Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what the specs are on these cars. Is it a 4cyl. or 6cyl.. It was one of those times where your driving, and bam someones next to you itching to race. I figured, ok too early in the morning and there were no cars on the road, well there was another car on the road a couple of intersections down which just happened to be a sherrif. The 944 was pulling on me between 3 and fourth, we had to slow down for a stop light, the one where the sheriff was, luckily we both slowed way before red. Anyone know the specs on this car, dont know how it wouldve turned out. I did see 944 turbo oem emblems while we were at the stop light, after that he just turned right.

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
It's a big 4 cylinder w/ single turbo. 0-60 is like 6.0 sec and top speed 155 mph, so don't feel bad. Like 230hp? I forget, great cars, but rare these days.

Originally posted by RACER-X:
I have no idea what the specs are on these cars. Is it a 4cyl. or 6cyl.. It was one of those times where your driving, and bam someones next to you itching to race. I figured, ok too early in the morning and there were no cars on the road, well there was another car on the road a couple of intersections down which just happened to be a sherrif. The 944 was pulling on me between 3 and fourth, we had to slow down for a stop light, the one where the sheriff was, luckily we both slowed way before red. Anyone know the specs on this car, dont know how it wouldve turned out. I did see 944 turbo oem emblems while we were at the stop light, after that he just turned right.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
3.0L 4-cylinder to be exact.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the 3 liters were not turbocharged, only the 2.5's, the 3 liters were n/a, so if he raced a turbo, it was 2.5.

anyways, i don't know what kind of car the original poster has, or what is done to it, but if it was a stock IS, the porsche is gonna rape you, that car can keep up with a new vette from a roll, how do i know? i've raced a friend in a new vette with my brothers 944 turbo, and his wasn't even a turboS, which has another 30 or 40 horsepower or so.

the car is a real pain to work on, but it is basically a detuned race car, designed for twisties, its rwd, with a transaxle!

Originally posted by JW:
3.0L 4-cylinder to be exact.

·
Registered
759 Posts
What does having a transaxle do? I wish I bought that mag where I saw it listing the history of the Porsches. Isn't there a S2 type too or was that the 968? I sure like the 968!

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
instead of having a normal front engine rear drive setup, it has the motor up front and tranmission in the rear of the car, along with the drive wheels, for perfect 50-50 weight distribution, since it was road raced alot, and that is what it was designed for, its pretty cool actually, until the cars waterpump goes up every 30k, and you have to pull the head to fix it.

Originally posted by LexusIS886:
What does having a transaxle do? I wish I bought that mag where I saw it listing the history of the Porsches. Isn't there a S2 type too or was that the 968? I sure like the 968!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh, I think I remember now. The transmission and axle are combined into one hence the name transaxle. Very interesting... man I got a bad memory!

·
Registered
178 Posts
if it was a 1989 or later 944 turbo he was probably toying with you... the 944 is probably one of the fastest production porsche made... chip it and they easily run 300+ HP... perfect balance... the 89 and later models come with fully adjustable Konis front and back...

wish i could find one for less the $20K USD...

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
my friend jus tsold his 89' Porsche 924 S....not too quick, but 50/50 weight distribution - its a great rally car if u mod the engine a little....we call it the poor mans porsche, but the 944 turbo - thats a fast ride

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Transaxle helps the weight distribution.
Originally posted by LexusIS886:
Oh, I think I remember now. The transmission and axle are combined into one hence the name transaxle. Very interesting... man I got a bad memory!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI guys;

Ive got the srt hifi w/hks hiper. Our run was for about three blocks or so. Not enough to really make a good call on. With that said, he was definitely pulling on me. I just dont know how it wouldve turned out towards the mids and top ends. I know with my set up that there is a very big pull on fourth. Would that however been enough to catch him? I dont know. I appreciate the feedback guys.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: RACER-X ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts