Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just noticed today that my car kind of hesitates from when the car changes from 1st to 2nd. I know that there was the trac ECU update but that was for 2001 cars, mine is an early 2002. The problem im having is only when your rolling from a stop, as the car goes to change gear it kind of hesitates and then the car literally jumps into second and jerks you in your seat back and forth. Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem or if i should just take it to the dealer ASAP??? :-?

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
cousearchgh!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
search brings up things about the ECU update which only applies to cetain VIN#s from 2001, my car being a 2002, this doesnt apply.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
sorry :(

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its alright man, im just a little heated because of this whole situation. My bros engine blew last week (S2000) and now my car is having tranny problems. I just hope i dont have to pay out of pocket. Sorry you took anything i said offensivly. Thanks for helpin :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
2nd gear

Actually, I've noticed that my 2003 IS does that too from time to time. It only has 900 miles so far and the shift to 2nd seems a little delayed like ur car. But not always. Also, when i don't completely stop at a stop sign and the tranny starts in 2nd instead of 1st there is a jerk as the tranny suddenly catches after a little delay(around 15% of the time). :-? 1st gear doesn't do that tho. I have to depress the accel very slowly and gradually if i don't want it to jerk at all. I wonder if this is a more common problem than one would think. I've been browsing this forum for a while now and i've read others having this problem also. Well, I"m sorry i couldn't be more help to you, but i just wanted to share my similar experience. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have an early 2002 and had the same problem. I took it to Lexus and much to my surprise, they installed an ECU update. The problem was mostly solved but there is still a slight hesitation on the 1 to 2 shift.

The sticker they put under the hood states:

ECU cal 35302200

Change Authority: tsib EG-00402

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
That is like the exact problem the '01's had. I'd say try the update. The tbko shift kit will help shifts too, which I recommend. Although, it is not a solution to your problem...over all it helps.

I will mine for sale, I believe, shortly. Keep and eyeball out --> :eek:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have an 02 IBP with an AT and it does the exact same thing that you've described. I just figured that all AT IS300's did that, but now I'm kinda wondering if this is normal or not.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: 2nd gear

IS sambeck said:
Actually, I've noticed that my 2003 IS does that too from time to time. It only has 900 miles so far and the shift to 2nd seems a little delayed like ur car. But not always. Also, when i don't completely stop at a stop sign and the tranny starts in 2nd instead of 1st there is a jerk as the tranny suddenly catches after a little delay(around 15% of the time). :-? 1st gear doesn't do that tho. I have to depress the accel very slowly and gradually if i don't want it to jerk at all. I wonder if this is a more common problem than one would think. I've been browsing this forum for a while now and i've read others having this problem also. Well, I"m sorry i couldn't be more help to you, but i just wanted to share my similar experience. Good luck!
My car does this too. When I first got it, it seemed to do it all the time. I thought that the tranny had to break in or something. Now that I see that I am not alone I am not so sure. I am taking mine in tomorrow to see what they say about that.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I forgot to post...

The ecu flash and trac ecu replacement fixed it though.

·
Registered
11 Posts

myIS300 said:
IS sambeck said:
My car does this too. When I first got it, it seemed to do it all the time. I thought that the tranny had to break in or something. Now that I see that I am not alone I am not so sure. I am taking mine in tomorrow to see what they say about that.
I was going to mention this problem at my 1k service too. Let me know what they say...good luck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
Take it to the deale rand let them deal with it.!!!!!!!!!

you shouldnt stress over it, thats their job! :wink:
That was my idea, except it doesnt happen all the time. So I dont want a "Cannot replicate" on my work order. Oh well, we shall see.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
myIS300 said:
bgwillyBadassIS31 said:
Take it to the deale rand let them deal with it.!!!!!!!!!

you shouldnt stress over it, thats their job! :wink:
That was my idea, except it doesnt happen all the time. So I dont want a "Cannot replicate" on my work order. Oh well, we shall see.
thats exactly what im afraid of, it seems that every time i go to a dealership to question about something they always seem to not be able to replicate it themselves so i get nothing solved. Im going to another dealer this time. It just great to know that you guys are having the same problems. For a minute i thought that it was my car that was having trouble and i would have to pay. When u guys go to the dealer print out this post and see what the service guys say, Im gonna do it

·
Registered
703 Posts
BUTRBALL: Your problem is normal in every automatic IS. Mine does it too, the TeCK ground kit and the ESK together help it out, but it cant be prefected. It is something we gotta live with for buying an automatic.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i understand that but i have a teck kit installed and this problem only started happening yesterday. Ive had the the car for over 6 months and ive noticed that natural lag that our auto s have but yesterday it got really bad which had me worried. The feeling is almost like being in the car with someone who has just learn to drive a manual tranny. When they switch gears you feel them alot and you kind of get thrown into your seat, thats the feeling im gettin and i dont think its a simple ECU problem, ive been reading around and i think it may have something to do with the torque converter. Im gonna go to the dealer and have them check it out, ill let you guys know how it goes. :-?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is a known problem. I mentioned the problem to my dealer and he said there was a Lexus Tech Note regarding the problem. You can see the tech service bulletin at Edmunds.

Here's the summary:
SOME VEHICLES INCLUDING THE IS300 SPORTCROSS EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC SOME VEHICLES INCLUDING THE IS300 SPORTCROSS EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC SOME VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TRANSMISSION MAY EXHIBIT A MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC INDICATOR LAMP ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE P0300 - P-306 AND HARSH 2-3 TROUBLE CODE P0300 - P-306 AND/OR HARSH 2-3 SHIFTS DURING ACCELERATION. *TT TROUBLE CODE P0300 - P-306 AND/OR HARSH 2-3 SHIFTS DURING ACCELERATION. *TT SHIFTS. *TT
My dealer reprogrammed the ECU. It wasn't immediately better, but the shifting got much smoother after driving about 100 miles or so. Before the fix, driving in stop and go traffic would cause my car to shift and jerk excessively.

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts

myIS300 said:
IS sambeck said:

again

3 strikes and your out..

dunno what to tell you!?

David

·
Registered
234 Posts
FireBelly said:
BUTRBALL: Your problem is normal in every automatic IS. Mine does it too, the TeCK ground kit and the ESK together help it out, but it cant be prefected. It is something we gotta live with for buying an automatic.
I'm inclined to agree with FireBelly on this one. I don't think our tranny's like lower RPM's much. I've always driven manual trannys so I figured I was still getting used to an auto, but the more I drive, the more I think that's the way its supposed to be. Stop and go traffic can be a real drag sometimes though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts