Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
My car got totaled last month and I've been looking for a car to replace it. I've decided that a second Gen is350 is the best bang for the buck in terms of reliability, features, and fun-factor.
Unfortunately the listings for is350's are rare here in the Seattle area. There are a few with around 150-160k miles going for around 7.5-10k and I was wondering if purchasing such a car would be wise. I'm decently mechanically inclined and can do most maintenance myself but don't have the tools or knowledge to do most specialized repairs. I'd like the car I end up getting to need the least amount of repairs possible.
I'm a student in my last year right now so my funds are relatively limited until I'm working post-graduation in hopefully 6 months which is why I'm emphasizing reliability. I've been bussing to campus for the first couple weeks of this quarter but really hope to have a car soon because my commute takes around 3-6 hours per day instead of the 40 minutes round trip it would take by driving.
The listings I'm curious about are first, an 06 is350 with 160k miles listed for 8.3k and second, an 09 is350 with 153k miles listed for 10.3k.
When looking at used cars I inspect them pretty thoroughly (obd2 scanner, acceleration and braking test, checking under the hood, etc) (I'm using a checklist by ChrisFix lol don't make fun of me) and I usually bring my friend who's training to be a mechanic to look at the cars too. Is it still worth it to pay a mechanic to look at the cars anyways? The lexus dealership near me doesn't offer pre-purchase inspections so I'd have to go to some other place.
Can an is350 with 150-160k miles be that kind of purchase for me or would I be better served waiting and finding a listing for a car with less miles?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also I want to thank all of you that read my unnecessarily long and detailed post and appreciate any thoughts relating to my upcoming purchase! :)

·
3,360 Posts
Hey everyone!
My car got totaled last month and I've been looking for a car to replace it. I've decided that a second Gen is350 is the best bang for the buck in terms of reliability, features, and fun-factor.
Unfortunately the listings for is350's are rare here in the Seattle area. There are a few with around 150-160k miles going for around 7.5-10k and I was wondering if purchasing such a car would be wise. I'm decently mechanically inclined and can do most maintenance myself but don't have the tools or knowledge to do most specialized repairs. I'd like the car I end up getting to need the least amount of repairs possible.
I'm a student in my last year right now so my funds are relatively limited until I'm working post-graduation in hopefully 6 months which is why I'm emphasizing reliability. I've been bussing to campus for the first couple weeks of this quarter but really hope to have a car soon because my commute takes around 3-6 hours per day instead of the 40 minutes round trip it would take by driving.
The listings I'm curious about are first, an 06 is350 with 160k miles listed for 8.3k and second, an 09 is350 with 153k miles listed for 10.3k.
When looking at used cars I inspect them pretty thoroughly (obd2 scanner, acceleration and braking test, checking under the hood, etc) (I'm using a checklist by ChrisFix lol don't make fun of me) and I usually bring my friend who's training to be a mechanic to look at the cars too. Is it still worth it to pay a mechanic to look at the cars anyways? The lexus dealership near me doesn't offer pre-purchase inspections so I'd have to go to some other place.
Can an is350 with 150-160k miles be that kind of purchase for me or would I be better served waiting and finding a listing for a car with less miles?
Wrong section. Follow the rules. Try looking in the
Cars for Sale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts