Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to do a full detail on my IS this weekend and one of the items I got to try was my just received wheel sealant from Poorboys poorboysworld.com.

Since my ride is only about a month old, I am not even considering the ceramic pads, unless and until I get some wear out of the original.

Having said that, my IS is Starfire Pearl (white) and not only does the brake dust really cake up on the rims, but I now notice it on the paint a lot more than I did on my Tungsten Pearl IS.

So, I order Poorboys Wheel Sealant after reading good reviews about it online. Here are my thoughts on it:

It comes in an 8oz tub and it is pink and had a paste-like consistency. I have read where some think it "smells great" but I think it smells horrendous (a very strong petroleum scent to me).

In any event, I followed the instructions and placed a fairly think coat on the rims with a clean terry applicator pad. I let it dry (about 1 hour) and buffed off.

The application process was a nightmare. Compared to the liquid waxes I've used on my paint, this was much more difficult to put on and remove. I eventually put on and removed three coats (as per the directions). I had planned to remove the wheels on do the entire wheel, but did not get around to it this time (I will do that in a few weeks).

To be fair, I didn't buy this stuff for "ease of application", I did so in the hopes that it would diminish the brake dust effect or in the alternative make the wheels easier to clean. I will give updates as I go along as to my little "Poorboys" experiment.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I use it occasionally. Applying was to wheels is indeed a pain. It does an OK job at making the dust easier to wash off, but that's it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cdeslandes,

I love what it says on the tub. "The more coats the greater the protection". Only it is a real pain in the A$$ to put on and take off. I find it takes me longer to clean my wheels than ANYTHING else on this car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I can tell you since I switched to ceramic pads on my 350 I no longer have a brake dust problem. I have not noticed any differance in performance either. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you since I switched to ceramic pads on my 350 I no longer have a brake dust problem. I have not noticed any differance in performance either. Just my $.02.
Oh, there is NO doubt I'll do the TSB on brake pads and switch to the ceramics, but I've only got 350 miles on my car... can't do that quite yet!!!

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
that is the TSB (technical service bulletin) they are speaking of.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*Update*

So, I've now had a few weeks to evaluate how the Poorboys Wheel Sealant is working and I have to tell you that I'm a bit disappointed. Prior to buying the poorboys, I was using Meguiars NXT (original version) on my wheels, as it was my wax of choice for my paint, I figured I would just use it on my wheels as well.

Although I generally love Meguiars products, I did not like how the NXT performed on my wheels.

So, back to my little test. I did my IS as well as my wife's RX (and a CR-V). I've been driving the IS for about two weeks with the wheel sealant and took the RX on a 1500 mile "excursion" this past week. Both results were disappointing.

On dust build up: I did not notice ANY discernable difference on either car, from using the NXT or nothing at all. Seemed exactly the same.

On removal of brake dust: I cleaned the rims two different ways: On the RX, I used a Karcher power washer (first). I rinsed them down with the machine and a lot of Turtle Wax soap. I then used the high pressure rinse. It looked like the dust was just flying off the rim. I was AMAZED. While I was working with the power washer, I wasn't sure if the PW was the holy grail, or if it was the poorboys.

Finally I finished and inspected the wheels. FILTHY!!! Still very dirty with a light film of brake dust. Got down and washed them with my regular assortment of brushes and they came clean.

Time saved: 0 Minutes.

Easier then before: No.

Appearance after wash: Same as with NXT or no wax.

Next, on to my IS.

I used my normal washing method for my IS. First rinse with hose and spary gun attachment (which dispenses soap). Next, I use three different scrub brushes for wheels + my wash mit (just for my wheels).

Same basic story as was for the IS. I noticed NO difference at all, as opposed to using no wax.

I'll continue to use the wheel sealant (because it was nearly 20 bucks with shipping), but I cannot recommend it. Given the amount of time and effort it takes to apply it, it just doesn't make sense to use this stuff. If there was any difference, it was so small I couldn't tell.

As I said in my initial post, once I get some miles on these pads, I'll be doing the TSB and getting the ceramics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts