Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I just wanted to see a show of hands on who has either an Altezza Sport mesh, or a TRD mesh grill.

I know of a product coming out, thin steel type insert for a direct replacement. different from standard expanded metal mesh.

I sourced it because I don't like the Altezza badge on my mesh grill, and found an alternative finally. I first wanted the Altezza mesh grill for the painted frame that matched the car vs. the TRD grill that's a CF sticker, but I can't get rid of the Altezza badge (I don't have an Altezza after all).

So, would just like to see a show of hands who'd be interested in some kind of alternative.

Thanks for participating!

Kane

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
U can do a Rod Millen grill which is like the Altezza grill and I think the RMM badge is removable. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
You can remove the altezza badge..take off those screws in the back with a hammer or plier...and then make holes where the badge covered up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I'd be interested in some kind of alternative. I thought the rmm oned dont come with the badge no more???

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Dirtyrican987 said:
Is there a grill like the altezza one that it is possible to put the lexus badge back on, i want the lexuz L there but a different grill
People do install the L on some of the Altezza grills (do a search ;) )

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this would be a different look, not even a mesh, well not an expanded metal look anyway, something very different.

I'm just trying to see who would want to buy just a replacement/alternative.

I don't want to mess around trying to get the Altezza badge off my grill, it still won't look right and no way would it be a clean separation.

This insert would be available for the three main types of mesh grills, the Altezza sport mesh, TRD mesh, and RMM mesh. Again, a very different look.

Kane

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I might be interested depending how it looks....but I'd also like to get keep all the mesh on my car the same (I have an Lsportline kit)...so if you can get other shapes that would be cool.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
i could get you a plain meshed grill with no badges...let me know...alot cheaper than the rod millen

if u want real cf get a vis grill

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
isthrizzy said:
I might be interested depending how it looks....but I'd also like to get keep all the mesh on my car the same (I have an Lsportline kit)...so if you can get other shapes that would be cool.

Yeah, I believe there will be 2-4 different looks.

I will have the first prototype most likely, powdercoated black.

Kane

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Romyo247 said:
and what will be the difference between this and a trd grill?
Instead of a mesh, it'll be a completely different design. I don't want to give it away until I get pics from the vendor. But it looks nothing like the mesh that comes on any of these grills.

Hard to explain without giving it away. I'm just looking to see a show of hands on who would want this and who wants to change up their grill a bit.

Kane

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I didn't mean different styles of mesh, but different sizes of the actual pieces (assuming these are pre-cut to fit a specific grill).

for instance, if I bought your mesh for my grill, I'd also want to get some for the lower portion of the front and rear bumpers.

Kanine21 said:
Yeah, I believe there will be 2-4 different looks.

I will have the first prototype most likely, powdercoated black.

Kane

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
TRD. (Carbon Fiber)

but, I took off my Lexus Symbol now. I'm running stealth.

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
isthrizzy said:
I didn't mean different styles of mesh, but different sizes of the actual pieces (assuming these are pre-cut to fit a specific grill).

for instance, if I bought your mesh for my grill, I'd also want to get some for the lower portion of the front and rear bumpers.
I've talked to him about this, and trying to make a grill insert for the top and one to match the bottom might be a bit difficult. Main reason being that the bumper grill/mesh is actually molded into the bumper cover, not seperable from the bumper like a trd or altezza is from it's frame.

He's looking into it, but not many people would want to buy a lower portion, since they'd have to cut it out of the bumper to do so.

Kane

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
OK, well for the Lsportline kit the pieces come off easily. So I could probably make my own if I could buy a sheet of this stuff.....that's assuming it is easy to cut with some snippers or something. What is the gauge (thickness) of this material you plan to use?

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JayMarino said:
TRD. (Carbon Fiber)

but, I took off my Lexus Symbol now. I'm running stealth.
A lot of people, if not most people, do this with their TRD grills. But a lot of people don't buy the TRD grill cause they don't want the CF look and would rather have the painted frame like on the Altezza sport mesh grill. I for one wanted the look of the Altezza sport mesh grill cause it had a painted frame, not a CF sticker that peals off after a while, not to mention I don't like the cf look all that much anyway. SO my choice was left at buying an Altezza grill, which has that badge epoxied on it, which I don't like, haha.

This insert I'm talking about is a COMPLETELY different look, not really a mesh, a few different designs, and it can bolt onto the back of a TRD, Altezza sport, or RMM grill frame.

Not to mention he'll be able to powdercoat them in a different colors.

Kane

·
Premium Member
4,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
isthrizzy said:
OK, well for the Lsportline kit the pieces come off easily. So I could probably make my own if I could buy a sheet of this stuff.....that's assuming it is easy to cut with some snippers or something. What is the gauge (thickness) of this material you plan to use?
I believe he can cut you a piece, he'd need dimensions though. I'll ask him tonight.

Kane

1 - 20 of 21 Posts