Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wassup all,

this is my first post here, but i've been visiting is300.net for a while now to learn more about the 2001 is300 i picked up 2 months ago. it's been driving like a dream, except i've been running into a problem lately...

i'll start from the beginning. the other day i'm getting out of the gym, and i'm trying to use the keyless entry remote to unlock the doors and pop the trunk, but there's no response. i manually open the doors and take a seat, only to find the door light and the overhead light flicker on for a sec and then shut off. i go to turn on the car but nothing. i didn't leave the lights on but it seemed the battery was drained. i waited a minute, tried again, then it turned on! what gives? i drove the car for 30min to charge it back up, and next morning the same thing happened. but again, the car started after waiting for a while.

that was a week ago, and this happens intermittently now. most of the time no problem, occasionally it gives me a hard time. it's more annoying than anything, so i wanna try to fix this up. is the battery in need of replacement? the voltmeter on the speedo cluster reads about 13v, i checked battery connections to be tight with no corrosion, and the hydrometer on the battery shows blue. tell me it's not the alternator...

thanks for any help!

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
happened to me, similar problems...

my dealership replaced my battery free with warranty..

try that, and good luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Most likely there is a fault w/ the battery. Often, everything w/ the battery physically seems fine but the faults are only detectable via AVR tests the dealers will run. It should be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah, yeah i forgot to mention that its warranty period is already over, with the car at 54,000 miles... i just wanted to know if it's definitely the battery and nothing else!

·
Registered
18,524 Posts
koyin said:
ah, yeah i forgot to mention that its warranty period is already over, with the car at 54,000 miles... i just wanted to know if it's definitely the battery and nothing else!
regardless, bring it to the dealer, they still might give u a free battery out of it...

good luck!

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
I think the battery has a separate warranty. An OEM battery should be warranted for 4 or 5 years.

Since your problem is off and on, it's a good idea to check your cables and make sure the connections are tight and clean. I slightly loose ground wire can cause the type of problems you are having. It'won't always be grounded well enough to start the car, and it won't always get a good charge while driving. I'd check that first.

You can also hook the battery up to a charger and see if it pulls the set amount of amps, and that the amps drop off over time. If it doesn't, then the battery may be failed.

·
8,849 Posts
Tighten your battery connections. It's not the alternator.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
by the battery connections, do you mean the 2 bolts at the top of the battery? i checked those and they're both (at least) handtight, as well as the clamp that keeps the battery in place.

i'm gonna contact the lexus dealership today to see if the battery is in fact warranteed separately from the car. if not, any suggestions on a good replacement battery to go with?

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
The battery clamps need to be snugged down with a wrench. Not overtoruqed but tight. And clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts