Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, there’s a place called Rubberline in Brantford where I’m from that sells polyurethane, I own a machine shop in Mississauga and hope to make my brother some bushings for the lower control arm instead of buying the entire arm from Lexus.

What I need is the hardness best suitable for suspension applications?

The sales guy told me 40 would be soft and 90 would be hard.. what would I be looking at?

Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok I'm looking for anything within the 80-90 Duration which I just found out, new question..

Anyone know the Dimension of the control arm bushing? ID required, meanind OD of bushing, is it larger than 2" ??

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Hey there. You might have better luck posting this in the "stop drop and roll" section of the forum. Its worth a shot.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Didn't Andrew W at AutoAnalyser, already engineer this part?

He is local to Toronto, and drove the IS300 racing car last year.

He may or may not help.

Digger08

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to update, I made some custom LCA bushings yesterday and installed them last night, the car is going for alignment today, waiting to see what the guy says about the bushings.

I went for an alignment after changing breaks and ball joint the other day but he was unable to align due to worn out bushings, I ordered some Polyurethane and made some custom bushings, that shit is terrible to machine on the lathe but overall I think it turned out pretty good.

I don’t have any pics yet, but I can take some of the install.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just to update, I made some custom LCA bushings yesterday and installed them last night, the car is going for alignment today, waiting to see what the guy says about the bushings.

I went for an alignment after changing breaks and ball joint the other day but he was unable to align due to worn out bushings, I ordered some Polyurethane and made some custom bushings, that shit is terrible to machine on the lathe but overall I think it turned out pretty good.

I don’t have any pics yet, but I can take some of the install.
How much does it cost?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you really machine poly? Why didn't you just use delrin?

Fig
Well machining poly isn’t the best idea, but does work with the right tools/speed, there was a little playing around at first to get the best results obviously the machined surface isn’t as good as the poly bushings that you can buy, but it does the trick.

After I pressed them in I put the arm in a vise and moved it around, it vas very tight especially compared to the OEM bushings that were replaced, when put into a vice and moved, they were very loose.

Finally got the car aligned with no problems, where before I couldn’t get the car aligned because the wheels shook from loose bushings.

next thing to replace are my sway bar links..

I’m working my way around the car to get rid of these damn noises.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why didn't you just use delrin?

Fig
Delrin is used for bushings :confused: I'm aware its a metal replacement, I thought it would be too rough and brittle but I never actually researched it before. I guess you’re saying delrin is easier to machine, but do people actually use it for bushings?

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Delrin is used for bushings :confused: I'm aware its a metal replacement, I thought it would be too rough and brittle but I never actually researched it before. I guess you’re saying delrin is easier to machine, but do people actually use it for bushings?
Yeah most of the offroad trucks use it for bushing materials because of its lubricity and high durometer.

excerpt from port plastics decription:
Delrin®* is a general-purpose, homopolymer acetal. Acetal is valued for its low moisture absorption, dimensional stability, machinability and strength. Low coefficient of friction and good bearing characteristics also describe this material. Acetal is a good choice for applications requiring strength and wear resistance. It also is ideal for submerged parts, outperforming Nylon 4 to 1 in these situations. Acutech Acetal meets ASTM standard D4181 and D6100.
PRODUCT FEATURES
  • High strength
  • Excellent machining properties
  • Low coefficient of friction
  • Low moisture absorption
  • Dimensional stability
  • Continuous service temperature 180ŽF
  • FDA approved
Application
  • Bushings
  • Gears
  • Guides
  • Low-friction components
  • Food and beverage industry
The important aspect I see is that poly is typically molded in shape whereas delrin can be machined for higher precision and it machines like butter.

Did you sleeve your poly bushings on the mountng bolt inferface also? I hear poly likes to grab after a while thus the squeaks start. Anyway, good job on the bushing replacement you will have to let us know how it goes long term.

Fig

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the Info Fig, I'll have to remember that next time around for bushings .. note to self Delrin > poly hehe

I did some searching before making these bushings, but i didnt find anything on sleeves, so no I didnt sleeve my poly's, I guess I'll play the waiting game and update after time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts