Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am thinking of buying an used IS300 2003 model which was keyed in all around by some moron(s). The current owner repainted & buffed it so well that i could'nt find any difference.

What do you think is the price and other impact on buying this car?

Thanks in Advance for your inputs

-K

·
8,849 Posts
$500 :-?
Was the whole car repainted?
In order to properly color-match the new paint, a large area is painted when any work is done.
The upside is that the car would have less paint-chips.
My whole left side was repainted to remove scratches and it looks very much close to the way it was. There are a few minor things only I know and notice.

If all of the work was done at a competent body shop, a repainted car would be a better investment than a smoker's car (from a thread in the past).

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
check out the car under different lighting...
sometimes at dusk, you may notice differences
or under parking lot lighting (esp. the orange lights)

·
8,849 Posts
Also check for Orange Peel - when paint has "ripples" in it.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
juniorsdad said:
check out the car under different lighting...
sometimes at dusk, you may notice differences
or under parking lot lighting (esp. the orange lights)
Those orange lights really do show everything. I hate them. :pissed:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Hey Guys,

Thanks again.

Vld_a, Yes you remembered it right.
It looks certainly better than Smoked car ;-)

Any suggestion on good price to offer? Edmunds says 25.5 for clean condition car with that mileage (2003) and 23.9 for average conditions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If the car was just keyed and there was no structural damage then you are probably not going to get him down to 23.9. Plus you said that you could not find anything wrong with it. I say offer 24.5 and be happy with it, it is after all a better car than a smokers car.

·
8,849 Posts
If you can get it for 24K, go for it!!! 8)

·
Apricot idea killer
17,994 Posts
the HUGE question should be - how did you find out about it being keyed?? - was it an insurance claim?? - do you plan on reselling the car after a few years??? - i would think that you're in a good position since you KNOW about it - you can knock down the price and if you sell to someone else, you don't necessarily need to let them know - it's dick, but hey.......

·
Registered
42 Posts
if the repaint was performed through the insurance, then the insurance company will be the good source about how much it would affect the value of the car.

if no records can be found under the VIN, then repainting issue shouldn't affect the value of the car, unless you can really tell the difference in color just by looking at it.

$.02

·
8,849 Posts
waapples said:
if the repaint was performed through the insurance, then the insurance company will be the good source about how much it would affect the value of the car.

if no records can be found under the VIN, then repainting issue shouldn't affect the value of the car, unless you can really tell the difference in color just by looking at it.

$.02
:-? :-? :-?
That doesn't make sence. How would insurance company that paid for the repairs know how the repairs affected overall value of the car?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again

interesting points. I don't think it shows up in VIN (car fax).
I am going to take the car to the dealer. If he can find the difference in paint then I should be worried otherwise I am fine.

I will keep you guys posted.

-K

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
The dealer will be able to find the differences.
The way it is done is by feeling the edges of the body with your fingers.
Factory paint is smooth, whereas bodyshop's paint is not.

You're right, CarFax is unlikely to have that report.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
When my car got keyed....(passenger side) it cost me close to 3 grand to repaint that half of the car. To do it right they have to take everything apart, paint and put it back. Insurance paid for the paint job.

The orange lights you guys are referring to are High Pressure Sodium (bright orange) or Low Pressure Sodium (darker orange). They show everything because they put out a shitload of lumens. You could also try looking at the paint job under halogen shop lights. They are usually 500 watt and up and are bright as fock. They will show you everything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
vlad_a said:
waapples said:

$.02
:-? :-? :-?
That doesn't make sence. How would insurance company that paid for the repairs know how the repairs affected overall value of the car?

well, i got this idea from my personal experience...

when my integra was totalled and my insurance company was about to pay me $$$, i was able to find whole list of repairs(mostly damages caused by the collisions) that were done to my car.

they gave me the paper work showed the things that i've gone through with them to repair the front bumper and etc due to the minor collisions that i had, & repairs done my previous owner's insurance company too.

basically the data showed the repairs(mostly body repairs) that were sorta professionally done, which means that the body shops have reported to somewhere to report that my car under VIN# had this part & that part got replaced. i know this for 100% sure that if you go through the collision repair or repaint the body part of the car using the insurance money, they will report your car record to somewhere to keep in record. because my bro's RSX got keyed on the 2nd week after he got it brand new!!! i mean it!! freaking brand new, and somebody decided to key the rear quarter panel of my bro's RSX, my bro went through the insurance company to pay $300 deductable to repaint the rear quarter panel and the record listed the repair on his ride.
so back to my original argument, when i got the paper work from the insurance company, they dinged out few hundred $$ here and there due to the previous accident repairs which eventually brought down the value of the car. for example, let's just say my car was worth about $5,000 then after going through few repairs done by insurance companies, when my car got totalled, the insurance company dinged about $700 because my car value went down due to the prior accidents. so i ended up getting $3,800 after deductable.

so what i'm trying to tell you is that the auto insurance company must have some standards to measure the value of the car that has been repaired(repainted).

just my $.02

·
Registered
42 Posts
vlad_a said:
^^^^
The dealer will be able to find the differences.
The way it is done is by feeling the edges of the body with your fingers.
Factory paint is smooth, whereas bodyshop's paint is not.

You're right, CarFax is unlikely to have that report.

yeah i also agree with "vlad_a" too, i'm pretty sure the dealer would be able to find this out, because the used car department would use some type of standard to judge the value of the car.

$.02

·
8,849 Posts
There is a claims database that insurance companies share.
I guess that's how they squeeze a few more dollars from you, should the need arise.
I didn't think they keep tabs on the value of the car in such details.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Thanks again

ebay_krish said:
I am going to take the car to the dealer. If he can find the difference in paint then I should be worried otherwise I am fine.

-K
Ok so let me get this straight. You want to take the car to the dealer to make sure that the paint is ok. Well.... that is fine I guess but they are going to find it and say don't buy that car, buy one of ours and we can get you a lower finance rate, or some other dealer BS.

Let’s take some things under consideration. This is a 03 IS300, with x # of miles. Let’s say that it has 15k which is a little high but let’s be on the safe side. The Kbb on that car with only a few options and no navi is around 28k and 26k for a trade in. So you are going to offer him/her what???? 25k. Either way that I see it you are ahead in the deal.

If you are nervous about the paint and if someone can see it, don't buy the car. It’s just that easy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: Thanks again

pimplex said:
ebay_krish said:

-K
Ok so let me get this straight. You want to take the car to the dealer to make sure that the paint is ok. Well.... that is fine I guess but they are going to find it and say don't buy that car, buy one of ours and we can get you a lower finance rate, or some other dealer BS.

Let’s take some things under consideration. This is a 03 IS300, with x # of miles. Let’s say that it has 15k which is a little high but let’s be on the safe side. The Kbb on that car with only a few options and no navi is around 28k and 26k for a trade in. So you are going to offer him/her what???? 25k. Either way that I see it you are ahead in the deal.

If you are nervous about the paint and if someone can see it, don't buy the car. It’s just that easy.

hehe ditto!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts