Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did a search, but search generally blows...

So mine are all nicked up, fogs are even worse. I want to polish them or wahtever to remove the scratches and nicks, any advice?

TIA

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I've had good luck with a radial buffer and foam pad, using Meguiar's medium cut cleaner, followed by show car polish. If they are really bad maybe you could use 2000 grit sandpaper wet-sanding them before using the buffer. Be careful though, some plastic lenses have a top layer that you don't want to sand through.

·
Registered
754 Posts
s0yb0mb said:
did a search, but search generally blows...

So mine are all nicked up, fogs are even worse. I want to polish them or wahtever to remove the scratches and nicks, any advice?

TIA
Soy stupid question what yr is your car? If its a 2001 go to the dealership they will change them for u for free.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
use mothers chrome polish to smooth it out. (cuz there is some grit to it)
then protect with mothers plastic polish/ wax. (much finer grit, made for plastics like our headlight lenses)
saw Mr. Chemist from autoweek do it. it cleaned up the headlight (on some random car) well
i tried clay bar, didnt to much. but the tails are like butter.

·
2,883 Posts
:lol:

Yes, the search works...you just have to know how to work that dang thang! :chill:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Yea. I had the same problem. I removed the bumper and used 2000 grit sandpaper, and a buffer. I just used regular polish, and those babies shined up real nice, and it got rid of 90% of the nicks and bumps. I removed the bumper so I wouldn't worry about burning the paint with my buffer. Keeping the headlights on the car helped with leverage. My headlights are 3 years old, and they don't look a day over 1. :wink:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Meguiar's had a new product out a couple months ago called clear plastic cleaner or something, I heard its reall good, transform yellow lenses back to clear...give it a try...

Matt :D

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Kamis300 said:
Soy stupid question what yr is your car? If its a 2001 go to the dealership they will change them for u for free.
Hmmmm good option. but I wouldnt let a dealer technician within 50ft of my car especially when it comes to taking off the headlights and putting them back on!! :lol: they all really just suck ass.

the 3M fine cut seems to be the best route.

·
Vendor
4,596 Posts
I did a little more drastic measure since I am 3+ years and driven in the snow. with 75K miles I had extensive pits. I did the following a got great results, but again tools come in to play:

1. Dry sand with 1000 grit using DA sander
2. Hand wet sand with 1K grit until the texture of the pits "melted" away and the sanding felt smooth. Used slow figure 8 motions to ensure uniform sanding and smoothing.
3. Repeat 2 with 1.5K and 2K wet.
4. Use plastic buffing compound and mini DA buffer using light pressure and moving rapidly. If you settle in one area too long it will burn and distort the plastic.
5. clean off glaze with soap and water.

Now they look pretty good and more importatnly they pass the light through them.

·
Registered
769 Posts
any similar solutions for the windshield? mine looks like shit when its really bright out....

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
inphinit said:
any similar solutions for the windshield? mine looks like sh*t when its really bright out....
Do what Im gonna go..... (assuming you have glass coverage of course)

Brick + Phonecall to insurance = New Windshield :lol:

My winshied is useless on a sunny day.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I think my windshield is just starting to have a problem. Looks like some little almost metalic sparklies when driving into the sun. Is that what it's like?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
is300sam2002 said:
I think my windshield is just starting to have a problem. Looks like some little almost metalic sparklies when driving into the sun. Is that what it's like?
Yeah but worse.. its like some lowrider bodyshop sprayed glitter all over my windshield :lol:

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I feel ya on the windshield. Mine looks like shit. Can barely see on a sunny day. How much is a new windshield? I might just have to spring for that nonsense.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I sometimes use an acrylic fishtank polish that helps remove miner scratches and helps clear the weatherd fog. It's by TruVu. TruVu also makes their own acrylic fish tanks. It works, good stuff.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Meguiars just came out with a new product called PlasticX , I tried it on my headlights and it is so far the best stuff I have used :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts