Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ever since my dad put the order in I've been playing gran tourismo 2 on playstation using the altezza. And i do it in maunal also, so it feels like the tiptronic. And in graphite, cause thats teh color im gettin. I hope the car is as fun as it is in the game

·
Registered
272 Posts
I feel you kid. I play both GTs and I can honestly say the car handles better in RL after driving it one time. Granted your not going to go drifting around corners w/a 30k car, but given the chance, I think it will handle it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I'm sure I'll love it. I dont my license till april even, but some how i convinced my dad to get it. It'll probably end up sitting in the garage for the few months till april. I told him that I'd do my homework in it, and I'd get better grades. Somehow this worked. Sometimes i sit in the garage and just pretend that it is there.
Is the IS a preety quiet car, cause that way i could sneak it out real late at night and take it for little spins before the big day of april 4'th.

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
you dont even have your license...man if anyone is gonna get in trouble with the IS it will be you. i strongly advise you buy a used car and drive it for at least 6 months. you shouldnt use the IS as a car to learn in, else you will be driving a nice, shiny, dented IS.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Yeah...you will be very sad if ur IS gets a smashed front end....

I think most kids who just get their license drive wreklessly or carelessly, and a new EXPENSIVE SPORTY car is definitely a bad idea....

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
i was 17 when i got mine...trust me, i kno what im talking about...you should get a used car first, just because u get your license doesnt mean you stop leanring how to drive...im telling you, cancel that order and save some money...you wont regret it...its not going to kill you to drive a 95 supra or rx7...it will kill you if you injure a $35000 car...

·
Registered
398 Posts
If you want to be a good driver, get a used RWD manual (stickshift) car. There's a bunch of AE86 Corolla and S13 Silvia in Japan so young kids can learn to drive in them and still be not hurt so much financially after crashing it.

16 and IS300. Sounds to me a bad combination. (Well, I may be a bit jealous.)

I started off driving when I was 15 and a half (when I was living in the States). But I regret that I didn't get a manual car. (I got a used automatic Celica.) Its better to learn at a younger age. To enjoy the IS300 more, it may be better to practice driving a RWD manual. How about a used Miata? They're RWD and come in stickshift. And its' light weight should be ideal for learning what weight transfer is.

Never underestimate the power of weight transfer.
Come, Luke, come to the dark side......

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well me gettin that car was kind of a back up plan. My dad ordered an s500 for my mom. But at the last minute he had so spark of insanity and canceled it. Then we sold my mom's 13 year old mb sel. Then my older brother took his jeep to college. So we are left with an A8, which the lease is almost up on and a suburban, that drives like crap and has a new problem every week. So because we needed cars desperately and my dad wants to get her an e430 4matic, which we'll need to order to get the options we want. So we got the IS now, for my mom till april when it will be mine.
And I know what you guys mean, but my dad wants to get this car. He loves it just as much as I do. I know a kid who got a brand new s4, and trashed it the day he got his license. And i still have my permit and i have been driving all year. Except with over 21 in the passenger seat. Plus a good amount of illegal driving everytime my parents go out.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i started out driving when i was 15 and 3 months(i got my permit). i'm 17 and 4 months now and in two years i've learned a lot. i've been close to tons of accidents, and i've learned from each one. i learned to drive a stick about a year ago. i'm glad i didn't start out wiht something with 6cyl and ~200hp, i would've wrecked it for sure. there's no way i could sneak the m3 out, EVER. its parked in my back yard, and i have to move two cars to get the stupid thing out of the driveway, to top that off, the exhaust is LOUD AS HELL. i stick to the rules usually(except for speeding) and hopefully i won't be in any accidents with the ///m

1 - 15 of 15 Posts