Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across an IS300 that is very clean. I was wondering what would you guys pay for this IS300? He's asking for $9500. Not sure how I feel about this price. Any advice would be great!

Here's an album with the pictures:

https://www.yogile.com/v1yrziu0/41m/share/?vsc=c8cdda99

"odometer: 103212
title status: clean
transmission: manual

This is a 2002 Lexus IS300 manual 5 speed. In great shape, clean dash, interior, and paint. Car has had all maintenance performed, 0 leaks. Includes the limited slip differential and heated seat, only option missing is navigation. 3 total keys.

All parts replaced during maintenance are factory from Toyota:
Timing Belt
Denso Spark Plugs
Water Pump
Radiator
Thermostat
Toyota red coolant
Valve cover gaskets

I only use Amsoil full synthetic oil and amsoil brake/clutch fluid. No melting dash, interior is flawless, please text for more pictures."

Attachments

·
Registered
767 Posts
Honestly, 9500 is not a bad deal for that car giving all the maintenance, no leaks, 5speed, LSD, and a clean title. Up in WA, 5speed Manual with clean title and 150k-160k miles sells for around 7-8k (or atleast that's what they want for it). The only thing I would look for is clutch slippage. You would think 9500 is a lot of money for a 13-14 year old car, but I rather spend that 9500 on a 2002 car with that's been treated well, then 2014 car that is been leaking, beat to hell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends, how badly do you want a manual transmission? $9.5k ain't bad considering people talk about them as if they were the rarest of unicorns
My only issue is the numbers that KBB are throwing at me for what they think it's worth. I personally would love a manual but my issue its the resale value. Considering it's an old car I don't feel comfortable spending such a high amount just because it's an extremely rare car. I just feel like when it's time to sell it again when I'm ready to (if I buy it) I won't get anywhere near 9.5k lol. What would you offer?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
It's hard to say. If your issue is resale value I would look into something a bit newer. There are certainly many options that hold their value much better.

To give you an idea, my cars sticker price was $44k back in 2003. If we say $9.5k today, that's an ~80% depreciation in 13 years. Luxury cars are not known for holding their value.

Things are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. I can see someone wanting a manual 'tezza y0! paying $9.5k for it, but that is the right buyer, you don't find these everyday. I am not the right person to answer how much though as I do not buy and sell cars often (as you may have been able to tell), maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck man!:approve:

·
Registered
767 Posts
My only issue is the numbers that KBB are throwing at me for what they think it's worth. I personally would love a manual but my issue its the resale value. Considering it's an old car I don't feel comfortable spending such a high amount just because it's an extremely rare car. I just feel like when it's time to sell it again when I'm ready to (if I buy it) I won't get anywhere near 9.5k lol. What would you offer?
Only trust KBB to a point because they look at a nationwide to determine the price of a car rather than exactly where it is. Also, they aren't very good with market values of a car. If you don't feel comfortable buying that car for 9.5k then don't. It's really up to you on how much you want to spend. If that car is in great condition with the amount of miles it has, I would pay $9500 max for it. Assuming that you don't have to do anything to it for the next 60k miles.

lastly, if you are in it to buy the car, use it for 3-4yrs and sell it back at almost the value you bought it for, you are in the wrong business. Cars is one of the worst deprecation item in market.

Hope this helps, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's really up to you. If your buying the car to drive for only a few years, then get something else. Something cheaper is what your looking for. If your buying the car because you like the car and planning to keep it for awhile then it's a good price. In the end, it's what the car means to you.

For example, my other car is a 90 Celica Alltrac Turbo 120K miles. Got the car for 6K back in 2005, but planning on doing a rebuild that will run in the range of 5K (factory stock rebuild gasket and all). To me the car is worth it because it means a lot to me. To other's it's just a an old 90 Celica and says it's a waste of money. Like as of now, the Celica parks in the Garage along with my 77 Celica GT 5 speed. While the IS300 is outside.

The key line here is "WHAT THE CAR MEANS TO YOU."

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just paid about 6k for an 87k mile 02 auto. I still need to do the 90k service as well, so maybe a good price since I was seeing 150k manual IS for $10k here in socal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts