Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the release of the IS 250/350 specs there has been a great deal of chatter about the horsepower of the new cars, specifically with reference to the 250 being underpowered. I really don't know too much about cars and so I was wondering if anyone cared to explain the real-world advantages of say having ~300 HP vs 204. Obviously racing-enthusiasts need the boost but what about just driving in the city or on the highway. Presumably merging/overtaking is easier (but is it really that hard to merge or overtake w/ 204 HP?). Anything else that the extra power can do for you?

·
Registered
302 Posts
g35guy said:
Since the release of the IS 250/350 specs there has been a great deal of chatter about the horsepower of the new cars, specifically with reference to the 250 being underpowered. I really don't know too much about cars and so I was wondering if anyone cared to explain the real-world advantages of say having ~300 HP vs 204. Obviously racing-enthusiasts need the boost but what about just driving in the city or on the highway. Presumably merging/overtaking is easier (but is it really that hard to merge or overtake w/ 204 HP?). Anything else that the extra power can do for you?

make me happy!!! :bigSmile:

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
To be honest with you, 200-250 BHP using the new SAE standards for a car 3500lbs and below in weight is more than enough to satisfy the mild auto enthusiast. Better handling is even more important in my book. But 200hp minimun is all you need for the quick rump up on the freeway, passing with ease (though gearing plays an important role there too), and just plain having fun. For the most part you wont be using much more than that cos if you need more than that amount of power to get out of an accident situation.... chances are that you wont make it even with 350+HP.

It is the fun aspect that makes us all love to have more. not that we can necessarilly use it on our current road systems with speed limits etc etc, but when we are alone and for bragging rights just stomp on the accelerator.

just a little IMO remarks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
We're insatiable creatures. Even if u get 400hp, You'll still want more. And then u see that other car that looks better, sell it, get the new car, and the cycle continues...

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think it was on a Subaru commercial by Lance Armstrong where I heard:

"It's not about the power you have, but the power you have to spare"

I will always live by that quote.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
well the only reason i would NEED the 300 hp version, to shut up a G35, and a modded Desiel truck. beyond that no not really, but I'd like to see it with around 230 ish stock for the 250.

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Nothing practical about it.

Its like your mom tells you when you were a kid at the store, there is a difference between want and need.

Or like that annoying guy from Dream Car Garage on Speed Channel says when he is test driving a new car, on every episode.

Do you need a car with more horesepower? No.
Do you want a car with more horsepower, Oh yes!

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Like squareback says...nothing practical about having more hp. It is strictly a luxury.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, once again. It's all about the desire for faster cars. I mean I don't think many people here technically streetrace (i.e. 1 of 4 for 1 mile with crowds of people) but I think most of us I would say love to pull up to a red-light with a G35c or Z sitting there and just have the opportunity to gun it and kick its ass. It's just plain...fun. So for me, hp is what kills...but what is desired too.

sISp

1 - 10 of 10 Posts