Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
The strength of schedule is based upon the records of all division one football teams. Same as with NCAA basketball strength of schedules. It compares like opponents, winning percentages, etc, etc. The strength of schedule is not argued with by anyone in the press or by coaches. The question is how much weight should be placed upon computer rankings, each loss, conference record, margin of victory, etc etc etc.

The argument for a 2 loss team playing for the national championship is that they have played the most difficult opponents. Miami and Ohio State have played a fair number of joke teams (Miami has wins over: Florida A&M, Temple, Connecticut and Rutgers, all of whom are *terrible. Ohio State has wins over: Texas Tech, Kent State, Cincinatti, Northwestern, Indiana and San Jose State, again all completely mediocre to *bad* teams). The worst teams USC played were Arizona and Auburn and they played 8 opponents ranked in the top 25 when they played them. OSU and Miami played 4 top25 teams each.

The top 8 teams in the country should have a playoff. The only argument against this is the fabled tradition of the "Tostidos Fiesta Bowl" and the rest of the corporate bowl games.

The Heisman trophy always has been and always will be about popularity or running backs who break 2000 yards.

Yeap, Cali boy here, the east coast bias in the polls/media is rediculous...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
belgron said:
The strength of schedule is based upon the records of all division one football teams. Same as with NCAA basketball strength of schedules. It compares like opponents, winning percentages, etc, etc. The strength of schedule is not argued with by anyone in the press or by coaches. The question is how much weight should be placed upon computer rankings, each loss, conference record, margin of victory, etc etc etc.
I know exactly how the stength of schedule is calulated, and that is one of my points. It is all about number crunching, which atleast IMO isn't accurate. THere is more to 'strength of schedule' than the other team's winning percentage. Look at the OU/OSU game this past week. OSU is a .500 team, if even, BUT every time OU plays them, it's a tough game. It's a rivalry game. That is not put into the strength of schedule.

The argument for a 2 loss team playing for the national championship is that they have played the most difficult opponents. Miami and Ohio State have played a fair number of joke teams (Miami has wins over: Florida A&M, Temple, Connecticut and Rutgers, all of whom are *terrible. Ohio State has wins over: Texas Tech, Kent State, Cincinatti, Northwestern, Indiana and San Jose State, again all completely mediocre to *bad* teams). The worst teams USC played were Arizona and Auburn and they played 8 opponents ranked in the top 25 when they played them. OSU and Miami played 4 top25 teams each.
I'm not going to argue about Miami's schedule. I won't even begin how I think all the hype they get is just a giant joke. I'm sorry, it's just getting pathetic. I understand they are undefeated for X amount of games, but unless you play every team (which is impossible in college football), that means nothing. And OSU. They've squeeked by so many close games. I understand they have won all their games, but again, winning all your games in a sport like this where there as so many teams isn't everything.

The top 8 teams in the country should have a playoff. The only argument against this is the fabled tradition of the "Tostidos Fiesta Bowl" and the rest of the corporate bowl games.
I agree there should be some sort of playoff, but then the arguement would switch to who should be let into the playoff, mimicking the same exact arguements that surface now about who should get into the National Championship game.

The Heisman trophy always has been and always will be about popularity or running backs who break 2000 yards.
Couldn't agree more.

Hook 'em.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so why can't they incoporate the bowls into the playoff? just have the fiesta be the national championship and the may rose and orange be semi and so forth.....can't wait to see what happen if Washington wins.....

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
TK288 said:
so why can't they incoporate the bowls into the playoff? just have the fiesta be the national championship and the may rose and orange be semi and so forth.....can't wait to see what happen if Washington wins.....
I personally think the playoff idea is a good one because it gives more teams a chagne, but I was was trying to say that the same arguements would exist. Instead of it being argued that a certain team should be allowed into the National Championship game, it would then be argued which teams should be allowed into the playoff.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Dernick said:
TK288 said:
I personally think the playoff idea is a good one because it gives more teams a chagne, but I was was trying to say that the same arguements would exist. Instead of it being argued that a certain team should be allowed into the National Championship game, it would then be argued which teams should be allowed into the playoff.
but at least, if a team can't make it to the top ten, then they don't deserve the playoff anyways. but at least the top 5 has will always be in and they are usually the ones with legitimate chance of going winning it all. of course there will be some cinderella (sp?) team, but usually they won't go all the way...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
TK288 said:
but at least, if a team can't make it to the top ten, then they don't deserve the playoff anyways. but at least the top 5 has will always be in and they are usually the ones with legitimate chance of going winning it all. of course there will be some cinderella (sp?) team, but usually they won't go all the way...
In college football, it can be argued that anyone in the top 25 can beat any other ranked team on any given day. IMO, no form of determining the national champion will ever be without controversy.

·
Cone Killer
7,315 Posts
Miami will play anyone and anywhere, that is their motto, and has always been. The problem is that teams are affraid to play Miami. Look at Notre Dame, they decided to call teh series off after Miami started spanking them. Just recently UF, decided to play Miami again, and it is only a home and home series.
Miami does play some sorry teams, one, because top teams are affraid to play against Miami, second the big east is not very strong in football yet. The conference is getting better since Miami joined.
If USC thiks it has such a great team, arrange a series with Miami, I am sure they will love to play against USC. Just as UCLA what happened last time they played against the Canes.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
METEORO said:
Miami will play anyone and anywhere, that is their motto, and has always been. The problem is that teams are affraid to play Miami. Look at Notre Dame, they decided to call teh series off after Miami started spanking them. Just recently UF, decided to play Miami again, and it is only a home and home series.
Miami does play some sorry teams, one, because top teams are affraid to play against Miami, second the big east is not very strong in football yet. The conference is getting better since Miami joined.
If USC thiks it has such a great team, arrange a series with Miami, I am sure they will love to play against USC. Just as UCLA what happened last time they played against the Canes.
No one is afraid of Miami at all. I can't believe some people's arrogance. I guess FSU was 'scared' when they almost beat Miami this year, not to mention how the below .500 Rutgers was right up there with Miami all through the first 3 quarters of the game. And no team is going to 'arrange a series' simply for this dumb reason. Let Miami get all arrogant and full of itself. Just wait, their day will come.

·
Registered
867 Posts
belgron said:

Very well stated!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Miami will be fucked once that fag dorsey leaves! oh yea and all those big lineman that get paid to save his scwarny ass! Ever notice that dorsey doesn't even have biceps? what a homo! I hope he gets screwed over in the heisman race, shit i would rather see mcgahee (sp?) win it over him, i think that might be rather humorous for him to lose it a second year in a row.

·
Registered
279 Posts
BWN 7 said:
TK288 said:
Honestly, after looking thru out the past year, I have to make a case that USC deserves to play in the national championship. Not only did they play well thru out the season, but they have the toughest schedule of the top 5 team in the BCS standing. And did anybody watch USC vs. ND on Saturday? That is the most lopsided victory ever. USC only held ND for 4 first downs and a 100 or so total yards. As for the Heisman trophy, the award is for the best player this year. It's not a team award or a lifetime achievement award. So, can sombody tell me how Brad Banks and Ken Dorsey are better then Carson Palmer as a QB?!?!?! Just look at the stats...so what's your take on the screw-up BCS selection?
Whew. I thought there might be some logic or a decent point in here.

In case you're stupid AND deaf:

:bitching: A 2 LOSS TEAM DOES NOT DESERVE TO PLAY FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP OVER AN UNDEFEATED TEAM!!!! :bitching:

There. As for the Heisman, I think Palmer is playing the best right now against the best opponents. He is probably going to be invited - but the East Coast bias does exist, unfortunately for him, and sports writers have shown from time to time how retarded they can be.
I think he deserves the Heisman.
true that

·
Registered
279 Posts
two things...keep the bowls strictly for the $$$$ but no BCS bowls and add on a couple weeks
take the top four teams AFTER bowls and play two weeks

if all the top four teams win bowls it would be

1vs4
2vs3

tear me apart now

and usc sucks.......balls

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
primetime69 said:
two things...keep the bowls strictly for the $$$$ but no BCS bowls and add on a couple weeks
take the top four teams AFTER bowls and play two weeks

if all the top four teams win bowls it would be

1vs4
2vs3

tear me apart now

and usc sucks.......balls
There would still be the arguement of who would get into the BCS bowls.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts