Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my is with some staggered 19" axis hiros a few months ago. In a few months I will be need some tires and I'm thinking of getting the wheels powdercoated flat black like the super hiros when I get my new tires. The previous owner rashed the wheels slightly in a few spots, and I'm wanting to know if I should get them repaired before powdercoating. Also if anyone could recommend a shop to get the wheels powdercoated at in the socal area please. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have the tires taken off and sand/file the curb rash down yourself.
The powder coating will cover alot of it up ( if you go with flat black).
I did a set of wheels in gloss black and they turned out very nice.

·
Banned
1,414 Posts
Often times shops will do both refinishing work and powdercoating work. I know of a shop in IL that could do all of the work, I'm sure there are plenty in socal that will do the same.

Reactions: vroomRollLEX

·
Registered
341 Posts
I recently dropped off my TE37 at Magmasters in Santa Ana for powdercoating. When i pick them up next week, ill be sure to post my experience.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
^ Hey JDizzle, what shop are you going to for powdercoating? I just picked up some old Volks that I want refinished and powdercoated.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Magmasters = AWESOME WORK! I've have many wheels and other things done by them. They're pretty cool and know what you want. Their flat black has a nice luster to it. Kinda like volk racing bronze!

I recently dropped off my TE37 at Magmasters in Santa Ana for powdercoating. When i pick them up next week, ill be sure to post my experience.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure where I'm going to go yet. There is a shop around the corner from the dealership that I work at called Duracoat powdercoating. They must have a huge oven, cause they are always doing fencing and stuff. I was going to get a quote from them, or try that magmasters place.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Magmasters = AWESOME WORK! I've have many wheels and other things done by them. They're pretty cool and know what you want. Their flat black has a nice luster to it. Kinda like volk racing bronze!
How is their pricing like these days? I heard good things about them over the years when they use to do wheels for a very cheap price, but times have changed.

JDizzle, let me know how it goes, I'm curious to know the prices of that Duracoat place. Also check if they need a minimum order. I've gone to may powdercoat places here in SoCal that required some stupid minimum order since they only did huge bulk coating.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Finally picked up my wheels a day ago from them, and i can only say that the charcoal is truly a work of art. They do a fine job with powder coating, wonderful even. My only complaint is how long it took them, i dropped off my wheels on the 10th, and finally got them back on around the 29th.

Expect a flawless great looking wheel, but dont expect it soon. I suppose good things are worth the wait. Pics will be posted when they go on the car.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Finally picked up my wheels a day ago from them, and i can only say that the charcoal is truly a work of art. They do a fine job with powder coating, wonderful even. My only complaint is how long it took them, i dropped off my wheels on the 10th, and finally got them back on around the 29th.

Expect a flawless great looking wheel, but dont expect it soon. I suppose good things are worth the wait. Pics will be posted when they go on the car.
Congrats on getting this done. Looking forward to seeing the pics. How much did this cost to complete?

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
$25-50 per wheel is what I have seen on average. But if you look in your local yellow pages you could probably find a place and call them up! It all depends on if they have to strip the old finish off too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got my tires in, so this week I had my wheels done. I ended up going with Duracoat powdercoating. I had to get the wheels sandblasted before dropping them off, so I had a shop called superior sandblasting strip all 4 wheels for $80. The next day they went down to duracoat for powdercoating around noon, and were done by 5 that day. I paid $240 for the wheels to be done, which I think might have been a little steep, but they were done in one day too. All in all, I am very happy with the way they turned out. Anyways, here are before and after pictures.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Finally snapped a pic with the phone camera of the powdercoated TE37.

Magmasters does a great job of the powdercoating i gotta admit.

PS. Ignore the rust on the rotors ahah

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
looks good,besides the *cough* rust..Cough...cough.Just kiddin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts