Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if many of you are aware of this, but I just recently found out myself.

Ever since I bought my IS back in July of 2000, I've experienced my car miss-shift between 2nd and 3rd gear many times coming out of turns or rolling acceleration. I've reported this problem to my dealer (Tustin Lexus in Southern California), and it seems Lexus is aware of this problem.

There have been many similar reports of the IS miss-shift between 2nd and 3rd gear... when you're powering out of a turn, or doing rolling acceleration, its seems though all of sudden, your car lost all power, just pauses for few seconds before the transmission kicks in gear.

Lexus is aware of this problem and is currently reprogramming the CPU that controlls the auto-transmission (I'm not sure when they'll finish). However, Lexus also mentioned because of resource requirements involved, only customers who complained about this problem will have their Transmission CPU replaced... which means they will not announce this issue nor will they voluntarily notify customers.

This this help anyone??

Ciao

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
old news, some know of it, some dont, do a search!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by siLveR_iS300:
so phil, did you get your done???
i think i need to get mine done sometime..

Well, I scheduled with Tustin Lexus already... They will call me when the chip is available for swap.

BTW, Tustin Lexus also told me that not all Lexus dealer knows about this problem... so if you visit your local Lexus dealer, and they end up not knowing anything about what you're talking about, have then refer to the Lexus Corporation, or call another Lexus dealer... some place big... for example: In So Cal, Longo Lexus, Tustin Lexus, Lexus of Westminister... etc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Phil... thanks for posting this!

It's apparently NOT old news is300soon cuz I asked about this exact condition and no one knew what is was. Everyone has discussed the hesistation off a roll at low speed, but this is not the same condition. This occurs on the 2-3 shift and it feels like the car is slipping bad between gears and then slams into 3rd. It's only happened to me a couple times, but it got my attention.

I will be contacting my dealership asap. Thanks again Phil!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
"The fix" involves two parts:

1> Reprogram the transmission control ECU (software update only)

2> Exchange the traction control ECU (which needs to be done so the traction control doesn't "fight" with the new transmission logic)

There is apparently a shortage of the trac ECUs so most dealers can't do anything for you until Lexus gets more of the Trac ECUs in stock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wonder if they have fixed these problems on the newer cars as mine has none of the problems that you experienced (thank God) though I have less than 1,000 miles on my car.
There is much confusion on this thread about the ECU and whether there is a problem and if so if there is a fix.
I am going to quiz my service dept next week when I get my 1,000 mile check and I'll post what they say. They are pretty good from what I hear and sell a lot of IS 300s.
Cheers

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Philharmonic:

Well, I scheduled with Tustin Lexus already... They will call me when the chip is available for swap.

BTW, Tustin Lexus also told me that not all Lexus dealer knows about this problem... so if you visit your local Lexus dealer, and they end up not knowing anything about what you're talking about, have then refer to the Lexus Corporation, or call another Lexus dealer... some place big... for example: In So Cal, Longo Lexus, Tustin Lexus, Lexus of Westminister... etc.
phil, please let me know when you get it done. and could you give me some names???service manager or something...thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
actually, I have less than 500 miles on my car and I've also noticed the shift jump issue between 2nd and 3rd gear. This happened during morning commute while I was going no faster than 30 mph. I would come to a complete stop, start to accelerate, the car would shift to 2nd, and the there would a delay and then hard shift into 3rd gear. I am going to talk to my Lexus dealership tomorrow. I'll post any information that I might find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts