Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a different steering wheel and was curious if the 2nd gen ISx50 wheel would fit in our IS300's. I'm looking to gain the audio controls. It doesn't have to be the is350, i wouldn't mind any other lexus wheel with the shift controls (since i have e-shift). I know that Lexus went from single stage to dual stage air bags (what ever that means), so some of the older wheels won't fit on the newer ones. But i'm not sure what we have.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
So you want the airbags to still function? This would be a lot simpler if you chose to forgo the airbags.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
The airbags may work fine assuming resistance and what not is the same for both bags. The audio controls how ever will be pretty much impossible, unless you can find some aftermarket radio that you can wire up to steering controls or some how get the analog interface of our radio to communicate with digital controls.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Yeah, the audio should be fine, there's all sorts of little gizmos for that. Unless you are able to do this yourself I'm not sure that it would be easy to find a shop that would want to tackle it because of the liability issues with fooling around with airbags. I do however think it sounds like a cool idea and thus.....

!!!BUMP!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop will be my garage. I know that lexus has two different air bags. One single stage and dual stage. As long as they match, the air bags will operate as they should. But i'm just not sure if they're both dual (the ISx50 for sure is though).

PAC makes harnesses so that aftermarket decks can use factory steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Only one way to find out................GIVE IT A SHOT!! :) Worst case, you try it and it doesn't work, sell the wheel and carry on with it. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
743 Posts
As far as audio goes, its a good idea.Radio buttons and stuff, especially for aftermarket. As far as E-shift goes, I prefer the up/down shift for lefties or righties. Cool idea, none the less. If you ever get this one going, work on gettin the 2IS shifter to work for our car. So we can have the option of shifting with the actual shifter.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
The airbags may work fine assuming resistance and what not is the same for both bags. The audio controls how ever will be pretty much impossible, unless you can find some aftermarket radio that you can wire up to steering controls or some how get the analog interface of our radio to communicate with digital controls.
There are systems that plug into stock controls, and turn it into an infrared signal, which is then sent to a receiver that controls the deck, so the controls are doable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts