Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, just like you read. When at idle the knock is very promenent but when you just turn the wheel (either way) the knocking goes away.Has anybody had their P/S Pump go out? I found it online (refurbished and core) for $90, its not that expensive but maybe it might be something else? and no its the engine, already had it checked. Thanx for any input guys!

·
Registered
150 Posts
how's the fluid look

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
change the fluid, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
MyTelex22 said:
thats it? how do I pull it out or does it got a drain plug or something?
search"DIY" you should find how to do it,I just changed my and it feels great a bit more responsive.Go to a Toyota dealer and get the DexronII/III ATF fluid.

·
Registered
26 Posts
how bad is it knocking? do you have play in the steering wheel ?you may want to check the inner and outer ties rods on the rack and pinion itself..i had to change mine when i thought it was the pump...to do the check, either have the car put on a lift and move the rim and tire back and forth towards the rack ..if they are bad you will have excessive play in the movement.if they are good the rim and tire should feel good and tight with very little to no play...you can also use a jack and jack stands to do this if you cant get it on a lift..this happened on my first 01 i owned and the dealer would not warranty it because they said the eibachs caused it, which is a crock of shit...

tony

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you need the rack replaced, I have it available with a limited lifetime warranty (as long as you don't damage it on installation; covers normal wear & tear). I don't need yours in exchange, but it is welcome. Shipping is extra. I accept paypal, unless you're in SOCAL local cash is ok. Email me if interested [email protected] with your year make and model.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
My steering pump went out on my 04 IS300 at around 70K mi. It is possible. Just get a stetoskope (spl) for $15 and start listening to things on your engine to try to isolate your source.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my pump went out at 108k your problem sounds like mine, at the stop lights i would turn it a bit so people would stop looking. i flushed the fluid and didnt make a difference. so i would do that first and if not, replace the pump. i bought a used one on ebay and all is well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts