Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive owned a 01 IS300 for quite a few years now. I love my car i love the fact i never had a problem with the car. My car was involved in two accidents in a matter of 30 mins the other night. There is a potential that my car may be totaled since the car is only worth about $7000 and there might be that much damage done to the car. Im leaning towards hoping they total it but it will be sad since my car was in such great condition and was so well taken care of.

Im looking at getting a 06 or 07 IS250 AWD. Id like to get AWD since I have to deal with snow. How does the 250 handle in snow? Also id like to get one with Nav, sunroof, heated seats, sat radio, black interior. All these options are available right? Im looking at getting the car with around 50,000 miles so i can afford it. What is the possibility that i can come across this type of car with these options? What are the pros and cons of the vehicle? Id really like some help with this so i make the right decision. I dont want to spend more then $22,000 Thank you

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Ive owned a 01 IS300 for quite a few years now. I love my car i love the fact i never had a problem with the car. My car was involved in two accidents in a matter of 30 mins the other night. There is a potential that my car may be totaled since the car is only worth about $7000 and there might be that much damage done to the car. Im leaning towards hoping they total it but it will be sad since my car was in such great condition and was so well taken care of.

Im looking at getting a 06 or 07 IS250 AWD. Id like to get AWD since I have to deal with snow. How does the 250 handle in snow? Also id like to get one with Nav, sunroof, heated seats, sat radio, black interior. All these options are available right? Im looking at getting the car with around 50,000 miles so i can afford it. What is the possibility that i can come across this type of car with these options? What are the pros and cons of the vehicle? Id really like some help with this so i make the right decision. I dont want to spend more then $22,000 Thank you
AWD is great for off-roading. In street use it's vastly overrated. RWD with GOOD tires does just fine.

There's folks getting far more snow than you (Chicago, Canada, etc) that drive 350s (50% more power than a 250) with no problems in the winter, they just put good snow tires on.

Plus, a RWD model will be at least a couple grand cheaper.

That said, be aware there's virtually nothing you can do to make any ISx50 significantly faster. So go test drive a brand new RWD IS250 (the powertrain hasn't changed since it was introduced) and see if it's "enough" power for you. If so, go find a nice used one. Otherwise you're going to want to pay slightly more for an IS350... 10% more cost for 50% more power.

regarding options-

Sunroof is standard, it's very close to impossible to get the car without it. (sadly, because I'd have loved to not have one myself)

Sat radio you can install yourself for $300 in about an hour, all in the trunk, all plug and play...you'll want an 07 or newer though to get the sharkfin antenna- otherwise the antenna mounts on the back window and is kinda ugly. You might find a car that already has it but it's not super common.

Heated seats (and vented ones) will be on anything but a base model since they come in the premium, lux, and sport packages....I'd say probably 80-90% of models will have it.

Nav is moderately common, though it's kinda of a crap nav system compared to even a $200 garmin (no realtime traffic, no speaking street names, no lane assist, cripples itself when you put the car in drive, and Lexus bends you over for $300/yr for map updates too). If you get a car without it then Flyaudio offers a pretty nice nav system that looks entirely factory and offers a higher res screen and a lot more features (though still not realtime traffic).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't mean to hi-jack your thread, but I too am looking at getting an 06-07 ISx50. Not sure which yet, I need to test drive them.

My only real question is about something I've read on edmunds consumer reviews. The A/C drain vent on the 2006 models apparently clog/back up and leak into the passanger side floorboard causing damage.

Does anyone know if this was fixed in the 2007 model?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought an 2006 is250 about a month ago. As for the snow I live in northern Canada where theres more snow here in one season than youll see in your life time and I drive the RWD version without any problems, you just gotta make sure you have good all season tires or even better winter tires. I bought the is250 because I only drive standard cars and they dont offer the stick shift in the is350 so if you want an automatic car opt for the is350, much more power (i find the250 really lacks on power) Yeah you can get all the features you want but you just have to look around because i dont even think leather int is standard on this cars.

I dont have alot of experience but so far Im a fan of my is250 just wish it had more power. But also consider the g35/37, acura tl, bmw 3 series, audi a4 because they are all very nice cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a 07 is250awd and had no issues with the car. The wife made me update to a 2009 because she wanted memory seats, sunshade, xm, washers/xenon's and lighted door sills.. Her 07 G35x lease is up so she is taking my 2009 is250awd because I just placed an order for a custom 2010 Cayman which will arrive last week in April or first week in May. I learned how to drive a car in Saratoga, NY with lot of snow. In Virginia roads are not plowed right and people can't drive in snow or rain for that matter. The awd is nice but not necessary if you and the person driving the car next to you know how to drive in the snow.

dave-t

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a 07 is250awd and had no issues with the car. The wife made me update to a 2009 because she wanted memory seats, sunshade, xm, washers/xenon's and lighted door sills.. Her 07 G35x lease is up so she is taking my 2009 is250awd because I just placed an order for a custom 2010 Cayman which will arrive last week in April or first week in May. I learned how to drive a car in Saratoga, NY with lot of snow. In Virginia roads are not plowed right and people can't drive in snow or rain for that matter. The awd is nice but not necessary if you and the person driving the car next to you know how to drive in the snow.

dave-t
You my friend have too much money lol. Ya agreed the AWD is nice but unnecessary if you know how to drive in the snow. Ive never owned an AWD drive car but the way I see it the more parts, the more things that can go wrong and the awd must affect gas milage

·
Registered
103 Posts
That has to be the dumbest quote i've ever heard in the history of online automotive forums. AWD is not overrated at all and as a matter of fact is far superior to rwd and fwd in handling and traction in all types of weather. First off I own an is350 but I did trade in my is250 awd for it. Lexus AWD is not that good, atleast on the 250, it's not a true 50/50 split all the time. From my is250 awd I had an Evo before that car so i'm very experienced in awd vehicles. The is250 awd was just ok in the snow and compared to my current is350 with all seasons I would say it's comparable, except when it comes to hills, deep snow, or turning corners on slippery roads. I feel the is250 awd is not a good as most awd vehicles because the traction control system takes away from the confidence in the awd. I got into numerous sutations in deep snow where I was stuck in my 250 until I turned off the tc and came right out without a problem. What makes the 350 so bad in the snow is not the rwd but the 306 horepower with a high idle speed. If you can find a 350, get it, trust me you as the 250 is slower than your is300, with awd it's even slower. I live in Chicago and had gotten stuck in many snow storms in my 350, it's not a problem if you have all seasons.

AWD is great for off-roading. In street use it's vastly overrated. RWD with GOOD tires does just fine.

There's folks getting far more snow than you (Chicago, Canada, etc) that drive 350s (50% more power than a 250) with no problems in the winter, they just put good snow tires on.

Plus, a RWD model will be at least a couple grand cheaper.

That said, be aware there's virtually nothing you can do to make any ISx50 significantly faster. So go test drive a brand new RWD IS250 (the powertrain hasn't changed since it was introduced) and see if it's "enough" power for you. If so, go find a nice used one. Otherwise you're going to want to pay slightly more for an IS350... 10% more cost for 50% more power.

regarding options-

Sunroof is standard, it's very close to impossible to get the car without it. (sadly, because I'd have loved to not have one myself)

Sat radio you can install yourself for $300 in about an hour, all in the trunk, all plug and play...you'll want an 07 or newer though to get the sharkfin antenna- otherwise the antenna mounts on the back window and is kinda ugly. You might find a car that already has it but it's not super common.

Heated seats (and vented ones) will be on anything but a base model since they come in the premium, lux, and sport packages....I'd say probably 80-90% of models will have it.

Nav is moderately common, though it's kinda of a crap nav system compared to even a $200 garmin (no realtime traffic, no speaking street names, no lane assist, cripples itself when you put the car in drive, and Lexus bends you over for $300/yr for map updates too). If you get a car without it then Flyaudio offers a pretty nice nav system that looks entirely factory and offers a higher res screen and a lot more features (though still not realtime traffic).

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
That has to be the dumbest quote i've ever heard in the history of online automotive forums.
You obviously haven't read very many then.

AWD is not overrated at all
Yeah, it is.

and as a matter of fact is far superior to rwd and fwd in handling and traction in all types of weather.
Completely wrong.

There's a reason most race cars are not AWD. Those that are are generally rally cars that spend a decent bit of time in mud and other unpaved/uneven surfaces.

On paved surfaces (most tracks) where good tires and a good suspension setup give you plenty of traction already AWD is just dead weight that slows you down from winning a race, sucks power via the drivetrain, and throws off the weight balance of the vehicle.

AWD doesn't help handling at all. It helps traction. Those aren't the same thing. That's probably where your lack of understand here begins. If your RWD isn't losing traction (and it shouldn't with good tires on a good road surface) then more traction doesn't help at all... but all that dead, powersucking weight, of the useless AWD system sure hurts. It's the same reason better brake pads don't reduce your stopping distance really.

It's kinda funny you begin by insisting AWD isn't over-rated... then by the end you're admitting a RWD 350 with good tires does just fine even in chicago snow storms.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well today i went and test drove a Acura TL type S and a IS250 AWD. I must say the Acura is F*ckin sexy!! It was fast, handled well and was very impressive. The IS250 was also impressive. It def didnt have as much power as the Acura did but it was still comparable. Im 28 and its not like im racing anyone and need that much crazy HP. My gf if pushing me to get an AWD car but i try telling her that FWD is just as good. I dont know what im going to do. I really liked both cars and dont know what im going to do. I had my IS300 for a couple years and loved the reliabilty of the Lexus name. I dont know what to do.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Well today i went and test drove a Acura TL type S and a IS250 AWD. I must say the Acura is F*ckin sexy!! It was fast, handled well and was very impressive. The IS250 was also impressive. It def didnt have as much power as the Acura did but it was still comparable. Im 28 and its not like im racing anyone and need that much crazy HP. My gf if pushing me to get an AWD car but i try telling her that FWD is just as good. I dont know what im going to do. I really liked both cars and dont know what im going to do. I had my IS300 for a couple years and loved the reliabilty of the Lexus name. I dont know what to do.

Test drive a 350. You'll forget entirely about the Acura. (and won't have to deal with the crappy torque steer of the FWD TL-S when you do romp on it)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bro, i was in the same position you were in. I owned a 01 IS300 since I started driving. Loved it until some woman totaled it from a rear end crash. Time to get a new car. Wanted to go IS250 awd because of snow (Live in North Jersey). Test drove one and loved it. Dealer also has the 350 and figured what the hell, see what its like.

WOOOOOOOWWWW!!!.
As soon as I hit the gas, the 250 was no longer a thought. the 350 is ridiculous, absolutely no comparision to the 250. Put good snow tires on for the 3 months it may snow and you're good. Are you really willing to sacrifice the extreme difference for the 5-6 times it snows a year??
Go test drive the 350 and you'll know what I'm talking about

·
Registered
32 Posts

Yeah, it is.

Completely wrong.

There's a reason most race cars are not AWD. Those that are are generally rally cars that spend a decent bit of time in mud and other unpaved/uneven surfaces.

On paved surfaces (most tracks) where good tires and a good suspension setup give you plenty of traction already AWD is just dead weight that slows you down from winning a race, sucks power via the drivetrain, and throws off the weight balance of the vehicle.

AWD doesn't help handling at all. It helps traction. Those aren't the same thing. That's probably where your lack of understand here begins. If your RWD isn't losing traction (and it shouldn't with good tires on a good road surface) then more traction doesn't help at all... but all that dead, powersucking weight, of the useless AWD system sure hurts. It's the same reason better brake pads don't reduce your stopping distance really.

It's kinda funny you begin by insisting AWD isn't over-rated... then by the end you're admitting a RWD 350 with good tires does just fine even in chicago snow storms.
BURNED!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just ignore you now..... :bigSmile:

Yeah, it is.

Completely wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally it depends on your circumstances. I live in Canada and we do get a ton of snow here except for this year. Given that I drive 100 Kms (60 mi) everyday to work, those 20 - 25 days of snow driving is defintiely much easier with an AWD. Use to drive the first gen IS 300 and the traction is far superior. Don't get me wrong can't agree more with the 350 having ridiculous amount of power but the IS250 AWD is a really nice ride. I recently got 2006 250 AWD with the luxury package except navi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.