Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I'm driving in a 2007 Lexus IS350 with the navi package and every optional available on it, has roughly 146,000kms and hasnt seen snow in the last 4 years if that counts for anything. Has no issues at all, very smooth and reliable!
But, I am now maybe looking at the Subaru BRZ to replace it. I know its different cars different classes, but if you were in my shoes, would you even consider trading the lexy for the brz? I'd like something newer, alot of fun to drive, just as reliable, etc.

Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Just test drove the 2015 wrx a few weeks back and if you get it in 6speed, its a hell of a car. A little stiff for the older folk imho but very fast, has various fuel saving modes and if you opt for the skirt package, looks real nice.

I'm gonna get a shot at the STI this week or next, i'll fill you in if you're interested.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I've always had it for the WRX, was planning on an 07 until the bank told me that my credit at the time wouldn't allow for a car with a "specialty" turbo engine. That's when I remembered about the IS.

Turns out I could've financed the wrx through my buddies dealership since he has massive pull with all the major banks, but my IS will do for meow.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i'm sure the WRX STi is a fast car...but I'm looking at the BR-Z (no turbos, just all motor 2.0L) Anyone has any comments on this car, good or bad..?

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, considering that everyone and their mother has one, it must be a great car!!! Time to upgrade that Lexus for a Scion :)
lol i'm not looking to upgrade from the lexus...but the IS is getting a bit boring to drive, i mean sure its faster than the BRZ in acceleration, but driving wise, i would imagine the BRZ is a much more fun car to zip around in, and because its built by toyota/subaru, it should be reliable as a lexus pretty much (mechanically speaking).
Just wanted to get opinions on the car, thats all.

·
Registered
80 Posts
indeed the BRZ and FRS are fun cars, but one thing they really lack is power, but if you are into the driver feel type car, then it may be for you, but it will be quite a significant difference coming from a IS350 into a BRZ IMO it feels like a step back.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess i'll have to take one for a spin this weekend and go from there....If i do end up love driving it, then that means my IS will be up for sale, just sayin if anyone may be interested before i put it up on autotrader!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sold my is300 and should be getting the brz in a couple of weeks. I test drove the vehicle but did not drive it hard at all. Let me know how you like it.

·
27,116 Posts
IS300RR... I would suggest that if you can get a car with power then you should go for that. And obviously power is not something you will get with the FRS/BRZ.

People will say that power isn't everything... and that is true... but it adds a lot to the driving experience. The new STi is supposed to be one of the best driving STi's ever... and because it's a turbo you will be able to get much more performance increases out of the car. I would suggest looking for a car that's a complete package and not "just handling".

·
Registered
341 Posts
The FR-S and BRZ are very engaging to drive. You will complain about the lack of power, but you'll enjoy getting to drive it hard on the streets without worrying about excessive speed.

When you get bored of the lack of power, you can always go FI. AVO makes a great turbo kit for the twins. My cousin makes around 300hp with his FR-S.

They weigh less than 2,800 pounds

Nick C.

·
Addict
3,428 Posts
Power lacking complaints in the frs is for kids who don't know what driving is about nor what power is meant to do as part of a vehicle package.

Straight line acceleration is for drag racers and big pony muscle cars.

Frs will do circles around a lot of cars with much higher hp.

Here's my frs doing 1m21 sec at toronto Motorsports park

Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R Track Test | Speed Academy

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
OK...I'll say it then......The most important part of buying a car is what it looks like and what you you look- in it.

FRS still turns my head when I see one :p

....of course I'm joking...really?

Digger08

·
27,116 Posts
Friendly counter point... here's an EVO X going 2 seconds a lap faster at TMP...

Power and handling are not mutually exclusive things... you can have both. And power adds a lot to the driving experience. The only people that go on about how they don't need power are those that don't have it.

How often do you hear people say... "My car is great... but it has too much power... I wish it was slower..." :confused: Unless you are driving a Ferrari F12 with over 700 hp... that likely doesn't happen.

And by all means... as pointed out above... getting an FRS/BRZ and then boosting it is a viable option. Reviews of boosted FRS/BRZ cars all seem to conclude that it solves the "one problem" the car has.

·
27,116 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after checking out the BRZ in person....its a nice car...but i really cant give up my is350 for it...in a straight line and on the hiway, there is no comparison, whereas braking and handling feel better since its a lighter car, but overall, NO way ill trade my IS for it and still pay more money for the difference. I shall wait for an ISF once they get a bit cheaper!

Thanks to all who chimed in on this thread!!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How often do you hear people say... "My car is great... but it has too much power... I wish it was slower..." :confused: Unless you are driving a Ferrari F12 with over 700 hp... that likely doesn't happen.
An Evo with some goodies added on will be pretty fast around TMP, I think that goes without saying. But it's only two seconds faster than an almost-stock but properly setup FR-S. Two seconds can be a lot or a little depending on your viewpoints. I'd lean towards the latter, myself.

I recently had a chance to drive the Audi RS7 at length. 560hp 4.0L V8, with the two turbos living in the valley. Lots of people are saying it is underrated.

Long story short, that is the one car I've driven in recent memory where I could conclude that there really is such a thing as too much power. People look at me weird when I say this. Slow car fast is better than fast car slow in most cases. My summer/project car has 92hp and it's one of the most fun and enjoyable things to drive.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts