Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
THE MAKER
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just finished the top side mold for the engine cover, now working on the backside tabs to fasten it with. The mold needs to cure in the oven for a few more days, then some test parts with pics. The current profile is smoothed out the ridges between the blocks on the cover and the carbon fake weave will be smoothed out. In addition to carbon we can make them in texillium(silver carbon ugh I hate to say that) red, blue and carbon kevlar weave. its all super light aerospace grade stuff, so I hope you guys dig it. Then the real aero parts will roll out.

Fig
 

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
Joined
·
5,285 Posts
Nice Work Fig!! Looking good so far..

I assume you sanded off / blocked off the fake looking weaves on half the OEM cover... ??!!

- Joe Z
 

·
THE MAKER
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drumm roll please....
first part out of the mold. They were short on material so this one is actually backed with "spreadtoe" high modulus carbon as the second layer.

total weight 18 oz.

I need to trim and then figure out how I will do the mounting.




 

·
THE MAKER
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys can't afford it............LOL :p



Nice work Figs, price point yet?
It depends on what needs to be engineered for mounting. My original price point was $500. I am on track for that right now I think, maybe lower. If there enough demand then I can spread the cost of the mold out.

Also note that I will be adding an "F" Figs badge, and two decorative woven aluminum plates in the "gill" sections of the cover. It will be quite the piece when done :bigSmile:

Fig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Great work, can't wait for final product. I am sure a lot of people will get this, don't forget to post on Clublexus as well and lexus IS-F forums for more support.
 

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
Joined
·
14,279 Posts
Very nice fig!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
272 Posts
Unfortunately the mold was pretty expensive. This thread is about feedback, so give me some about your expectations and perhaps I can remove some features :).

This thread is about showing us your new CF engine cover and the input that fallows is open to criticism and praise. My expectations are that I wish products aren't 100x more because they are CF.....the mark up game is getting ridiculous IMO. IS-F's are already a limited market (2,500 sold a year).........and even less are modifying their cars especially with the economy. If it came down to a Joe Z intake or a CF engine cover 99% would choose to go rather than show! The other 1% who would purchase this engine cover for $500 already has a Joe Z intake!


Good luck, and thanks for supporting the F
 

·
THE MAKER
Joined
·
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This thread is about showing us your new CF engine cover and the input that fallows is open to criticism and praise. My expectations are that I wish products aren't 100x more because they are CF.....the mark up game is getting ridiculous IMO. IS-F's are already a limited market (2,500 sold a year).........and even less are modifying their cars especially with the economy. If it came down to a Joe Z intake or a CF engine cover 99% would choose to go rather than show! The other 1% who would purchase this engine cover for $500 already has a Joe Z intake!


Good luck, and thanks for supporting the F
No problem, actually if you look at the history of my products, I always charge a fair price that is based on a reasonable markup for engineering and the costs associated with production. If things come in less expensive, I pass that on to the customer as well. I have no large shop overhead, just a 3car garage full of fabrication tools. In this case, my thrid party manufacturer is an aerospace facility, so I end up paying for the quality that I get.

In general, there are few carbon fiber products that avaiable in teh auto aftermarket that are aerospace grade materials. If this was a wet layup for example, it would be about 6lbs and covered with gel coat, plus it would have a fiberglass backing for structure. These parts are structural by themselves.

Also, regarding the intake comparison, I understand what you are saying and I also plan on more functional products in the future, all I need is time. I think in general, the F is fast enough to get into too much trouble as it stands. So I am taking a different path initially as I think most of the market is not looking for additional performance....yet.

I say yet because we all get used to the power, we all want more eventually. But I have a warranty to use up, then the funs will begin on that end.
:)

I will talk to my manufacturer and see if we can reduce the cost based on your feedback. This could be thinner materials or fewer layers. Or if I can make a simplified mouting system, that will help also.

There are a few variables that need to be costed and that will drive the final price.

Fig
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20,660 Posts
great work Mike!! :approve:
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
5,207 Posts
$500??? Good luck with that one:suspiciou
Keep in mind, the MSRP for the Lexus F-Sport graphite engine cover is $865

Given the price of setting up a mold and the price of using high quality pre-preg, I think $500 is a very reasonable price.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top