Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my car in and need to have some things fixed. Has anyone had these problems and any suggestions to advise to the service manager?

1) A/C compressor makes loud noise when first turned on. Stays noisy until turned off.

2) Transmission shifting rough at times and sometimes becomes "confused" as to what gear to go in, then slams into gear. Very abrupt.

3) Brake calipers discoloring and rotors rusting.

4) Poor fuel mileage. I average 13-15 in city and no more than 21 on the freeway. And I drive moderately.

5) Driver door does not make the "thunk" sound like the other three doors. It almost sounds like a rattle when closed. When I hold the outside mirror and close the door, the noise isn't as evident. Possibly a loose mirror?

I think that's it. Send me your comments!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think I have the same problem with the AC. I will pay more attention to it and see if it happens more often. Might have to take it in too.

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
shifting has been a known issue. there has been numerous posts about this in the past...

as for the rotors...all rotors will rust a little when they get wet and sit for a while...just drive for a little while and they'll be back to normal...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
98 MB CLK 320 white
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra pearl white

·
Registered
418 Posts
From my experience, depending on your mileage the tranny alogrithm takes a while to adapt to your driving habits.. This should be fine after about 1500 miles or so... as far as rust collecting on brake rotors, that is pretty normal...especially after semi-warm humid days...caliper discoloration?? what color are they now, and what color were before??? I also, experienced better gas mileage after 3500 miles....Which coincendentally was a very similar behavior when I broke in my BMW...although the BMW did get better gas mileage...about 24 mi/gal..

The A/C on my IS300 does not make any noticeable noise...

I have experienced some moisture build inside
the passenger side headlamp unit, and will be replaced soon...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Problem #3 I also have run into rust and discoloration of the caliper and rotor. When I took it into the dealership, they told me that since the rotor is made of iron, it is common. Check out this thread for more info and pics: http://www.is300.net/forum_new/Forum7/HTML/000096.html

Problem #4 I drive in the city Mon-Fri and usually mix it up with highway driving on the weekends. My overall weekly mileage is around 19 MPG. However, I have had 2 bad weeks of 16 MPG and 15 MPG (just this last week actually) for no reason. I'm acutally planning on changing fuel brands to see if it makes a difference (I was using Exxon and now I'm gonna test out Ammoco). I know it probably shouldn't, but when I was driving my '87 Supra Turbo, filling up with Mobil actually increased the mileage

·
Registered
68 Posts
1) I don't have this problem.
2) mine does the same and very obvious between 2nd and 3rd before the first 500mi on Odo. Now the IS has about 1500mi and it is getting better.
3) normal
4) in the city stop and go traffic, I am getting about the same mileage. On freeway, I get about 22~23MPG using cruise control at 75 mph.
5) don't have this problem.

I hope this help

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses.

My IS has 8000 miles on it as of today. My transmission has shifted rough from 2nd to 3rd, but lately has shifted rough from 3rd to 4th. I've even reset the ECU 3 times! I just don't want to go to the stealer and have them tell me it's nothing. It's something to me. My personal opinion is that it's the ECU. The IS has no Kick-Down cable to the transmission, it's electronically controlled from the Electronic Throttle Body (drive by wire), so I think this causes some glitches in the ECU. I sure hope Lexus has a fix in the works. This is unacceptable in a vehicle of this caliber.

As for the brake rotors, I think I'll paint them this weekend. My calipers were the factory greenish color, but now are turning grayish in color in some areas. I don't know why. I think I'll paint these too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts