Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my boss wants me to install some speakers on his motorcycle...

But his bike doesn't have a stock stereo...and he doesn't want a stereo...

He wants to just be able to plug his iPod into a plug and play music through a couple 6x9's running off a small amplifier...and I was running this through my head...

Is it possible to get the amp to turn on without a source unit? Or could I modify something that isn't a stereo to act as a source unit?

And if your wondering why he doesn't want a stereo, don't ask me, I don't know why either:suspiciou

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Just run a wire from a low current ignition fuse. Something that turns on when he has the bike on. It will tell the amp to turn on.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha...apparently his storage box thingys are pretty large...

But how would I create a dock for the ipod to play the 6x9's...there's no RCA inputs to any ipod or ipod accessories that I know of...

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Would that work? I've never thought about running an amp like that....I'm sure SQ wouldnt be great, but would it work?

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Funny thing about this. I drove down the road the other day. I was hearing music coming from somewhere. I didnt think it was the bike, but at the next red light. I still heard it. LOL it was from the bike.
How in the hell are you going to be able to listen to it, while your riding. I would think the motor of the bike is loud. At least on this street bike. It wasnt a crotch rocket either. But on a crotch rocket. It might be alright.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Would that work? I've never thought about running an amp like that....I'm sure SQ wouldnt be great, but would it work?
In theory it should work, it's just using your ipod as a source unit. Of course it might not sound perfect (gains might be funky).
I've actually never tried this, but I will just to let you know what's up.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I used to hook up my Marantz component CD player straight to my Carver power amp (it was so clean not going through a preamp .....). Just becareful to match the voltage. You don't want to blow up the speakers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts