Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember back in 1993 when the GS300 (which was designed by Ital Design Giorgetto Giugario) came out? Well I thought that was a beautiful car. Anyways, in 1998 when the current GS series debuted Road & Track said that Lexus should have renewed their contract with Giugario. Automobile commented in their long term wrap up that the 1998 GS was unattractive...........
I personally think the current GS with its audacious looking face and aggressive stance is better looking than the one it replaced... What do you guys think??
Eric....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Lexus completely changed the 'purpose' of the GS with the new GS. The Giugario design GS was ment to be a sedan. And that is exactly what its shape portraied. But the new GS was ment to be a SPORTS sedan - a wicked one. And that is exactly what the new body style portrays. It was ment to look aggressive and it really does. Lexus didn't want it to look 'soft' like the earlier body style.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm with you on this Eric. I like the current one much better. I know lot of people may not like the light treatments on the back, but I'm a fan of them as well.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
i liked the new GS, i think it is much sportier looking, which i prefer. the old gs looks too much like the old acura legend, which i never liked. JMO

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bet that had this been an ES300 forum, then the majority of you would have preferred the old GS to the current one.....
Eric...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Agree. My mom had the older version GS300. There is no doubt that the new GS300 is more sporty and better looking. My neighbor has one, it is a very sweet ride.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Although I'm partial to the styling of the current GS, I could see how some of you find the older GS to be arguably better looking.....
Eric....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I have to say that I always like the old body style, until the new one came out that is. That is why I bought one.

I have to say, when I see the old one I still really like it, especially from the back. The front is just a bit too bland though. I only just recently sat in one a couple of weeks ago, and that is where I was disappointed. The inside is just so damn plain and unimpressive according to the new one, it hardly even looks like a Lexus inside to me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I liked the old GS, but it didn't have enough engine. Stylewise, the only flaw was the front was a little too plain. I didn't like the way they revised the taillights the last couple years it was out. The new GS is mighty fine too, but its styling is a little busy, especially around the C-pillar.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In relation to JW's car character post, it seems to me that the old GS300 (93-97) has a very different character than the current GS series..
Eric...

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I like em both. But I like the new one better. It's much more aggressive, and of course technologically advanced. Performance is up, and the car holds its value better too. I wonder what the next one will look like?! Anyone hear of any redesigns/spy photos??

black/ivory
17"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought the GS300 new in 93. The thing is a boat. Very sluggish- the motor needs about 3000 revs before it does anything; that's for normal city driving!

The steering is very light, like my friend's 87 Chevy Caprice. Granted, it firms up at speed.

It wallows around corners and is useless in the snow.

Very small trunk. I think the IS300 trunk is bigger

In all honesty, my friend's 94 camry coupe SE is more exciting to drive. It's quicker and can pull more g's, minus all the luxury accouterments.

As for style, I'm not sure. At times I feel the old GS is a little to "rounded" but the interior beats the new one IMHO.

I didn't know anything about about cars when I bought the thing and am trying to peddle it off for the past 2 months so I can get into the IS300 you guys 'n gals rave about so much hehe.

cheers,

mike s

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think the old GS was a huge step for Lexus and a competent effort that brought even more attention to the Lexus nameplate. I firmly believe that Lexus capitalized on this momentum by totally redoing the 98 GS. So, yea, I like the new one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts