Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that whenever I go at higher speeds (80+) I hear something flapping. It sounds like it could be a body panel or something and it seems like it comes from the drivers side on the front of the car. Its hard to tell what it is whenever I look at everything, so does anyone have any possible suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
It could be one of the several underbody debris guard panels. They are made of plastic, and sometimes they get shredded. I don't know exactly how many panels there are, but I counted at least 5. 3 of mine are hanging down at spots.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
lexusaltezza said:
I noticed that whenever I go at higher speeds (80+) I hear something flapping. It sounds like it could be a body panel or something and it seems like it comes from the drivers side on the front of the car. Its hard to tell what it is whenever I look at everything, so does anyone have any possible suggestions?
Take it back to the dealer. There was a recall for the underbody panel on the 01's that I know of. When it happened to me it scared the crap out of me, I didnt know WTF was going on. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BigJoeD said:
lexusaltezza said:
I noticed that whenever I go at higher speeds (80+) I hear something flapping. It sounds like it could be a body panel or something and it seems like it comes from the drivers side on the front of the car. Its hard to tell what it is whenever I look at everything, so does anyone have any possible suggestions?
Take it back to the dealer. There was a recall for the underbody panel on the 01's that I know of. When it happened to me it scared the crap out of me, I didnt know WTF was going on. :lol:
Mine is a 02. What would I tell the dealer? I can't tell them that when I speed over 80 that I hear the sound. Wouldn't they tell me that I shouldn't be driving that fast anyways, and how would I be able to replicate the sound if they want to hear it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
Did you look under there to see if you can find it yourself? Then if there is a defect, you can just show the dealer guy.

If you don't want to do that, the dealer can put it up on a rack and have a look. It doesn't necessarily have to be driven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
The 2001 recall was only for a side panel, and that's it. If it's one of the other panels (or the wheel wells), you'll have to pay for it yourself, and they are EXPENSIVE for pieces of plastic.

If you get them to replace the panels for free, I'll drive to whatever dealer you went to, because Longo wouldn't replace mine, even though I've got 3 that are hanging down or shredded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After looking around, nothing appears to be loose. Here is something unusual. Yesterday when I was driving on the interstate at about 80mph there was a constant LOUD wind noise coming from my driver side window. This is the exact noise I hear at higher speeds. However yesterday was the only time I heard it without going over 80mph. It was also 42 degrees if that remotely has anything to do with it. I tried to listen to what the sound was, but it was hard to tell. Its as if the wind was flapping on my driver side window. There was also a faint whistling sound coming from the window. I decided to bring down the window a little bit then bring it back up and there was HIGH pitched whistling sound that almost made my ears burst! What could it be?! :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
lexusaltezza said:
After looking around, nothing appears to be loose. Here is something unusual. Yesterday when I was driving on the interstate at about 80mph there was a constant LOUD wind noise coming from my driver side window. This is the exact noise I hear at higher speeds. However yesterday was the only time I heard it without going over 80mph. It was also 42 degrees if that remotely has anything to do with it. I tried to listen to what the sound was, but it was hard to tell. Its as if the wind was flapping on my driver side window. There was also a faint whistling sound coming from the window. I decided to bring down the window a little bit then bring it back up and there was HIGH pitched whistling sound that almost made my ears burst! What could it be?! :-?
There's a body plug that's missing on some cars. It's on the unibody frame, under the car just below the left footrest. Sometimes they took out that plug and the noise travels travels up to the window though the A pillar. Look under the footwell from under the car and see if ther isa an oval hole in there. If there is, the dealer needs to put the plastic plug back in that hole.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Heh, just had that happen to me last week.
I was doing a couple pulls on the highway and got scared.
Then I noticed that the pannel was off the two small plastic bolts.

I lifted the car and put them back into place.
Later when we lifted the car again, we put a bigger nut/plastic screw in there to keep it from falling off again.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
goldark said:
Heh, just had that happen to me last week.
I was doing a couple pulls on the highway and got scared.
Then I noticed that the pannel was off the two small plastic bolts.

I lifted the car and put them back into place.
Later when we lifted the car again, we put a bigger nut/plastic screw in there to keep it from falling off again.
You are experiencing EXACTLY what the recall was for.

BTW ÜberPhLuBB WTF is a side panel anyways? Check out the Lexus service bullitens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,013 Posts
BigJoeD said:
goldark said:
Heh, just had that happen to me last week.
I was doing a couple pulls on the highway and got scared.
Then I noticed that the pannel was off the two small plastic bolts.

I lifted the car and put them back into place.
Later when we lifted the car again, we put a bigger nut/plastic screw in there to keep it from falling off again.
You are experiencing EXACTLY what the recall was for.

BTW ÜberPhLuBB WTF is a side panel anyways? Check out the Lexus service bullitens.
Look under your car and you will see not one, but many panels. I'm talking about panels to the sides.
 

·
$lores amongst us!
Joined
·
10,675 Posts
ÜberPhLuBB said:
BigJoeD said:
goldark said:
Heh, just had that happen to me last week.
I was doing a couple pulls on the highway and got scared.
Then I noticed that the pannel was off the two small plastic bolts.

I lifted the car and put them back into place.
Later when we lifted the car again, we put a bigger nut/plastic screw in there to keep it from falling off again.
You are experiencing EXACTLY what the recall was for.

BTW ÜberPhLuBB WTF is a side panel anyways? Check out the Lexus service bullitens.
Look under your car and you will see not one, but many panels. I'm talking about panels to the sides.
OK :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I found the problem! After coming back from a long dring this morning with that annoying flapping sound, I inspected my car one more time. This time I noticed that next to my grill the piece of the front bumper next to the headlight was sticking out unusually far. So I popped open the hood and there I noticed two of the plastic screw things missing! That is the part that has been flapping at high speeds. So I will drop by the dealership tomorrow and get some new screws. :D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top