Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I know what TRAC on and off does...and i obviously get what ECT Power is, but how does it effect the car? Does it worsen mpg? Just curious

------------------
Greatest of All Time
*Black on Black o1' IS
Fully Loaded
HKS Hiper Exhaust
H&R Springs
K&N Filters
Tint
Clear Tails

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by DarkzIS300:
I know what TRAC on and off does...and i obviously get what ECT Power is, but how does it effect the car? Does it worsen mpg? Just curious

Higher shift points, more responsive throttle and lower mpg.

DtEW, Your turn, dude.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I only use ECT every now and then. I have no need to get worse mileage than I already get. But when I see that someone needs to feel the power of my IS, I use it...

·
Registered
341 Posts
I try not to use it that often so as to save fuel and also so that I won't feel as though I'm missing it

------------------
Kompressor
`01 Millenium Silver IS300

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by greyIS:
I only use ECT every now and then. I have no need to get worse mileage than I already get. But when I see that someone needs to feel the power of my IS, I use it...
fuel consumption with ect on is not as big of a difference as u guys think.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Lexus_IS300 is right. I have the ect/on trac/off whenever the roads are dry. Which is ~70% of the time this season so far and I consistently get ~21 mpg. I don't know what it would be if I always had ect/off though. But I don't drive too aggressively, rarely above 5 mi. above speed limit and maybe one rabbit start every two days, and I don't race idiots on public streets.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
816 Posts
Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
DtEW, Your turn, dude.
Haha.
Hate to dissapoint ya on this one, but that's as much as I know too. I think the 2001 Lexus IS300 New Car Features manual (NCF183U) is supposed to expound on the functionality of each feature, so it should tell us exactly what the modes do to shift points, converter lockup, E-throttle response, and anything else. I'll get back to you guys on this point when I get this publication.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Do you get other NCF manuals too? I like to learn all the technical stuff.

Originally posted by DtEW:
Haha.
Hate to dissapoint ya on this one, but that's as much as I know too. I think the 2001 Lexus IS300 New Car Features manual (NCF183U) is supposed to expound on the functionality of each feature, so it should tell us exactly what the modes do to shift points, converter lockup, E-throttle response, and anything else. I'll get back to you guys on this point when I get this publication.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ditto on the gas-mileage with ECT on. I drive with it on all the time. 60% highway, 40% city. Consistently get 20-21 mpg. Tried turning it off, didn’t see any difference in gas-mileage. Like crontab, I don’t drive too aggressively, but will step on it once in a while.

G.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
Ditto on the gas-mileage with ECT on. I drive with it on all the time. 60% highway, 40% city. Consistently get 20-21 mpg. Tried turning it off, didn’t see any difference in gas-mileage. Like crontab, I don’t drive too aggressively, but will step on it once in a while.

G.
What the hell is wrong with me and my IS.....
I drive about 75% city (suburbs, speed limit is 45) and ever since i have gotten my IS (5 months ago) i have NEVER gotten anything better than 15-16 MPG.

I check it at every fill up and i dont know whats going on...I normally drive good, maybe jump on it like once a day or so...
I also rarely drive with ECT on, only when the power is needed....

Any thoughts guys

------------------
Later

Mike

ONYX 01, Fully loaded, Graphite Polished, Factory Spoiler, SRT Hi-Flow Intake, 20% Tint

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

well, that is if you don't take advantage of the difference in the car feel... I stomp on the gas when the ETC is on (lowering my MPG), but know that I won't get the same response from the car when its off (hence, I won't stomp on the gas).

·
Registered
30,635 Posts
Originally posted by mccarlin:
What the hell is wrong with me and my IS.....
I drive about 75% city (suburbs, speed limit is 45) and ever since i have gotten my IS (5 months ago) i have NEVER gotten anything better than 15-16 MPG.
Well I get around the same milage, but I STOMP on the gas all the time. I actually pitty the fool who buys/leases this car when I sell it back to the dealer in a few yrs... There's no way it will have a long life the way I drive it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
mccarlin,
It seems like you do out a lot of miles in the city. Yet that would still not justify 15 mpg!!! That’s ridiculously low!!! It must be all those damn stickers you were raving about, that added all that extra power to you car

[This message has been edited by Gennady (edited March 20, 2001).]

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by s0yb0mb:
Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:

well, that is if you don't take advantage of the difference in the car feel... I stomp on the gas when the ETC is on (lowering my MPG), but know that I won't get the same response from the car when its off (hence, I won't stomp on the gas).

if you step on the gas everywhere you go, it doesnt matter if you have ect on or not, YOU WILL waste gas.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

·
8,880 Posts
I've been driving w/ ECT OFF during winter. Now that the spring is here, ECT ON and Trac OFF!
Can't say I noticed much of a MPG difference.
I, normally, get around 18MPG, but I do like warming up my car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
23 Participants
Damack
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing