Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,803 Posts
a new idea.... kinda cool.

i listen to a scanner at home sometimes, always interesting.

do it up.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
id never get my mother out of my car if i put a scanner in. the woman is addicted to her scanner.

i have to agree though, it could be a cool idea if you work it properly. let us know what you do...

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
LOL are they legal =D

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
you can intercept radio transmissions legally, its transmitting on their frequencies that is illegal.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
heheh DO IT!

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Woh woh woh guys.

I use one of these things for both police and fire. (Im a vol. firemen)

But anywho, most countys have moved to a digital 900mhz system with motorola trunking. To pick up that stuff you are going to need a scanner that will run you about 500-600$

Not to mention that police rarely say "hey im going to check this guys speed" the only way it helps is if you hear numerous pull overs in one area you know that there is a speed trap set up there.

There is a map some where, that shows if a scanner is leagal in your state. For most it is legal, but if you use it unlawfully you can be arested. Other states your just not alloud to have one (canada as well)

Im pretty sure Ill. is one of those states where you can have it.

Go Here: http://www.radioreference.com/ and register for there scanner forums for more info.
-Wes

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ISpimpin said:
But anywho, most countys have moved to a digital 900mhz system with motorola trunking. To pick up that stuff you are going to need a scanner that will run you about 500-600$
So, the one that I have the link for will not pick up the local police? :(

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
i would just spend my money on V1

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
If there not already on the new motorola system they will be very soon :(

·
Registered
260 Posts
ISpimpin said:
If there not already on the new motorola system they will be very soon :(
Lots of departments are still using VHF, especially small to medium sized cities and counties. The 800/900mhz stuff is expensive, very expensive, so with the cost of upgrading + the amount already invested in their current infrastructure their are a lot of places that won't upgrade for a long time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts