Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so I just recently bought the Pro Lex Performance Supercharger Kit from a good member here (DreamStream2k). He was never able to finish off the build. I bought this kit with the intention to finish it off and have this bad boy on in a couple of months or less depending on how ready I am. I have spent some time researching all the components of this kit and the capabilities of each part so I have some basic knowledge. I am still researching and learning more about supercharging. I am looking for more advice on here as to what I need or don't need to finish off my build. Hopefully, this thread will be a platform for any others out there looking to supercharge their cars.

My Goal:
My goal is to be able to build a reliable car with between 300-350whp. Now I might want more later on but I will prepare for that with this build. I will do whatever needs to be done to achieve my goal. From what I've read, this supercharger set up will be able to achieve those numbers.

Info About My Car:
I have a 2003 IS300 Auto with 78k miles on it at the moment. This is my daily driver so reliability is a must. I’m not looking to track my car whatsoever. I don’t care for 1/4 mile times or anything. I just want a fast car for street driving. Once in a while just blow someone away and have them thinking what just happened. Lol. Here’s a list of the engine mods I have so far. Pretty much all easy bolt-on stuff.

Engine:
-Turbo East headers
-Turbo East y-pipe w/ high flow cat
-Custom mid pipe (resonator delete)
-Apexi WS2 exhaust
-Joe-Z intake
-Blitz LM drop in filter
-Teck grounding kit
-Figs heat shield

I should be able to make good power with supercharger paired with these mods. I know I will have to get rid of the intake and filter though and maybe the heat shield.

Parts I Have Gathered So Far:

Pro Lex Performance Supercharger Kit:
-Vortech Supercharger V2-SQ (S-Trim model – capable of 20 psi boost)
-PLP supercharger brackets
-PLP ABS relocation bracket
-Vortech 3.33" 6-rib pulley (good for 5-7 psi)
-Extended pulley belts
-Stainless steel oil feed line
-PLP intercooler pipes, couplers, and t-bolt clamps
-Mushroom style air filter and filter guard
-PFS black front mount intercooler 13”x24”x3”
-Blitz BOV
-(6) 440cc RC Racing injectors
-RC Racing harness adapters
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
-Custom Injen heat shield
-AEM FIC engine management
-Boomslang plug-n-play harness V2 for AEM FIC (2002+)

Note:
-The air intake pipes have been modified to eliminate the need for the by-pass air diverter valve (the holes are plugged).

Those are all the parts I received with the kit.

Other parts I bought so far:
-(6) NGK spark plugs (BKR7EIX – one step colder)
-NGK spark plug wires
-B&M transmission cooler
-Brian Crower 264 cams
-SRT valve stem seals
-Titan cam gear
-Stri boost gauge
-Stri oil pressure gauge
-AEM Uego wideband
-Turbo East gauge pod
-Supra TT head gasket
-ARP head studs
-Tuned Parts non-vented radiator panel

Any advice is appreciated. I should be near completing the build and installing anytime this year. Thanks for looking!

Update: 12/7/2010

Here is the current updated list of mods done in prep for boost:

Engine Parts
-Supra TT head gasket
-ARP head studs
-Fully built head
-SRT valve stem seals
-Brian Crower 264 cams
-Titan cam gear (-4 degrees)
-B&M transmission cooler
-Turbo East headers
-Turbo East y-pipe w/ high flow cat
-Custom mid-pipe (resonator delete)
-Apexi WS2 exhaust
-Custom o2 foulers
-NGK spark plugs (BKR7EIX - one step colder)
-NGK spark plug wires
-Teck grounding kit
-FIGS heat shield
-Tuned Parts non-vented radiator panel

Supercharger Parts
-Vortech Supercharger V2-SQ
-PLP supercharger brackets
-PLP ABS relocation bracket
-Vortech 3.33" 6-rib pulley
-Extended pulley belts
-Stainless steel oil feed line
-PLP intercooler pipes, couplers, and t-bolt clamps
-Mushroom style air filter and filter guard
-PFS black front mount intercooler 13”x24”x3”
-Blitz BOV
-(6) 440cc RC Racing injectors
-RC Racing harness adapters
-Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
-Custom Injen heat shield
-AEM FIC engine management
-Boomslang plug-n-play harness V2 (2002+)
-Stri boost gauge
-Stri oil pressure gauge
-AEM Uego wideband
-Turbo East gauge pod

I now have everything I need to get me up to my goal of at least 300whp. Just gotta install the supercharger and get a good tune and off I go! Stay tuned!

·
Registered
622 Posts
I am to knew to the boost scene to offer advice on the parts you are asking.

But congrats on getting the build started and hopefully you will be making the numbers you want shortly

:approve:

·
Premium Member
11,898 Posts
Go ahead and build it. It will take you all of 2 days to want to turn it up. 7PSI on a blower wont feel like much. You'll feel it but not hard. Id say go ahead and start with a pulley that puts you in the 12-14psi range. It doesn't take very long to get used to the power especially with a S/C because its not an instant kick in the ass like a turbo.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
If you're going to stay with this kit, getting the GTE headgasket should be good enough for you. If you're going to go for high numbers, 325+, than you may want to do the internals.
There are cars running with 7lbs of boost (SCs and Turbos) that are fine with just the headgasket. To be honest with you, good luck trying to get 10 psi out of that blower.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
well u havent done much research on s/c apparently. You dont need any head gaskets nor gte internals for the power a s/c will give u out of the bag. U will definitely get near 292whp if not a tad more with the s/c and the mods u have already. At the end it will all come to your tuning. Making sure the obvious things are taking care of like the transmission vb upgrade and cooler, and maybe do a compression check just to make sure the car is in top shape.

Tapping into the engine seems to be done more often by people going with higher boost (turbo guys). But internal work will be needed if u want to push more juice out of the blower (pass 300whp). I believe Rialto mike was moving 392whp on that same kit u got(only diff is ur blower handles up to 20psi) but only after a whole engine built. He knows more than i do about this kit u might wanna contact him. Or look back at dreamstreaks thread about this exact same project, he asked most of the question u have and im sure ull find the answers ur looking for :cool: Good luck on the built i kinda wish i jumped on it when i had the chance lol.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
After what I've seen with S/Cs here, I never believe their high end of their CFM/PSI rating.

IMO to save yourself S/C rebuilds, keep the psi low, 7-9'ish and therefore save your money and keep the OE headgasket and internals in place. If I were in your shoes (ie this is just me), I would use water/meth if I were to go higher with the psi, rather than compression changes. The power curve of the S/C is easy to tune for, and again, blowers around here never seem to last when pushed at or even near their limit (Rialto, Edgy, 2TGEU just to name a few that had blowers 'built' yet they still frag).

Glad to hear Boomslang makes an FIC "V2". I'm working with what looks to be a V1 right now, no sensor noise filters, no wiring to the B1S1 or B2S1 AT ALL and some other work. Hopefully they fixed all of that.

B.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
^^^ agreed I had my blower rebuilt and I over spun it. I then had it "race prepped" then I still over spun it after all of 4 days. Now I'm goin turbo.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Im sure everyone here is going to tell you build it right the frist time if you know you're going to turn the boost up at some point, but you might also want to consider some transmission upgrades besides a tranny cooler or even buy another tranny if you plan on turning up the boost.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To be honest with you, good luck trying to get 10 psi out of that blower.
Can you elaborate on this. It looks old? Should maybe get it rebuilt?

well u havent done much research on s/c apparently. You dont need any head gaskets nor gte internals for the power a s/c will give u out of the bag. U will definitely get near 292whp if not a tad more with the s/c and the mods u have already. At the end it will all come to your tuning. Making sure the obvious things are taking care of like the transmission vb upgrade and cooler, and maybe do a compression check just to make sure the car is in top shape.

Tapping into the engine seems to be done more often by people going with higher boost (turbo guys). But internal work will be needed if u want to push more juice out of the blower (pass 300whp). I believe Rialto mike was moving 392whp on that same kit u got(only diff is ur blower handles up to 20psi) but only after a whole engine built. He knows more than i do about this kit u might wanna contact him. Or look back at dreamstreaks thread about this exact same project, he asked most of the question u have and im sure ull find the answers ur looking for :cool: Good luck on the built i kinda wish i jumped on it when i had the chance lol.
Yeah, I know I can just slap the kit on with stock internals and stock head gaskets but can run at only low boost as you mentioned pushing out about 290 whp. What I'm trying to do is build for higher boost. I want to go pass that 320+ mark if I could. I did contact Rialto Mike before already. He told me to get GTE internals and leave stock GE head gasket and said I should be able to push 350+ easily. I just wanted some more ideas and what you guys think. I did look at DreamStream2k's thread but he has different plans than I do. Thanks for your input man and everyone else too.

·
Premium Member
4,435 Posts
I dont think RIALTO_MIKE ran an intercooler on his setup. Anway, if I were you I would ditch the blower you have and try to get the P1SC-2 Procharger. They seem to hold up alot better then the Vortech, plus its self contained so you will not need to run oil lines. I am going the SC setup soon and have all the mods you have and then some, I am going to try to hit close to 370ish.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm glad that there are still guys that wanted S/C.

I would just do everything right in the first place - no shortcuts.
I did put the GTE headgasket!
It looks like ur heading in the right direction just like what i did.
Collect all the necessary and great parts and go from there. GL with the build.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I dont think RIALTO_MIKE ran an intercooler on his setup. Anway, if I were you I would ditch the blower you have and try to get the P1SC-2 Procharger. They seem to hold up alot better then the Vortech, plus its self contained so you will not need to run oil lines. I am going the SC setup soon and have all the mods you have and then some, I am going to try to hit close to 370ish.
I am just going to stay with the Vortech for now. Since no one has really said anything about upgrading head gaskets and internals, I will just keep it stock for now. I think I will just go ahead and slap on the kit and run at 7 psi to see what results I get. I can always go back later and do internals or head gaskets for higher boost.

I'm glad that there are still guys that wanted S/C. GL with the build
Thanks man. Curious, what all did you do to push out the 350whp you have? So you did put in GTE head gasket. Is that 2.5mm in size?

Does anyone know how much whp I can push safely running stock internals and head gasket?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
^^^ 300whp or less would hold up. With my set up my installer recommended to upgrade the HG for prevention and in the future if I wanted more power with a smaller pulley.

YES! I was not expecting to get 350whp but my toyomoto kit has a bigger rotrex blower just like Dasgalloway and of course my tuner is Toyomoto itself.

I dont remember the size but it was 4 layers. If u can see the stock OEM HG it was like an aluminum foil very thin! But I think with ur set-up u will be fine with the stock HG for now.

·
Apricot idea killer
17,994 Posts
I intended to just stick with ~7psi, but threw in a headgasket during install, which just dangled the smaller pulley in my face each day I drove the car. It had noticeable power increase, but like others have said that only satisfied me for maybe two weeks or so.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^^^ 300whp or less would hold up. With my set up my installer recommended to upgrade the HG for prevention and in the future if I wanted more power with a smaller pulley.

YES! I was not expecting to get 350whp but my toyomoto kit has a bigger rotrex blower just like Dasgalloway and of course my tuner is Toyomoto itself.

I dont remember the size but it was 4 layers. If u can see the stock OEM HG it was like an aluminum foil very thin! But I think with ur set-up u will be fine with the stock HG for now.
Thanks for your input man. My plans are just like yours, but did you get the ARP headstuds too?

I intended to just stick with ~7psi, but threw in a headgasket during install, which just dangled the smaller pulley in my face each day I drove the car. It had noticeable power increase, but like others have said that only satisfied me for maybe two weeks or so.
I'm with you guys on this one. I am going to go ahead and put the gte head gasket on and run a size smaller pulley to push out 8 or 9 psi. Hopefully, I don't run into any problems. I am going to push back installation of the kit for a while. I am first going to go do my timing belt and water pump service along with putting in the BC cams, valve stem seals, shims, Titan cam gear, gte head gasket & possibly ARP headstuds and then throw the kit on afterwards. I'll hit you all up with an update when I get cams on and maybe dyno results to see what I am pushing N/A at the moment so I can compare later on with the supercharger gains.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I've yet to hear anyone having to rebuild a Vortech blower from any of the PLP kits. I ran the crap out of mine, even after the blown ringlandings, but by then I had the GTE bottom end put in. My issue was I couldn't get the blower to show anything above 9psi. I wanted to go 12-14 psi. Realistically I did lower my compression with the GTE Headgasket and bottom end.
I even called Vortech and told them I have this pulley with this blower, why can't I see more than 9 psi? I ended up picking up a T-Trim blower that just by swapping it out, I saw 10-11 psi. In the end, i sold the kit, sold both blowers. IMO the Vortechs take much more abuse than the other blowers.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've yet to hear anyone having to rebuild a Vortech blower from any of the PLP kits. I ran the crap out of mine, even after the blown ringlandings, but by then I had the GTE bottom end put in. My issue was I couldn't get the blower to show anything above 9psi. I wanted to go 12-14 psi. Realistically I did lower my compression with the GTE Headgasket and bottom end.
I even called Vortech and told them I have this pulley with this blower, why can't I see more than 9 psi? I ended up picking up a T-Trim blower that just by swapping it out, I saw 10-11 psi. In the end, i sold the kit, sold both blowers. IMO the Vortechs take much more abuse than the other blowers.
Interesting. I wonder why you couldn't get past the 9psi. Did you have the right pulley size? Also, what version was your Vortech at the time? Maybe it needed an upgrade. Was it tuned properly? What was your CR? There are lots of reasons but we can keep on guessing. I guess I will find out sooner or later if I can push it past the 10psi that you had a hard time passing.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
i had the V2-SQ that came with the PLP kit along with the pulley that came with the kit. I than bought a pulley that according to Vortech would bump up the PSI. I even had a custom crank pulley mounted on the stock crank pulley so the blower would work off the correct size crank pulley and the blower pulley. I even sent it in for a maintenance, had Vortech check it out. Eventually I ended up buying a T-trim blower. Good luck though, I had fun with it, but of course the boost addiction will have you wanting more. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.