Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if any of you have gotten the drivetrain warrenty voided in direct response to using the plp shortshifter

also i remember mike explained it once before, but why does the shifter whine when you accelerate

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
soodxn said:
i was wondering if any of you have gotten the drivetrain warrenty voided in direct response to using the plp shortshifter

also i remember mike explained it once before, but why does the shifter whine when you accelerate
Here's an excerpt from SEMA (http://www.sema.org/content/?ID=8124) about the federal warranty law.

The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought.

The shifter will whine when you accelerate on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th gear. You will also hear some chattering.

·
Nygmatic
2,683 Posts
no chattering here, just a whine. it has to do with the dampening material inside the shifter. the oem one is larger and has more dampening material built in. while the PLP shifter has some dampening material in there, its not enough. you will get used to the noise and maybe eventually grow to love it as your own :)

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
so if you're one of the lucky people to get a transmission replacement under warranty would you have to take out the PLP before taking it in or just leave it? (i'm assuming they'd need to take out the shifter to replace a transmission)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts