Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Overhauling my ride and ran into a snag.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper

While torquing the rear mount bolts to spec (105 ft-lbs! https://desmas.net/is300/manual/SA-102.png), the click wasn't as desired. Somehow, the differential cover cracked.
I suppose the replacement bushing isn't dimensioned quite the same as stock, but possibly this is simply due to age. Has anyone a similar experience or thoughts otherwise; what do you all think? Fortunately I have spares and can practice some aluminum welding about this one, but disappointing evening none-the-less.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Man, I think it sucks. At least you didn’t have the axles installed. They suck to mess with. I’ve got the same StrongFlex bushings, they went in with no problem I am aware of. Had to make a jig to pull them thru the subframe but no cracks or anything. Guess it’s a good reason to get a Greddy high-capacity diff cover?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Man, I think it sucks. At least you didn’t have the axles installed. They suck to mess with.
Seconded. In my experience, removing the stub axle bolts almost guarantees rounding one or two, even with full engagement, and removing the stubs can be a real PITA.

I’ve got the same StrongFlex bushings, they went in with no problem I am aware of. Had to make a jig to pull them thru the subframe but no cracks or anything. Guess it’s a good reason to get a Greddy high-capacity diff cover?
Good deal. I'm going to contrast measurements with the stock setup; perhaps I had simply already tightened to spec without the torque wrench.
I suppose this is payback for not replacing the front bushings too; they're still in the bag. I had to use my press and some delicate blocking to insert the rear bushings as well, but the subframe isn't too heavy to manage.

I'll save the diff cover upgrade for a later date, put the money elsewhere for now.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Machine Auto part Gas

For those attempting this, install the diff before you install the subframe as there's no clearance to fit a (my, click-type) torque wrench between the trunk body and the mount.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
504 Posts
Man, I think it sucks. At least you didn’t have the axles installed. They suck to mess with. I’ve got the same StrongFlex bushings, they went in with no problem I am aware of. Had to make a jig to pull them thru the subframe but no cracks or anything. Guess it’s a good reason to get a Greddy high-capacity diff cover?
Hey, that was my idea!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I bought one of these Chinesium diff covers on ebay. It was actually really nicely made, and it fit great. My diff mount bolts torqued up just fine. Would buy again... Hard to argue for $175, though I think I only gave $125 for it at the time. My only complaint is the AN port plugs they supply are equipped with O-rings, meanwhile the port itself is chamfered so the O-ring will not seat correctly. I replaced the O-rings with copper crush washers and all was well.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
504 Posts
Is this the one, GReddy P/N 14510400?
Yup that's it, very pricey though. Just notice that picture of all the differentials, have any M85's you can live without?

I bought one of these Chinesium diff covers on ebay. It was actually really nicely made, and it fit great. My diff mount bolts torqued up just fine. Would buy again... Hard to argue for $175, though I think I only gave $125 for it at the time. My only complaint is the AN port plugs they supply are equipped with O-rings, meanwhile the port itself is chamfered so the O-ring will not seat correctly. I replaced the O-rings with copper crush washers and all was well.

This might be a better option.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup that's it, very pricey though. Just notice that picture of all the differentials, have any M85's you can live without?
I have three at the moment that I intend to use in the future, all should be in good condition. If you're really interested, send me a DM. What do these go for; are they hard to come by?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I hope to investigate the failure tonight and I'll share.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I'm not entirely certain what went awry. If I had to guess, I'd point at the grease the bolt gathered from my hurried lube job, maybe coupled with a weakened diff cover after 22 years of heat cycling. The bores were very clean, cleaner than the other covers even.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Gas
Wood Art Creative arts Snout Water
Helmet Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Wood

What color should I paint it? Maybe just a clear? High temp paint?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yep, I like the “raw aluminum with a clearcoat” look.
Yep, same.
Gas Auto part Metal Machine Font

Got any more pics of that sexy ass Logan lathe?
Surely, but you'll have to navigate: Index of /1955_logan_14_lathe_6560h/
I found this last summer, slowly learning to use it and clean it up. Need to order some tool holders and other pieces, but I can make it work for now.

I also scored this summer: Index of /doall_16_vertical_band_saw_1612h/
Not sure what I'll use it for yet, but it also works and I couldn't let it go to scrap.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yeah, I like that look on the diff cover.

Man you scored some good old iron! That lathe is huge and the vertical mill/hole wizard ain’t no joke either. IDK where you live but it could be Oklahoma. Very similar looking.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Bake time!
Charcoal Cooking Gas Automotive exterior Kitchen appliance

Man you scored some good old iron! That lathe is huge and the vertical mill/hole wizard ain’t no joke either. IDK where you live but it could be Oklahoma. Very similar looking.
My garage is slowly becoming a real shop. I'm in love with these machines ❤ . The gray machine in the DoAll band saw photos is a radial drill press: I did not save this one, no space and no use. I'm still looking for a mill of the same quality, that would be fantastic. The lathe came out of KS and the band saw was local, originally from IA I believe; I'm not in OK but it is beautiful.

I found this drill press locally too; it was built and served during WWII and lived in CA I believe: Index of /1945_allen_drill_press_hmdb/

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
If interested, I'm replacing my old Daewoo Mynx 40 taper CNC (fanuc control) next week.
Thanks for the offer but I don't have the room, or the funds, or really the need though it would be awesome

How many shavings is too many?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gear Crankset Rim

Also, my Zn plating + ZnHPO₃ conversion process (oiling in hot WD40). Every bolt gets this treatment though bright plating and chromating would be nice; we'll see how long it holds up.
Photograph Membranophone Light Drumhead Green
Automotive tire Dishware Rim Manhole cover Circle

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Semi-related ... looking for confirmation or advice ...
I have a number of M85 differentials and an M96. I'd like an M98, or even a Y38, but the former are hard to find or expensive, and the latter I'm not super certain about; my goal is better highway fuel economy, but I haven't fully considered the trade-offs. Having a selection to choose from would be nice though. I wonder: my research says I should be able to swap the ring gear from the M96 to the M85 and have an M98: 43:11, 3.909...
The service manual indicates setting the mesh, backlash, and preload is rather involved, and I might need a shim pack, beam torque wrench, and dial gauge. Has anyone performed the shimming and preload adjustments about the differential before, and would you recommend it vs having a shop perform the service? The tooling is not an issue, and the shim pack should be easy enough to find or have fabricated (or if I get lucky, have enough correct shims from the pumpkins). What should I expect a reputable shop to charge for the service? Thoughts?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Alright well I decided to just go for it. I'll keep the ring with the pinion from which it was mated as this seems ideal though in a perfect world it shouldn't matter: the pinions have slightly different cuts on them, the LSD pinion isn't ground around the edges like the open diff. Comparing the carrier shims they actually measure almost identical but I'll have to break out the micrometers to be certain; the shims come in 0.02 mm increments and the cheapo calipers couldn't really handle that. Shims from Toyota/Lexus are only ~$10 so not too bad.

I'm hoping to avoid re-working the pinion by keeping it installed while I sandblast the case, we'll see.

The backlash on the three differentials I checked all measured at the low end of the listed tolerance, so that's awesome.

(https://gallery.desmas.net/2002_lexus_is300/)

Also, this was a great resource:

·
5,793 Posts
Alright well I decided to just go for it. I'll keep the ring with the pinion from which it was mated as this seems ideal though in a perfect world it shouldn't matter: the pinions have slightly different cuts on them, the LSD pinion isn't ground around the edges like the open diff. Comparing the carrier shims they actually measure almost identical but I'll have to break out the micrometers to be certain; the shims come in 0.02 mm increments and the cheapo calipers couldn't really handle that. Shims from Toyota/Lexus are only ~$10 so not too bad.

I'm hoping to avoid re-working the pinion by keeping it installed while I sandblast the case, we'll see.

The backlash on the three differentials I checked all measured at the low end of the listed tolerance, so that's awesome.

(https://gallery.desmas.net/2002_lexus_is300/)

Also, this was a great resource:
Be careful to match the mesh pattern. If you are off on used gears. It will make noise and fail eventually. The service maul and all are doing it with a new gear. It is very hard to do it with used gears right.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts