Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up...you may know already, my car hasn't been running since Halloween. I'm just waiting for a new battery (monday), and it should be running again.

I noticed today, while doing some wiring stuff, that the power wire for my amp is turning brown near where it connects to the battery. I have a silver translucent casing, so I can see the brownish color.

Is this a sign of something bad? Is it just natural oxidation (if that makes sense)

I see it also around the wire when it goes in the fuse holder.

The color is not the problem, the cause is/may be. The wire is going to be swapped out for solid black when the stereo is redone this winter.

Any idears?

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
What's turning brown? The actual wire, or the plastic jacket.
If it is the wire, it is natural oxidation. If it is the plastic jacket, then it may be caused by overheating. Meaning that you are drawing more current than what the cable is rated for. You need a bigger guage cable, ie lower awg rating.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm almost 100% it is the wire., but it looks like arse through the casing.

Thanks for the input.

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
mattssi said:
Whats up...you may know already, my car hasn't been running since Halloween. I'm just waiting for a new battery (monday), and it should be running again.

I noticed today, while doing some wiring stuff, that the power wire for my amp is turning brown near where it connects to the battery. I have a silver translucent casing, so I can see the brownish color.

Is this a sign of something bad? Is it just natural oxidation (if that makes sense)

The color is not the problem, the cause is/may be. The wire is going to be swapped out for solid black when the stereo is redone this winter.

Any idears?
Oxidation turns the copper wire green, not brown. If you soldered the end then you may have run off of the flux used. If not, I would suspect a weak connection as the resistance would build at that point creating excessive heat build up creating the brownish burnt color. I see this often on customer vehicles with "do it themselves" installs. I may be wrong, but I would recommend checking that connection and if it seems fine, then get a better fuse holder with better connectors.

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
lisnup65 said:
mattssi said:

Any idears?
Oxidation turns the copper wire green, not brown. If you soldered the end then you may have run off of the flux used. If not, I would suspect a weak connection as the resistance would build at that point creating excessive heat build up creating the brownish burnt color. I see this often on customer vehicles with "do it themselves" installs. I may be wrong, but I would recommend checking that connection and if it seems fine, then get a better fuse holder with better connectors.
I usually dont disagree w/ xPerts, but i have to call you Lisnup, Copper does turn brown when it rusts. If you take a piece of copper colored copper wire, and twist the strands together, keep doing so, after a little bit, it will turn dark brown. It turns green when...uhh...i dont know when, but it takes 25-30 years for it to do so.

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
CharlieD06 said:
lisnup65 said:
mattssi said:

Any idears?
I usually dont disagree w/ xPerts, but i have to call you Lisnup, Copper does turn brown when it rusts. If you take a piece of copper colored copper wire, and twist the strands together, keep doing so, after a little bit, it will turn dark brown. It turns green when...uhh...i dont know when, but it takes 25-30 years for it to do so.
Will I do not know about rust as my installs are not prone to situations like that. I do know that copper oxidizes and that is when it turns green. Even the so called chemically treated oxidation free wire will eventualy oxidate. This is not a 25-30 year process, it starts happening as soon air has a chance to get to it. I dont remember the physical properties for it, but I attended a seminar on it a few years back. I personally speaking have not had any of my wire turn brown, so maybe it is rust.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ehh.. I can take pics later.

Lisnup...open up shop in the D.

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
mattssi said:
Ehh.. I can take pics later.

Lisnup...open up shop in the D.
Its only a short drive for you! :D

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
lisnup65 said:
CharlieD06 said:
lisnup65 said:
mattssi said:

Any idears?
I usually dont disagree w/ xPerts, but i have to call you Lisnup, Copper does turn brown when it oxydizes. If you take a piece of copper colored copper wire, and twist the strands together, keep doing so, after a little bit, it will turn dark brown. It turns green when...uhh...i dont know when, but it takes 25-30 years for it to do so.
Will I do not know about rust as my installs are not prone to situations like that. I do know that copper oxidizes and that is when it turns green. Even the so called chemically treated oxidation free wire will eventualy oxidate. This is not a 25-30 year process, it starts happening as soon air has a chance to get to it. I dont remember the physical properties for it, but I attended a seminar on it a few years back. I personally speaking have not had any of my wire turn brown, so maybe it is rust.
ahh, sorry, i didnt mean rust, i ment oxidization.

·
8,849 Posts
Old copper wires turn brown, not green. Copper monuments turn green. I think water may have something to do with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.