1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to let everyone know ...

As if this was not to be expected ...

Here is the reply I received from Priceline.com

"We're sorry, but your offer for a new 2001 Lexus IS 300 Luxury Sport Sdn 4dr Sdn
was not accepted."

The offering price I made? $31,800. I added up the invoice price, with the options I wanted. Totaled them up and added 4% to the invoice price with options. Rejected.

I did limit my choices to Graphite Grey Pearl, which was done for a reason.

I'm dealing with two Lexus dealers within a 70 mile radius of each other. One is local for me and the other is within an hour's drive for me.

I didn't want to foil my negotiations with my local dealer, so I opted to see if my offer would be accepted by the Lexus dealer that is an hour away from me.

I honestly believe that one can get this car, fully loaded for under $33,000, excluding tax, title and license.

Play hardball. Show interest, but don't committ. Make them work for it. Have other brochures in your car (if you do a trade in) or on hand to let the sales person you are interested in other makes and models. Don't tell them what you can afford each month. Tell them what you are willing to pay for the car and then worry about the monthly costs later. And finally, when buying, show up an hour or so before the dealership closes. Five or six hours into the negotiation process can do wonders on the price of the automobile.

Thoughts/Comments?

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
I wish they'd get rid of those commercials with William Shatner.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree on the hardball part but don't expect to swing a good deal before the car comes out. Demand seems reasonabely high and dealers are probably going to want sticker plus a little. I'm waiting for the manual cars to come and will probably buy used. The only option I want is LSD so I'm hoping to do $28k in a couple years if I buy new. With Lexus though I wonder if it's even possible to find a base car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Limited Slip Differential won't come on a Base model. Difficult task to find that price unless it is used.(excuse me, previously owned)All things are possible to those who wait....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts