Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good night, I have a problem with my power steering, I started to make a noise how to whining, the fluid tank was empty, I filled it out, the problem disappeared 3 hours later, the problem started again. The tank was empty again. Could the power steering pump be damaged? or a hose is broken, I don't know much about mechanics, someone with the same problem? Lexus is300 2005

·
Mr. Roo
9,339 Posts
I don't think the power steering pump could be damaged, as it's clearly working (that's the noise), but the fluid is going somewhere. Did the power steering stop working suddenly at some point?

Mine went out when the two small hoses on the front cooler split. But it did make a huge mess, so I'm not sure where yours went. If there are no leaks visible anywhere, maybe add some more? Maybe you didn't put in enough the first time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the problem is a rack and pinion leak , it's very expensive on autozone like $400 , on ebay like $140 . So im not sure which is the right one?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I found the problem is a rack and pinion leak , it's very expensive on autozone like $400 , on ebay like $140 . So im not sure which is the right one?
I figured it was the rack. I would get a pre owned OEM rack. Our racks from what I recall don't go out frequently...

·
Registered
507 Posts
I put a remann’ed rack on mine when I redid the front suspension. I got it on eBay from a small mom n pop rebuilder. Nbkjparts parts was the seller. I’d go with another rebuilt one any day, from a reputable seller. I sent my core back for a lifetime warranty. Hope I never have to use it !

It’s not hard to change, just a bunch of sliding around on the ground and getting greasy from the ps fluid.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Did u know if i can find it in ebay? Good price
Depends what you mean with 'good price'. Decent steering racks can range from 100$ to 160$. Between OEM pre-owned and OEM refurbished.

Check this one out. Good price for a OEM refurbished unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts