Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to discuss the possibilities of this engine being put into the next IS. If the next GS is getting this 3.0 liter V6, then we are most likely going to see it in the next IS. I am glad they didn't go with the Solara/RX330/ES330 engine, because it is not really a performance engine. More of a truck engine.

Here are the specs:

3.0 liter V6 - 245 hp; 228 lb.-ft. of torque

I have read in other threads that this isn't enough horsepower. I think it is plenty and if Toyoya can squeeze an extra 10-15 horsepower out of this engine for the IS, it would be nice in the 260 range.

Comparing this engine to it's Japanese competition:

Acura TL 270 HP 3.2 liter V6 = 84.4 HP per liter
Toyota 245 HP 3.0 liter V6 = 81.7 HP per liter
Infiniti G35 (sedan) 260 HP 3.5 liter V6 = 74.3 HP per liter

Toyota is getting good power out of this engine for it's displacement. I am going to miss the 2JZ, and will be keeping my 02 IS300 as my project car, but the V6 might no be so bad for people that don't want to mod.

If the next IS does get this engine, then it will still be an IS300. No IS330.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
nothing will be as smooth as the inline though. :(

i agree that toyota needs to bump up the balls on the stock IS though, to compete with the market! i'll be sad to see the straight6 go.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davefisher said:
nothing will be as smooth as the inline though. :(

i agree that toyota needs to bump up the balls on the stock IS though, to compete with the market! i'll be sad to see the straight6 go.
Toyota does a good job making their V6's pretty smooth. We will see if/when it happens.

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
Comparing this engine to it's Japanese competition:

Acura TL 270 HP 3.2 liter V6 = 84.4 HP per liter
Toyota 245 HP 3.0 liter V6 = 81.7 HP per liter
Infiniti G35 (sedan) 260 HP 3.5 liter V6 = 74.3 HP per liter
A couple of other slightly downmarket comparisons:

-Honda Accord 240 HP 3.0 liter V6 = 80 HP per liter. Also, 212 lb/ft of torque (vs 228 for the Lexus 3.0 V6)
-Mazda 6 220 HP 3.0 liter V6 = 73.3 HP per liter
And:
-Lexus RX - 230 HP 3.3 liter V6 = 69.7 HP per liter. 242 lb/ft of torque.

I see your point: For a 3-liter V6, horsepower is quite competitive, and the HP per liter for the Lexus 3.0 V6 is actually better than all but the Acura TL. It seems so strange and illogical for the Lexus GS (and, presumably, the next IS) to be 3 liter, however, when not only the RX and ES but even stuff like the Toyota Camry SE and Sienna minivan are 3.3 L. And, while HP is up, torque is down for the 3.0 vs 3.3 (a logical byproduct of the smaller displacement).

The $64,000 question: Is the GS V6 really a 3-liter, or a 3.3? A typo in Lexus' press release is possible. I've suspected that might be the case, and the Webmaster independently reached the same conclusion. Then again, check out these excerpts from a June 2003 Automobile magazine article which is part of our "Front Page" Industry News:
The current I6 in the GS300 is to be replaced with V6's ranging from 3.0 (?) to 3.5 liters. The bit about the new Supra, due for sale in 2004, also mentions 3.0 (?) and 3.5 liter V6's matched to a six speed tranny.Now, the juicy bit is that the new Supra is to built on the upcoming second gen IS platform... Now, Automobile says the IS is to get a similarly sized V6 (ie, 3.0L) as well as a larger (3.4 to 3.5) engine.

:crazy:

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
wrongway said:
There's talk about the new supra?? Any spy shots?
None to my knowledge.

I was SO convinced that it would be at the recent Tokyo Auto Show. When I heard it wouldn't be there I got :pissed: and totally lost interest in the show...

·
Registered
480 Posts

i love the fact about the more powerful car, but after a bad winter last year i really wanna see all wheel drive, any one else that was in the east coast last year, i know now everyone forgot ,but think about it guys, as much as i want power i wannna be able to get around in the winter ...... :chill:

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: ...

neiiy69 said:
i love the fact about the more powerful car, but after a bad winter last year i really wanna see all wheel drive, any one else that was in the east coast last year, i know now everyone forgot ,but think about it guys, as much as i want power i wannna be able to get around in the winter ...... :chill:
I agree, but I like the AWD on the G35. It only uses it when it needs it. Stays RWD most of the time.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
So maybe 2 options? a 3.0 liter 245 HP V6 and a 3.5 liter 300 HP V6? That would be nice in the next IS. So we may see an IS300 and an IS350. Sounds very Nissan to me.
i highly doubt that....

who know's, its at least 2 years away.... :crazy:

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
Nope. A recent Automotive News article (which was also reprinted in Autoweek) says that the next-gen IS will be on sale no later than Spring 2005. And I have a hunch it'll make its world debut at either the Geneva Auto Show this March, or at the New York Auto Show this April.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
jruhi4 said:
tsopranoMB said:
Nope. A recent Automotive News article (which was also reprinted in Autoweek) says that the next-gen IS will be on sale no later than Spring 2005. And I have a hunch it'll make its world debut at either the Geneva Auto Show this March, or at the New York Auto Show this April.
ok, a year and half.... :lol:

and I agree a possible unveiling at NY auto show in april...or at least not untill Jan 2005 north america detroit show....

·
Premium Member
16,536 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
and I agree a possible unveiling at NY auto show in april...or at least not untill Jan 2005 north america detroit show....
One more possibility: Paris Auto Show in September.

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I did a little research and found tha the engine in the Avalon is:

3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC VVT-i V6
210 hp @ 5,800 rpm
220 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

This looks like the closest to the new engine going into the next GS. They probably uped the redline/increased compression to get more power. Maybe even added VVTL-i. Do we know anything about this engine? I know the Avalon is a FWD car, but Toyota might have engineered a RWD platform for it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Norcal IS300 said:
So I did a little research and found tha the engine in the Avalon is:

3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC VVT-i V6
210 hp @ 5,800 rpm
220 lb.-ft. @ 4,400 rpm

This looks like the closest to the new engine going into the next GS. They probably uped the redline/increased compression to get more power. Maybe even added VVTL-i. Do we know anything about this engine? I know the Avalon is a FWD car, but Toyota might have engineered a RWD platform for it.
Avalon is carrying the MZ engine like the rest of the FWD vehicle line.

That's not the same as the GR engine, also used in Toyota Crown. This appears to be the V6 used in new RWD vehicles.

http://www.is300.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13371477

3GR actually puts out a little more than 250HP in Crown. Too bad GS is only getting 245HP. :pissed:

·
Registered
12,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I didn't know you had a post about this. Looks like you are correct. Makes perfect sense for Lexus to mimic BMW once again and offer a 2.5 liter and 3.0 liter engine options. I quoted you below. Thanks sleepy.

sleepy said:
Well, I just saw this at Toyota Japan's website. The new Crown carries 3GR(3.0L) and 4GR(2.5L) engines. 3GR produces 256ps and 32kgm torque!! I think that translates to about 253hp and 230 ftlb -- that's pretty damn good for a NA 3L engine! Imagine if the states gets a bigger displacement version

sleepy said:
Gathering random info from the web site... the engine is equipped with dual VVT-i, and 90% of peak torque is available from 2k rpm. 3GR Crown is paired with the new 6-speed auto, and 4GR with 5-speed auto.

Some pics

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.