Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO i was talking to the lexus racing team, and they said straight up the PLP intake nets the most HP gains by itself without adjusting an ECU, etc...

Does anybody disagree with that via dyno or thier own experience.

Adam

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
I disagree...but do a serch.

I dont bother with intakes no more. Why spend all this money for a few hp.

Mike from PLP makes a great product though. Can't deny.

I recommend SRT>

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
what De? you said why spend all that money for a few more HP when you spend atleast $400 more for a few more than a PLP?

give me a break dude...not tuggin your balls...just stating the facts.

a PLP costs $240 shipped (PLP site, most people get it for cheaper) and dyno's about 8/8 hp/tq...other people have proven this...

the SRT costs $695 + shipping (SRT site, most people get it for around $600) and dyno's about 12/12 hp/tq. (i don't believe that dyno on their website...36 ft/lb torque??) my number 12/12 were other people's dyno's.

which one is actually the better deal here? SRT also limits future mods because the R-ECU is intangible.

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
What meant was...if you're gonna do the intake thing...then get the SRT. It's the best out there.

If you want real power, don't do anything at all...just tape a turbo or a supercharger to your engine.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
SophieSleeps said:
What meant was...if you're gonna do the intake thing...then get the SRT. It's the best out there.

If you want real power, don't do anything at all...just tape a turbo or a supercharger to your engine.
word to that...but he said is PLP is the best intake W/OUT messin w/ ECU bla bla bla...u still disagree? meaning, either Injen, AEM, Joe-Z, Lextacy, K&N are better?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
lilaznboi said:
SophieSleeps said:

word to that...but he said is PLP is the best intake W/OUT messin w/ ECU bla bla bla...u still disagree? meaning, either Injen, AEM, Joe-Z, Lextacy, K&N are better?
I didn't read that part about messin with the ecu.
I think if you don' t mess wit the ecu...it really don't matter which one you get.

I got a 10rwhp increase when I dyno'd after unplugging my battery for 10 min. So i believe hp differences are trivial when the numbers differ so slightly. I believe in theory... that in order to take advantage of more, air, you have to adjust for fuel. That's why I recommend SRT.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by just looking at the design, the PLP makes the most sense because it uses intake from the grill, instead of inside the car, like the most.

And the other point where the factory racing team said it nets the most HP

Adam

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
Adpec said:
the PLP makes the most sense because it uses intake from the grill, instead of inside the car, like the most.
What do you mean by this. It uses the stock airbox.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it is very basic. It only consists of a new tube, it looks like from the photo. I am going to call PLP tomorow. It looks very close to stock, but from the design it brings in the most air, as long as the airbox does not restrict airflow.

Adam

·
Not Officially Back
12,205 Posts
Wait... at one point wasn't there some weird intermingling of PLP and the lexus racing team? A sponsorship or something?

I have a PLP sfi and didn't notice much difference at all after I installed it. It keeps the factory airbox and replaces the stock filter with a high flow one... it is silent though.. hardly any noise.

I switched the whole thing out with an open element intake (NEOFlow, still in development, I've got a test model) and actually felt some gains plus it had a nice sound... I'm not putting my PLP back in anytime soon.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dasgalloway

So you think the 8 hp gain they claim is BS. Mabye I will rethink what I am going to get. Do you think mabye because it is silent that it makes you think the gains are minimal??

Adam

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
dasgalloway said:
Wait... at one point wasn't there some weird intermingling of PLP and the lexus racing team? A sponsorship or something?

I have a PLP sfi and didn't notice much difference at all after I installed it. It keeps the factory airbox and replaces the stock filter with a high flow one... it is silent though.. hardly any noise.

I switched the whole thing out with an open element intake (NEOFlow, still in development, I've got a test model) and actually felt some gains plus it had a nice sound... I'm not putting my PLP back in anytime soon.
FYI...someone wants it in the buy/trade forum :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,849 Posts
lilaznboi said:
what De? you said why spend all that money for a few more HP when you spend atleast $400 more for a few more than a PLP?

give me a break dude...not tuggin your balls...just stating the facts.

a PLP costs $240 shipped (PLP site, most people get it for cheaper) and dyno's about 8/8 hp/tq...other people have proven this...

the SRT costs $695 + shipping (SRT site, most people get it for around $600) and dyno's about 12/12 hp/tq. (i don't believe that dyno on their website...36 ft/lb torque??) my number 12/12 were other people's dyno's.

which one is actually the better deal here? SRT also limits future mods because the R-ECU is intangible.
Just remember one thing, you will get what you pay for.

Our intake has been in production for over 2.5 years and have proven itself to produce over 200RWHP with cars that have the header/midpipe/exhaust, running 14.7sec in the quarter or faster.

Our intake comes with four layer silicone couplings, 3.5" intake tubing, MAF tubing and adapter that are CNC machined to +/-0.0001" accuracy, CNC machined aluminum heatsheild (first to do such in an IS in the industry), High flow lifetime AFE cone filter, Preprogrammed piggy back ecu usable with the headers, midpipe, exhaust (plug and play). Silicone vacuum lines. When you have all these components you can easily see why ours cost more.

Compared to PLP, theirs comes with an intake tube, silicone couplings and a drop in high flow panel filter. (I apologize if I left out anything, that is what PLP customers have said it comes with).

So when you compare Price points, you are comparing Apples to Oranges.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Swift Racing Technologies said:
Just remember one thing, you will get what you pay for.

So when you compare Price points, you are comparing Apples to Oranges.
Enough said right there...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just a quick bit of information, we will be releasing our PLP Power Pipes that are manufactured from 6061 mandrel-bent aluminum piping and features a unique, black hammer tone powdercoating that reduces heat soak and enhances looks it also includes a laser cut heatshield, preprogrammed ECU that will support mods such as header/exhaust and the like for under $500 retail. We will also have a retrofit kit available for the present Silent Flow Intake owners. Be sure to check our website for new releases often. Pro Lex Performance the company that manufactures street and race proven performance products that are unmatched in performance, quality and value.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
IS Pilot said:
Just a quick bit of information, we will be releasing our PLP Power Pipes that are manufactured from 6061 mandrel-bent aluminum piping and features a unique, black hammer tone powdercoating that reduces heat soak and enhances looks it also includes a laser cut heatshield, preprogrammed ECU that will support mods such as header/exhaust and the like for under $500 retail. We will also have a retrofit kit available for the present Silent Flow Intake owners. Be sure to check our website for new releases often. Pro Lex Performance the company that manufactures street and race proven performance products that are unmatched in performance, quality and value.
cool...but I'd rather have the voretch. :wink:
I'd like to add that the PLP parts look pretty...and I for one like that! 8)

mike - short shifters in stock yet?

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
IMO, the strength of the SRT intake lies in the professionally tuned R-ECU. As for intake design, I believe the PLP (or OEM with better flowing elbow) is superior. If PLP can come up with a comparable A/F ECU, it would prove to be the best setup. I say this because the stock setup has some ram air functionality built in and is a cold air intake....you basically throw that advantage out the window when you convert it into an internal cone element.

Irregardless of that, the best intake "system" at the moment is definitely the SRT.

·
Registered
312 Posts
IS Pilot said:
:eek: THATs AWESOME!! I cant wait for that!! Just quick question...how many MORE hp will the retrofit kit add!?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.