Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Replaced exhaust, had check engine light.
Installed tokensolutions PNP kit.
Waited 30 mins, plugged in battery.
Drove 800 miles to Ohio. No check engine light.
Drove around for 4 days in Ohio. No check engine light.
Drove 800 miles home to MA from Ohio. No check engine light.
Drive around for a day in MA. No check engine light.
Hit 100 on the highway, pull off highway, check engine light comes on.

That was lunch hour today... Didn't have enough time to go to autozone and scan the code. This CEL is starting to annoy me. I'll let you know what the code is for later.

On a sidenote... I noticed that the o2sim has only 2 wires, not the 4 that an O2 sensor (and computer) have. I assume these are the signal wires, not the heater wires. But what happens to the heater circuit? If it is the heater circuit, then what happens to the sensor signal? Perhaps some information as to how this thing works and what it exactly does... I have like 2 weeks that i can get a sticker... Thanks :)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
If its just a CEL and not a flashing trac its likely to be due to something else. The plug that has only two wires is the o2 signal and heater signal, power and ground is pulled from the other plug.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
SUCCESS!!! Got a LEGAL inspection sticker about an hour ago!!!

So..... the phantom CEL came the other day, and then went away later on. It was a 1-1 O2 slow response, not even related to the O2sim from tokensolutions.

My father plugged in his DRB (Diagnostic readout box, what chrysler calls an OBDII reader - just kind of stuck for me) and read the code (old stored, no longer active). a B1S1 slow response kind of concerns me, but whatever it's not related to the O2 sim, and I got a sticker with it.

The only thing the DRB said is that the catalyst system wasn't ready still... But with only one test not ready, MA will still pass you for a sticker.

He's a 40 year mechanic and doesn't get impressed with stuff all too often, but the live readings from my 1-2 and 2-2 sensors blew his mind... they constantly give accurate (clean) readings and they fluctuate in the EXACT way a real sensor would.

A very impressive piece you have. A+++++++

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Thanks lextasy23.

The B1S1 might be preventing other diagnostics. On a local car a peep had headers installed and said he did not get the cat codes, I couldn't believe it. Instead he only had a heater code. When I took care of that, THEN the cat codes came up. Seems if the ECU finds one emissions fault, it won't look for others until its dealt with.

Same seems to apply to "limp mode" DTCs, the ECU will not perform other diagnostics until that one trip logic situation is dealt with.

Anyhow sounds like you need to replace the aging B1S1. Get the universal for cheap and splice it into the OE harness from the old sensor.

·
Registered
392 Posts
so with this PnP o2 would i need to buy 2? or is this one unit to do both sensors? about to turbo my car and will be using the FI/C. still havnt figured out this simulator stuff yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the search function payed off this time bigtime bro... anyway, so basically, bolt headers on, plug the end that match and number correctly and go..... sounds too good to be true. but everyone else is doing it sooo.... ordering some ebay headers and this plug play thing today... wish me luck....

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
so with this PnP o2 would i need to buy 2? or is this one unit to do both sensors? about to turbo my car and will be using the FI/C. still havnt figured out this simulator stuff yet.
Just one. It plugs into the 1-2 and 2-2 sensor harness and basically tells the computer the exhaust after the cats is clean. The 1-1 and 2-1 positions are supposed to have functioning sensors. They tell the computer what's actually happening, and the O2 sim tells the computer what should be happening. But without cats (like me) the exhaust smells a little. Lucky for me I love the smell. :) lol reminds me of my Mustang days...

the search function payed off this time bigtime bro... anyway, so basically, bolt headers on, plug the end that match and number correctly and go..... sounds too good to be true. but everyone else is doing it sooo.... ordering some ebay headers and this plug play thing today... wish me luck....
It'll work pissa. I hooked it up to an OBDII scanner/reader, and was watching the live outputs from the tokensolutions unit. Seriously, it's pretty funny watching actual readings from sensors that aren't even there. LMAO

·
Registered
122 Posts
As others have said, it works. but once you solve the post cat problem, then the other problems start showing up. In my case, now the ecu recognized that the primary oxygen sensors were slow, so I had to replace them but now everything is great.

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
Over 1000 miles without CEL since the PnP install :)
Ya I'm up around 2500... No problems with it.

It even got me out of a ticket because I told the cop the exhaust was legal. No check engine light and a legal sticker. lol he made me shut the car off and turn it back on to see if the CEL bulb actually came on or if I unplugged it... He tells me that unplugging the bulb is a "faulty equipment" ticket. Tried to make me sweat... I was like "nope, look..."

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
Ya I'm up around 2500... No problems with it.

It even got me out of a ticket because I told the cop the exhaust was legal. No check engine light and a legal sticker. lol he made me shut the car off and turn it back on to see if the CEL bulb actually came on or if I unplugged it... He tells me that unplugging the bulb is a "faulty equipment" ticket. Tried to make me sweat... I was like "nope, look..."
Very nice........

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yup! Same here... Easy PnP setup and i have had for about 2000miles now with my customized OEM Header cats cut and removed... no Problems!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
i have a 01 is and it throwing the p0420 code this o2 sim with a after market header sounds like the best way to go
I think you need to do quite a bit of research before you decide on anything. however i would agree the pnp o2 delete is a fantastic product. good luck.

fyi, cats dont just go bad by themselves. there is something causing the issue. i would get that fixed first then go with the o2 deletes and headers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have b1s2 dead and b2s2 dead i need 2 product o only 1?

21 - 40 of 99 Posts