Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! Looks and personal feelings aside. I'm looking to have a performance car. I was considering spending between $8-9k and turbocharging the IS300, but for the same price, I could buy an EVO VIII and have ~$3K in mods to spend. Anyone know what the faster car would be? I'm just curious, I honestly don't know and right now I'm just throwing ideas around. Thanks for any info..............

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is300 turbocharged

Is that your honest, unbiased opinion of which car would be faster? :lol:

Really, my main concern with the turbo IS300 is the money to return the car to stock to sell it, and reliability issues being turbo'd.

My main concern with the Evo VIII is depreciation. I don't know how well those cars will hold their value :-?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I thought they still hold like how all Mitsu's value hold, but then again maybe not, cause they don't have the 0.0% APR on those Evos do they?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they still hold like how all Mitsu's value hold, but then again maybe not, cause they don't have the 0.0% APR on those Evos do they?

Financing is not a problem for me, my dad is the VP of commercial lending at a large bank in our area. I've always got the good interest rates. :D

What did you mean by your Mitsu statement? Crappy re-sale?

·
Registered
249 Posts
The demand on the EVO VIII is dropping fast. Dealers are begging to write and discount ing the car heavily. Resale has never been a Mitsu strong point. There is something to be said about Lexus/Toyota owning 6 of the 10 spots on the JD POWER's top 10 cars.

As nice as the EVO is to drive. It gets tiring and loud, not to mention no cruise control. There are definitely times where 'some' comfort is welcomed. Keep your IS, add some power and enjoy the ride. It's built to last a very long time.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know which would be faster but I'd definitely take a stg 2 turbo IS over any Evo, no matter how fast. A stg 2 turbo IS is already more than fast enough.

Reliability shouldn't be a big concern, the IS300 is one of the most reliable upscale sedans available.

In defense of the Evo, I will say that resale is more model dependent than brand dependant. The reason why Mitsubishis traditionally have poor resale value compared to Japanese rivals is their cars traditionally sell poor compared to Japanese rivals. Lexus usually has very good resale but the IS300 has only avg resale according to Consumer Reports - it's because the IS sells poorly in its segment.

I expect the Evo to hold resale value well, as it's not just another car but a flagship car.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
crontab said:
Your turbo IS is much faster, not all turbo IS' are.
I've had several Evo 8s for snack also. They were lightly modded (boost controller, turbo maifold, exhaust) but still just a snack :p . Oh, btw, I gotta give the 0-60 feet hole shot props. Those things shoot out like bat out of :crazy: , but I quickly let them know 2 car lengths is nothing when the turbo spools and wheels the gap and pass them.

As for the topic of thread, the Evo 8 is a fun car. I've driven them and several of my friends/team mates have them, but it's not a replacement to a Lexus...not even close... Hope that helps. In terms of speed, a Stage 2 IS300 turbo will still keep up even with a modded Evo (except one with an upgraded turbo). Good luck.

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
for short term fun, i think evo will be your choice, but since you are gonna turbo your IS, i say you keep the IS. as for long term, nothing can beat the relability and resale value of a lexus hands down!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Evo is a great car, turboed is300 even better :p You cant go wrong with either, both motors are extremely well built. I just think the evo is ugly but that is not a reason to tell someone not to buy it. If you spend 3000 on an evo and 8000 on a pfs stg 2 for is, the is will definitely be faster, so if those are your main concerns go with a kit for your lex. 8000 on an evo is another story.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
you may want to look at how much tuning potential the evo really has...i do not know the answer to this question but it seems like the IS has way more potentail (yeah i know it started out slower but i think it can get higher HP's)...just think about it when weighing the two

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
OFF TOPIC belongs in the Parking Lot Forum.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, it's getting more and more off topic :D

But you guys are comparing MONSTER IS300's with Evo VIII's. I mean, how much rwhp are Wxman and isman running daily? My total turbo budget is $8-9K, meaning I'll probably end up with a TBKO stage 2 and a few small extras. I do know the high end on turbo IS300's is killer. This is really a tough decision :-?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
stage 2 is300 > evo + 3k mod

is300 wins it by every class except the stock performance..which evo8 outperforms like no other..evo8 is one probably the best 30g car out there for the performance.

evo8 and sti are in its own class for performance.

i pick is300 anyday tho

the brand of evo8 is really a question..they had their share of problems and such.

anywayz i pick [email protected]#

get stage2 on is300 and u will own -_-;

·
Registered
223 Posts
re: Discounted Evo Pricing

This is interesting...where are you guys located?
there are a bunch of Evos in the Santa Monica Mitsubishi overflow lot, just sitting there. Reason? They're not willing to haggle off their 16 thousand dollar markup. (Yeah that's right, it's now listing for more than an M3.) Insanity.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts