Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I got my car back from the idiots who painted my lip. They had to take the fuel door off to match the paint.

Ok, when they put the lid back on a few days later and I get my car back, I go to work. I go to the gas station after...

Put like 50 cents in, gas pump clicks and stops...I release the handle and pump some more...keeps on clicking...I get mad..."why the hell are they out of premium!!!!"

I go down the street...same thing

I go to a different station...same thing

I end up having to fill my tank up by putting about 50-70 cents in at a time. WHen its near 8 bucks or so it starts to work properly.

WHY!?!?!?

One thing I noticed today whil attempting to fill up.........I could have sworn there was a little metal flap over the filler pipe hole when you take the gas lid off. There is none now.

Let me know if I'm imagining things or what. And if it is supposed to have a flap....how the hell do you get another one and is it because of the lack of flap and the pressurized fuel system that this happens?

I am really starting to hate cars. I have 0 luck with em.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Search Thoug My post i posted with the same problems with my tank and its still doin it...its takes about 15 minutes to fill my tank...whoever pumps my gas gotta stand by my car and just keep puttin it back in cause it keeps popping

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yea, that same exact shit happens to me EVERY TIME I FILL UP! its so anoying...i have to stand there and it keeps clicking saying that its a full tank...only it doesnt stop till i turn my car on and it tells me its full... :pissed:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw your post...no one really had an answer.

I mean, can 1 thing be wrong? Why does it happen all of a sudden, ya know?

·
Registered
975 Posts
What if you just bearly put the pump in the whole and pump? Shouldn't it then fill all the way up w/o stopping?

Not a complete soultion but better than starting and stopping for 15 minutes.

·
Registered
502 Posts
mattssi said:

I know its very annoying i don't evn have to fill it p ..even when i jst put 1 dollars in it click and keeps cliking......Yeah No-1 really gave me any answers...But some-1 said theres a certain way to hold it....i made the guy d it and it didn't click as much....only once or twice....And I think it does it because of my system and my system losen the bolts and everythig cause my system unloosened my back bumper also.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had that problem a few times at the pump. I go to the same Amoco Sation every fillup (what can I say, I am a loyal customer :wink: ). That has happened to me 2 times so far w/ my car. I have had it now for 6 months. One thing I found that works is to not put the nozzle inside the tank opening 100%. Try pumping with the nozzle only 2/3 of the way in the tank opening. It solved my little problem.

You know mattssi I have to agree w/ you. I also thought that the gas tank opening had a metal flap that was pushed out of the way when we started pumping gas. Does anyone actually have a flap on their opeing or are we all imagining things??? :-? I freaking hope it didn't break off and fall inside the tank :x

mattssi: I have those pics of the Detroit IS Meet. as I said before they are not the best pictures but I still had a blast hanging out w/ you guys :D !!! I'll post sometime tomorrow after I turn in this term paper for school...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
White Lex19 said:
mattssi said:

I know its very annoying i don't evn have to fill it p ..even when i jst put 1 dollars in it click and keeps cliking......Yeah No-1 really gave me any answers...But some-1 said theres a certain way to hold it....i made the guy d it and it didn't click as much....only once or twice....And I think it does it because of my system and my system losen the bolts and everythig cause my system unloosened my back bumper also.
i have experienced this too
since then i have been inserting the nozzle 3/4 of the way in
it works soo far

·
Registered
218 Posts
Been happening to me for a while. I just make my girlfriend get out of the car and fumble around with it, while I sit back and light a cigarette and make some phone calls. It is a pain that filling up is now a 10 minute ordeal though.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
I had the same problem w/ my 2nd car...to make the clicking/stopping happen less often...you can't depress the gas nozzle all the way..prolly about half...it still takes forever..but its faster..

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Pull the nozzle out and let the vapor disperse. The vapor gets trapped in by that rubber gasket thing and triggers the pump to stop.

Pull the nozzle out about halfway and pump that way. Should eleviate the problem.

·
Legacy Mod
6,093 Posts
HoustonLex has it right on the money, this happens because the Vapors are not being vented properly there are ways to fix it however to live with it until you have the dealer look at the vent tube you can do like HoustonLex said don't stick the nozzle in so far, also you can pull back on the rubber gasket with your hand to break the seal so the vapors can escape.

HoustonLex said:
Pull the nozzle out and let the vapor disperse. The vapor gets trapped in by that rubber gasket thing and triggers the pump to stop.

Pull the nozzle out about halfway and pump that way. Should eleviate the problem.

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
HAHAHA.. I was wondering how the removal of a gas lid could cause this :roll:

The vapor pressure seems to be on the right track. Good Luck.

Next time no need to tell us of your boring bodyshop stories. One has nothing to do with the other.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BigDaddyRich said:
HAHAHA.. I was wondering how the removal of a gas lid could cause this :roll:

The vapor pressure seems to be on the right track. Good Luck.

Next time no need to tell us of your boring bodyshop stories. One has nothing to do with the other.

DOn't read em then retard.

Well, the body shopped messed up my gas lid, kept having to drill the rivets out because they didn't get the right ones, kept pulling the rubber grommetty thing off around the gas tube. Who knows...maybe they hit something while f'in around the 5 days they had my car to match paint. I would'nt put it past these guys.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And what about the "metal flap" the closes off the gas pipe when you don't have the pump in?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
HoustonLex and Impulse are exactly right. Same thing with my 01 IS. Definitely has to do with ambient temperature and pressure in the tank. The pump has a built-in mechanism triggered by the vapor pressure. I can't recall if it's more frequent during hot or cold temps. Hasn't happened enough I guess to notice. Interesting if we've got faulty vents (but it is normal to hear that gush of air/pressue when you just shut off your car and open the gas tank to fill it).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Finally, I had this problem 2 times now and each time I feel like an idiot cause I feel stupid for not being able to pump gas. It keeps poping out and because I use credit card, I pump like 30 cents of gas in. One time I had to move the car to another pump which got really ignoring cause I had to shut the engine everying time, I had to restart the car 3 times!!!
I hope the vapor gettin trapped is the reason. But another reason for this could be the hose gettin tangle up sometimes.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
About this Discussion
39 Replies
24 Participants
guitarplay162
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing