Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has done it, who can tell me the best way to do it, and what do you think i should use to polish scratches out of the face of the foglights?

thanks
David

·
Registered
251 Posts
DON'T.. when i painted the housing of my fogs.. my dad thought it would be a good idea to polish up the lens, so we tried to, but it just FUCKED it up. now my fogs look hazy, and not clear as they were before..

so my conclusion, don't mess with them.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
jb00gie said:
DON'T.. when i painted the housing of my fogs.. my dad thought it would be a good idea to polish up the lens, so we tried to, but it just FUCKED it up. now my fogs look hazy, and not clear as they were before..

so my conclusion, don't mess with them.
this is why you should xpel your headlights and fogs right when you buy them... so they stay clear forever

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok all, i got a set of jdm painted black, they are not as clean and look hazed already.

need to cleam them

David

·
Vendor
4,811 Posts
Here ya go

Need the following grits of wet/dry sandpaper

then you need a buffing wheel with a rouge compound made for plastic, (usually white) and a motorized device capable of high torque and 2500 rpm.

Wet sand with each grit and water running over the plastic (very important) in figure eight motions. Figure 8 because the palm of your hand will change which side it applies pressure with depending on pushing or pulling (anotomy trick). So do each step lightly, you should feel it getting let friction with each step.

After they are sanded they will look hazey, but they will be flat now an ready for polish. with the polisher DO NOT APPLY SIGNIFICANT PRESSURE. You will overheat the plastic. So move fast and light. This will take patience. re-apply the rouge occasionally. If you can stack up several buffing wheels it will make things more uniform and take less time. Die grinder will work with a buffing arbor (something to mount the pads onto) But a bench buffer works best.

Hope this helps,

Fig

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Fig said:
Here ya go

Need the following grits of wet/dry sandpaper

then you need a buffing wheel with a rouge compound made for plastic, (usually white) and a motorized device capable of high torque and 2500 rpm.

Wet sand with each grit and water running over the plastic (very important) in figure eight motions. Figure 8 because the palm of your hand will change which side it applies pressure with depending on pushing or pulling (anotomy trick). So do each step lightly, you should feel it getting let friction with each step.

After they are sanded they will look hazey, but they will be flat now an ready for polish. with the polisher DO NOT APPLY SIGNIFICANT PRESSURE. You will overheat the plastic. So move fast and light. This will take patience. re-apply the rouge occasionally. If you can stack up several buffing wheels it will make things more uniform and take less time. Die grinder will work with a buffing arbor (something to mount the pads onto) But a bench buffer works best.

Hope this helps,

Fig
:chill:

·
Registered
251 Posts
yo thanx fig. imma try it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts