Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for automatic cars, is it possible to alter the e-shift buttons so that when the car is in D mode, the two buttons on the right side of the steering will act as change track buttons and the left two buttons will act as volume up and down buttons.

once you shift from D mode to M mode, the buttons will act as normal up and down shifting buttons?

thanks.

·
8,803 Posts
im sure you could figure out a way to wire them to the stereo full time... which would probably be difficult in and of itself.

but having them act as "hotkeys" when in D or M I dont think would be possible without some serious hacking.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
u'll need a shit load of relays to pull it off if its even doable

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
What do you want them to do to the radio/if you know the wires you want to hook them too on the radio I'd think you would only need 2 relays.

Make that 3 relays to be safe.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
That just sounds whacky, a lot of work to got that simple functionality.

I find it pretty simple to move my arm over to the center of the dash.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok, so i guess the first step is to figure out which wires i need. sounds like a lot of work....

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
The short answer is no. The stock radio does not have an outside control source (ie remote) so it's not even going to be possible if the stereo is not going to accept an outside input. It just won't know what to do with it unless you start tearing and hacking the deck as well. And then add the "only in D" to the equation.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
You only have 3 wires to work with (only 3 run through the spindle thingy). I used the buttons for some "go faster" stuff and a relay had to be used to make 2 different functions work.

·
Registered
154 Posts
even though there are double buttons on the steering wheel. there is only one up signal and one down signal going back down the steering column. so you would have to run two more wires up to the steering wheel and seperate the signals from each up button and each down button. that could prove to be challenging.

then, as stated above, the radio will not accept an outside signal to ajdust the volume.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts