Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just curious as to noise, it is an open element filter so my gues is that it has to get louder, i am strongly considering this kit. i am not a fan of the supercharger whine though. i know its not supposed to be there, but is this true, does it just sound like it has an intake, or not even that?

if there are videos of the kit inside the car outside, whatevr it would be much appreciated

oh, and how do you like it thus far? :)

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
it's pretty quiet at idle, you hear the intake over sc whine at idle, but when it opens up at wot, it gets pretty loud.

If you add a header and race pipe, (to get a LOT more power), it'll get really loud!

I'll see if I can't take a couple vid clips of my buddies when he's over here next time.

Kane

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kanine21 said:
I'll see if I can't take a couple vid clips of my buddies when he's over here next time.
that would be awsome

but you say it is pretty loud? does it sound like an SRT by any chance that is waht i am picturing/mentally hearing, is your pfs stage 1 quieter?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
somguy2u said:
Kanine21 said:
that would be awsome

but you say it is pretty loud? does it sound like an SRT by any chance that is waht i am picturing/mentally hearing, is your pfs stage 1 quieter?
it's not louder than mine :)

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, then its not for me; i still like the lexus sound, i am kinda hoping to maintain if the dragger didn't sound so good and make the car so fun to drive it might not be there

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Sorry, my bad. My buddy has the vortech unit. For some reason, when I see Powerdyne, I think Prolexperformance.

Sorry for the confusion, haha.

Kane

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know, it bugs me..... i think most peopel go for the vortech as it is upgradeable. its a cool unit but i was looking for sometihgn a little less strung out, and a little safer and simpler.

pmergler is probnably going to get one, i told him i would help stick it in there. if he actually doesi will get some movies with sound inside outside, pics of install, blah blah blah

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
mokujin101 said:
did anyone on this forum, end up buying a powerdyne?

theres like zero info on this kit installed.
Didn't a guy with a DWP get one?
Wasn't he on the vid at PLP's new shop?

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah theres at least one of them out there, but the video you couldn't hear anythign.. perhaps its a good thing towards what i want

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
eesh, after reading some of those........ i am not so sure

those are almost all negative, they are for different kinds of SC's but of the BD-11's all say that they are very quiet, but all ahve a reacurring problem of slipping belts. not to mention theres probably only a review written if they had a problem on that page.

the customer service thing i think would go through pro-lex (hopefully they can get somewhere) but other than belt slipping it doesn't sound like there are too many problems with the actuall compressor oher than belt slipping, and thats with a what soudns like a 9lb pully

·
Registered
825 Posts

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
somguy2u said:
eesh, after reading some of those........ i am not so sure

those are almost all negative, they are for different kinds of SC's but of the BD-11's all say that they are very quiet, but all ahve a reacurring problem of slipping belts. not to mention theres probably only a review written if they had a problem on that page.

the customer service thing i think would go through pro-lex (hopefully they can get somewhere) but other than belt slipping it doesn't sound like there are too many problems with the actuall compressor oher than belt slipping, and thats with a what soudns like a 9lb pully
I would otherwise agree with you if it weren't for the fact that the reviews for Vortech and ATI units were decidedly more positive.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
All of the bad light comes from the people with domestic cars. The BD-11 is designed as a 7 psi unit, but most of the domestics always installed brand-x 10-13psi pulleys due to there low compression and simpler fuel systems, so intern they cause ceased bearings and slipping belts. This is why we do not offer any upgrades for the Powerdyne BD-11 kit, it is designed as an everyday 7psi and is gauranteed to last 50k+ miles before the internal belt needs maintenance. The pulleys are now installed in such away that it is tamper proof or will leave some sign of tampering to cut back on this problem. We have several Powerdyne kits on the road with out one problem, the units are very quite! We have been shipping several kits to Carson Toyota, they usually have them instock ready to ship the same day. You may contact Steve Ganz at [email protected] to purchase.
Mike

·
Virgin Magnet
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
can't we just get them from you mike? :)

as i said i am very interested, mike you wuoldn't happen to be able to get a quick sound click or video and even email it to me form inside the car or ebven outside of one runing? quite is the idea my man :chill:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I got my powerdyne unit last week and it's going in the week of jan 5th.I went with that kit because i wanted something stealth .reliable,without having to upgrade a bunch of other stuff.especially the chance of [email protected]#$g up the transmission.Any more power than that your'e taking chances.Anyways I'll find out soon enough the install is being performed by
a japanese dude with trd japan connections his old site is www.japanese-auto.com i'll post after it's all done!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you go to wwwcarreview.com almost all the sc have bad reviews .eg ati procharger ,vortech ,paxton etc depends on the application!

·
Registered
6 Posts
HI Guys...

Just completed installation of the BD-11 into my 03 SportDesign...

NO problems. Not too many miles under its belt, but from the install to daily driving, it's been a great evolution.

I'll try to get my butt in gear and get a report out on the process, but it was not too bad.

Install was about 10 hours with me and my brother doing the install in the garage...2 average dudes, average braincells..no pro mech knowledge.

The whine is actually quite the head turner, but they have to be pretty close to the car to hear it. Not that loud at all..I think the Vortech is definitely louder. With the windows up and radio off...yes, you can hear it. But to me, I like it. When my buddy drove away and back, it really sounds like a jet (a small jet) airplane taxiing up onto the driveway...very cool.

When you get on it...it pulls great. SIGNIFICANT difference in the car...I'd almost say Dr Jeckyl, Mr. Hyde but maybe not that crazy...but almost. Give me a 100 shot for an occaisional Friday night (and Saturday...and Sunday) and I'll need a hammer to knock the smile off my face. I gotta work on getting that 100 shot and see how well it will work with the PLP system...Hey Mike? What do you think?

My main concern now is exhaust...I posted another thread addressing those issues..

Okay...Im blabbing now..sorry. Hope that helps your intitial concern about the system.

BTW...no belt slipping, no problems...coming from a guy who would prefer that the gas pedal was glued at WOT...I don't drive it like a nut all the time...but I wanted a reliable system that would provide OOOMFFF any time I wanted. Im finding that I want it all the time. :crazy:

PLP has a great product and Mike was there for any questions throughout the process. Hands down, there is no question about PLP and their ability to provide a great product and customer support.

Have a great new year.

8)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts