Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be filling my sub enclosure with polyfill...but I'm wondering if the increase in box volume...(or what your sub sees as an increase in box volume)...is with your box volume while the sub is inside the box, in other words the volume after sub displacement

Or if the percentage increase in box volume is calculated before you place the sub into the enclosure, in other words, the volume of the box before the sub displacement...

Thanks

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
You're gonna have to re-word that. I'm close to breaking through but I can't quite understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i think he's talking about the perceived increase in volume due to polyfill. is that perceived increase with the sub installed? or without the sub installed? am i getting that right?

EDIT: are you trying to use the polyfill to fake the sub into thinking it's in a larger enclosure? and thus want to know how to calculate how much polyfill to use?

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
are you trying to use the polyfill to fake the sub into thinking it's in a larger enclosure? and thus want to know how to calculate how much polyfill to use?
Ok, that sounds like what he's saying.

And on that note.....I have no idea how you would do that. I'd have just built the enclosure larger to start with.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, that is what I was saying, and I am still in the process of constructing the enclosure...but the amount of cubic feet I need isn't exactly allowed by our tiny trunks...at least in a somewhat convenient manner...so I want to use as much polyfill, effectively, as I can so as to decrease the amount of space I take up in the trunk.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
yes, that is what I was saying, and I am still in the process of constructing the enclosure...but the amount of cubic feet I need isn't exactly allowed by our tiny trunks...at least in a somewhat convenient manner...so I want to use as much polyfill, effectively, as I can so as to decrease the amount of space I take up in the trunk.
What volume specs are you trying to meet and for what woofer?

I could probably help you design something.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What volume specs are you trying to meet and for what woofer?

I could probably help you design something.

I've got two 15" MA Audio HK159XC's found here

I'm looking to get 2 cubic feet for each sub...I've already molded the box to fit around the gas tank and wheel wells...so I've utilized as much space as possible thus far...

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Losely stuff the enclosure and call it a day. I am a firm believer that poly fill will help any sealed enclosure. Ported, forget it as you need to put in inside a pillow case or the like or it will end up everywhere.....

·
Registered
132 Posts
"There's no replacement for displacement" or something like that. Okay, I don't remember the exact rule quotation but the point is that nothing can replace true airspace....hmm maybe that was it "you can't replace airspace"
...yah.............

try to get it close as possible and like stated above ^^ loosely stuff :D

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
You can make a 4 cube box that will fit in the trunk. You won't have much trunk space though. It's a give and take situation.

BTW, do you already have these woofers?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can make a 4 cube box that will fit in the trunk. You won't have much trunk space though. It's a give and take situation.

BTW, do you already have these woofers?

Yes, unfortunately I already have these woofers...and I don't mind giving up my entire trunk...I'm just concerned about giving the subs enough air to move...

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Yes, unfortunately I already have these woofers...and I don't mind giving up my entire trunk...I'm just concerned about giving the subs enough air to move...
Oh, well that's no problem then. I can get two cubes in the trunk up against the seat back and still allow access to the spare. 4 Cubes shouldn't be much harder. What design are you thinking about doing?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, well that's no problem then. I can get two cubes in the trunk up against the seat back and still allow access to the spare. 4 Cubes shouldn't be much harder. What design are you thinking about doing?
Just a plain old sealed design...nothing special...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts