Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
while driving my car tonight, i noticed two things:

1. while shifting from 1 to 2nd (or maybe its 2nd to 3rd), i can hear this knocking sound coming from the rear of the car.

2. while going 45 mph and when the engine hits 4k RPM, it just holds there and it won't shift…..engine sounds like it hit the rev limiter.

so what is wrong. this is a 2001 auto, with no VB upgrade, has tranny cooler and only about 20 miles with turbo kit.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
#2 sounds like a software issue. CEL's or limp mode.

#1 You know as well as the rest of us that simply installing a turbo won't have any effect on shifting or the differential during normal use. Especially with only 20 miles on the turbo kit. This is unrelated.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
You have the Tec3 right? If so, make sure the Auxilary output is enabled for the tranny, that's if you wired it to control the shifting.

If you're using a stock base map or a base map for a manual, the Aux output will not be enabled. I think PFS uses Aux output 2 for this, check your software like De said.

Kane

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marc is right, i have an emanage.

there is no CEL or anything. the car runs fine, besides the two mentioned problems. the knocking noise is actually pretty noticeable.

i have just installed the injector harness and played around with the emanage supporting tool, but i dont think this would have an impact on the shifting.

Prior to this, the car has been redlined twice. besides that, i never really pushed it hard because i know its not tuned and is missing the VB upgrade.

now i cant even drive it to the shop to get the VB upgrade. was suppose to do that this week. :(

any other suggestions guys?

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
#1 - Why are you redlining a turbo setup that hasnt proven to be "in good working shape" yet?

#2 - What code has your car thrown... have you disconnected ur battery to reset the ECU - once u figured out what caused it?

I highly suggest you stop abusing your car until you have logged some miles on your turbo setup. That is a fact that is overlooked by many inexperienced DIYers.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think i will make a video tonight for you guys to see.

and thanks for the heads up rich. same goes for everyone else.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Oops! sorry, was thinking of somebody else I guess.

Well I have no clue now what the issue could be, is there a harsh vibration associated with this noise? Does it seem to increase with speed rapidly?

Good idea, a video might be very helpful.

Kane

TDLI said:
marc is right, i have an emanage.

there is no CEL or anything. the car runs fine, besides the two mentioned problems. the knocking noise is actually pretty noticeable.

i have just installed the injector harness and played around with the emanage supporting tool, but i dont think this would have an impact on the shifting.

Prior to this, the car has been redlined twice. besides that, i never really pushed it hard because i know its not tuned and is missing the VB upgrade.

now i cant even drive it to the shop to get the VB upgrade. was suppose to do that this week. :(

any other suggestions guys?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
look under the car and check to see if exhaust pipes are hanging looseley enough to knock against items under the car.

Reset your ECU. Hold the brake for 30 seconds and then let it sit for like 45 min.
Try dat.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry guys, did get the chance to make a video last night. i will do that tonight.

come to think of it, the knocking noise isnt really knocking noise...its like a poping sound........

oh and thanks for the email de. i got it.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
i remember that when my car was cold it didn't like to shift into 5th on it's own, but would do it w/ eshift. It's a common boosted problem though and when the car warms up it goes away. i'm pretty sure this isn't what you are talking about though.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IS_Dude said:
i remember that when my car was cold it didn't like to shift into 5th on it's own, but would do it w/ eshift. It's a common boosted problem though and when the car warms up it goes away. i'm pretty sure this isn't what you are talking about though.
wait a minute, i wanted to post this however i was unsure, but, i am almost sure that it shifted when i was using eshift. however, when it was in auto-mode, thats when it wouldnt shift.

i will have to confirm that tonight.

but the car was warmed up though....

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
you have to describe the problem better.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, after another drive tonight, i dont think its the tranny.

some background:

1. just installed emanage injector harness. i am 99% i hooked up everything right. followed TE's diagram, but there were two left over wires (channel A & B)

2. did some play around with the supporting tool on my laptop and i dont think i changed any settings or anything.....i am 90% sure.

now, it seems like the car is cutting power. (if the car is running rich, would the ecu cut power automatically?)

so here are the videos:

1. rev getting cut off

2. rev getting cut off 2

3. bogging i dont know if this happened before (per injector harness install) because i never had any problems.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Brandon..

you have to be the most paranoid person I've ever come across..

everything SOUNDS fine...

the 3rd video with the black smoke, is perfectly normal, especially considering the lack of cats on the car..

relax, and drive the damn car a few HUNDRED miles, then report back...its quite possible that the little issues you seem to have might just go away...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
marc, it wont shift and i dont think thats normal. maybe the smoke is normal and i just wanted to make sure.

i know i am paranoid. only with the car though.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
TDLI said:
marc, it wont shift and i dont think thats normal. maybe the smoke is normal and i just wanted to make sure.

i know i am paranoid. only with the car though.
did you use E-shift to force it to shift? it sounded like in the video you were just flooring it? correct me if i'm wrong

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
Sounds like an uber rich or lean spot... check your map in the 4000-4500 range. Also check the timing, since you just installed the ignition harness.

The popping you are hearing from the "rear" of the car is your exhaust... it can be quite loud when the car hits a very poorly tuned spot like that.

Details:

When you go so rich or lean that the motor can't even run, it acts as a rev limiter (engine can't make it past a certain RPM/load because the tuning is bad there). If your map is fine above that point, it's possible you might be able to use the eshift to "cheat" past the bad spot in the map...

I would recommend fixing this asap. It's not good for your motor to run like that ever... even to show us videos.

·
Not Officially Back
12,742 Posts
I might also be willing to bet that you can "inch" past the spot... making sure you stay out of boost. Often times your boost map will be fuxored, but if you keep it in vacuum and gently raise the RPMs it doesn't exhibit the same behavior.

I say this because it seemed fine when rev'ing in neutral, and I believe I heard you say "It's fine until you floor it".

I smell a problem with the fuel or timing map @ 4000 rpms in positive pressure.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts