Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm 17 and going to get my first car in March 2001. I know I can get a Prelude for $23,000 fully loaded. The Prelude is a cool car but I really love the IS300. Can I get a IS300 for less than $29,000 plus tax.

PS-I'm not a little rich boy> My parents work very hard and I do too. I worked for 4 years and I;m in the top 10% of my class.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
You _might_ be able to get a base model (cloth interior, no sunroof, no LSD) for under $30K (before tax) with a little bargaining. MSRP is around $31K.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the price might just drop a little by 2002 model, but i doubt it's much tough. maybe you can try the strip down model without any luxuaries.

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're anywhere near Cali, Fogetabowit. I've tried the negotiating bit and have only got to 34 tax/lic included, that's just telling them I was just looking and this is what I want, not actually saying I'll buy anything. If anyone else got better let me know.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmmm...personally, if that was my budget I'd probably go with the lude. In fact, I had planned on getting a Prelude when I was 17 too but decided to wait because my brother moved to the states and I was driving his 328is for a while. I'm 19 now and will be purchasing a new car soon, either IS or 325ci. The Prelude is an excellent car, both styling and handling, so with the money you save you could do quite a bit of mods to an already great car. Better yet, invest the remaining amount wisely and you'll be able to get a better car in a few years. I just don't see the point of driving a sports luxury vehicle without any of the luxury items (leather, heated seats etc). The only thing that bugs me about the Prelude is that they're EVERYWHERE! I must see over twenty Preludes a day. Good thing about the Prelude is that 2001 is probably the last production year so it would be cool having the last gen lude. Either choice you'll have a nice car. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
problem with the prelude is that its EXPENSIVE =( well, compared to waht you get anyways...sometimes i think i'd really have a gsr instead =)

·
Registered
226 Posts
ImportStyle, I'd just rather get the Prelude. You probably won't be able to get an IS300 out the door for $29,000 anyways. Since all the import companies decided to stop making small sporty coupes (240SX, MX-6, Probe, etc.), you don't have much choice... Eclipse GT, Prelude S/SH, Integra, Celica. Fortunately, the present offerings present a really good package... solid, quick, good handling, etc. The Eclipse is a nice car, but I think the Prelude looks a bit cleaner IMO.

The Celica is a nice car, but not really the same as the two above... the Teg and Celica feel more tossable, but also not as refined. The Integra is like the Celica, but is too old and feels it (it's buzzy, and not quite as solid)... I used to have a '94 Integra before my IS and the same one is still sold (plus a revised front and rear clip).

So if you're looking for a car in the 20K-out the door range... I'd scratch the IS300 out of your list and go for...

Solidity - Prelude, Eclipse GT, Accord V6
Tossability - Celica, used Civic Si, GS-R, used Type R
Head Turnin' Ability - PT Cruiser

or... wait for the G4 Integra (unveiled in some January auto show).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 1999 Prelude and I liked it at first, but after seeing the IS300 and driving it (my GF bought one), im saving to buy on in 2002. If your on a budget, get the lude. There are a lot of aftermarket parts for it...expensive though. Trust me. =)

·
Registered
262 Posts
The dealer cost on a base IS300 is $27,302. Therefore, you should be able to get one for under $29K as long as you don't try to buy from a dealer in California. If you do live there, you may want to consider buying from a dealer in another state. Most Lexus dealers are willing to deliver cars to people in other states.

[This message has been edited by viggen (edited October 17, 2000).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Originally posted by DJson:
If you're anywhere near Cali, Fogetabowit. I've tried the negotiating bit and have only got to 34 tax/lic included, that's just telling them I was just looking and this is what I want, not actually saying I'll buy anything. If anyone else got better let me know.
I've said it once, I'll say it again --
Regardless of where you live, you can
get a Lexus IS300 (or any other model for
that matter) at significantly below MSRP
from JM Lexus in Margate, FL. They will
deliver it to you on a transport for a
reasonable shipping cost. Contact
Laurel @ JM Lexus' e-business division
at [email protected]. Tell her Donnie
sent you.

I received my IS 300 last week. Already
put 1K on it. The honeymoon is over, I
suppose.

------------------
IS300 - Black/Black
LS/LD/HH/SR, Spoiler
--------------------
Looking for the best
price on a Lexus?
Contact Laurel @ JM
Lexus [e-business division]
[email protected]
Tell her Donnie sent you.

·
15,322 Posts
if u must have one of those, get the Lude...drive it for a few years, get driving down and then buy an IS... if you just want a nice car that has some power, get a used 300zx, 95 twin turbo supra, sc300, or mazda rx7...save some money and buy the car when you can comfortably afford it...don't try to stretch your money its not worth having a nice car if you cant afford to take your girl to the movies...(pretty deep for an 18 year old huh?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
15 Participants
DonCorleone
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing