Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw this thread:

http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=267566&page=2&pp=30

Brilliant! Makes me feel like a moron but...brilliant!

I've got one problem...

Ever since I bought the car (used) I've not been able to open the rear cupholder drawer.

It's VERY solid and doesn't move hardly at all when I pull on it. If I pulled harder, I think it would break. I can't see anything inside there either.

Anyone have ideas on what's holding it in?

Thx.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are all very fine, similar suggestions. But my goal is to have a usable cup holder in the end. That mofo is more than stuck, I promise. Glued, maybe.

Lubing and jerking has never gotten me very far in the past and I don't see how doing in the back of my IS will help.

(this next paragraph is ALL about my cup holder so keep you mind on the car not your "junk")

Is there anything that could be "sticking up" in there that's holding it closed? I've never seen one "pulled out" so I have no idea what it looks like. (lol)

Thanks again.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
maybe it's different in canada.
Look up instructions on how to change your armrest or how to disassemble your dash and you'll find a section on how to remove that area.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey Underrun, if u want i can snap a pic of the thing open, and you can try to determine from the pics if anything could be holding it stuck... I'll post a couple of pics later on tonite, I don't have the car here to take look at the cupholder

BTW where in Canada are you?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a lot jovica, that might do it (not that I needed to see the molecular structure of the plastic but the last pic is perfect).

The thread I mentioned at the top of this thread suggests lifting that divider thing up to remove it. I could imagine that it might be up now and catching on the upper wall.

All speculation, I'll have a peek tomorrow!

Thanks again!

(BTW, Georgetown, directly west of Toronto)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Lol... the molecular structure, eh? Should I give you +rep for that one?? Joking...

You're welcome

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
it should just come out with ease no force maybe the canadian model doesn't come with it or different cup holder than us spec.

·
Registered
265 Posts
LOL

it shouldn't be, mine is because the ashtray was replaced, and it ended up being the wrong colour, it's only noticable in photos, it all looks black to the eye.

Good eyes tho...

·
Registered
307 Posts
jovica said:
LOL

it shouldn't be, mine is because the ashtray was replaced, and it ended up being the wrong colour, it's only noticable in photos, it all looks black to the eye.

Good eyes tho...

i know exactly what your sayin, alot of cars interior plastic looks black but when u stare at it its some what off. usually a little navy :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
just find the part number and then order the clip thing, can't be more than $10 or so (more in Canadia) its not worth breaking the shit out of your rear cupholder to do so. Should just slide out, it is def glued or something if ur having this much trouble with it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's not a matter of just moving the divider up now. I've got to get that thing open!

It's the passenger side that's stuck and I see that the strip that acts as the bottom of the cup holder is broken. I think that the slot on the right is jammed some how. Currently looking for how to dismantle the armrest. :-/

(thx again for the pix jovica, +rep)

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
there was a how-to on this site regarding changing out to the 02+ armrest. it clearly shows how to remove your center console.

basically you have to do the following:

remove the chrome ring around the shifter.
pull the panel that houses the "trac off" and heated seats buttons.
remove leather boot around parking brake.
and a couple of screws underneath the carpet inside your armrest area.
do that, squeeze the sides of the front part of the console while lifting up the back end, and your console should pop right off.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts