Lexus IS Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
rusty97 said:
I've had 2 tranny's and they both exhibited the same hard to get into 2nd gear issue.

The weirdest thing about this tranny (felt on both) that I've had is that sometimes the gears are notchy, sometimes buttery smooth and sometimes feel like there's no lubricant. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to why or when but I can tell right away as I start driving as to which it's gonna be.
Thats how the 5-speeds are. Its very odd. Anyway I just thought I'd add my 2 cents even tho we have established this to not be a major problem: my 02 does the same "impossible to get into 2nd gear" in the morning. Double clutching does help but I worry this puts too much strain on a cold engine.

I have noticed if i leave the car running for 5-10 minutes while I get ready in the morning, 2nd gear USUALLY works... may wanna try that.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Since most people are having the problem with dealer fluid, and some people had it when switching to redline, and others said the problem disappeared when they went to redline, is there any possibility that it has to do with how much fluid is in there.

Has anyone who switched fluids and watched them change it noticed if they have the problem if they filled until some of the fluid started running out? Maybe the dealerers are only filling up to spec (2.6 Qts or whatever) and filling until you get some overflow makes a difference? Just a thought.

I had my fluid changed at the dealer this week, and shifting from 2 to 1 is nearly impossible if i'm not stopped. I know there's a lockout, but previously I didn't have any issues so long as I was going less than 5mph or so. It was really noticeable since I have to drive over speedbumps every day, so it was easy to tell that after the fluid change, the shifts were harder.

For those who DO have the issue, did you do the fluid change yourself, or verify that it was filled to overflow ... same question for those that don't.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.