Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching f/i for my car and am interseted in the PLP powerdyne s/c. After reading reviews on the internet about the superchargers themselves I am a little reluctant to buy one. One common problem with these is the fact that the internal belts wear out quickly and tend to break. Also, the bearings wear out and seize up causing damage to the unit. Anybody else hear negative things about these superchargers because I dont want to buy something and have to replace parts every 5,000 miles. I have researched superchargers before for my old truck and most people tend to say to stay away from the powerdynes because of the problems with the belt drives.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Regarding either of those units....
One thing to consider is well...PLP. They've only developed solid products.
They spent a LOOOONG time with R&D on the superchargers. Some people were unhappy that it took so long, but it's a double-edged sword. If Mike says they're both good for "daily drivers," I trust him.
He doesn't release anything until it's absolutely "ready."
Not to mention, IF something were to go wrong, I'm sure Mike would help-out in anyway he could. PLP has an oustanding reputation going for them -why would they blow it now??

p.s. Yes, I realize I'm a big fan, but what can I say. I've never talked to the guy face to face, but through email/phone he's been a great help. I look forward to calling him when I get home to make some purchases!! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im not doubting the integrity of PLP, its Powerdyne that concerns me. Ive been doing some more reading and it seems that Powerdyne has made attempts to correct the situation with the belts breaking but I've still read of problems with the bearings when the unit is under full boost. I will wait and see.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
odds are, mike has put 10,000 plus miles on his car testing the kit, to make sure everything is straight, including the belts, if there was a problem with that, he wouldn't be selling it

-gte

zeindog13 said:
Im not doubting the integrity of PLP, its Powerdyne that concerns me. Ive been doing some more reading and it seems that Powerdyne has made attempts to correct the situation with the belts breaking but I've still read of problems with the bearings when the unit is under full boost. I will wait and see.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
5spd-lexus said:
Woops don't know how to use the quote :oops:
werd to that.
You really don't know how to use quotes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts