Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a plp short shifter gen 2.....Im recently having problems shifting into 4th and 5th gear. It almost feels like you are going 5-10 mph and you are trying to shift back to 1st gear...as if it's gonna grind or something. Today..I took off the plp shifter and notice it needs some lube or oil. What should I do..right now, when I move the shifter to the left, it gets stuck (like how you suppose to shift to 1st and 2nd) but Im still in neutral. Does this have anything to do with tranny oil?

And one more thing....on the very bottom of the short shifter, where the metal ball is...is there suppose to be that little plastic piece moving around cuz I think that white plastic piece is stuck in the hole where you stick the shifter in.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
how long have you had the short shifter on?...it might just be your transmission thats messin up not your short shifter

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
There should be a plastic cap on the bottom of the shifter, I remember hearing/reading the first batches of the shifters didn't have one and PLP sent them to the customers. Try lubing up the shifter with white lithium grease to see if that helps out.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
^ what he said. also, pics may help. all the fluid you described. where is it comign from? theres no oil or fluid inside the shifter itself. how much fluid you talking about? also, the nylon cap usually gets stuck down in the hole as decribed. you wont be able to get the one plp gives you in there, you reuse the oem nylon cap on the end of the short shifter.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive been using the one plp came with.....although it does get stuck in there and today i had to use a pick and pull it out. I greased it up and no help...the tranny is fuked I believe. I also put my stock shifter back in and lubed it up....same problem. Sometimes 1st gear is hard to get in....a lot of times it wont go in 2nd gear....I have to reclutch and shake it and then yank it in. For third gear...it goes in nicely but when i let go the clutch, it vibrates a lot more than usual. Like when my hand is on it...it feels like a slow vibrator lol. Im gonna call lexus already..fuk it. Wasted my 100 something on the RP oil + labor. Wasted around 20 more for buying grease and the fkn pick to pull the plp white cap out of the tranny. I tried pulling the oem nylon cap off but it was too hard. Ive been using the plp shifter for awhile with no problems till now....ITS THE TRANNY!!!!
:pissed:

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive heard it is quite possible for short shifters to fuk up ur tranny. Is this true? I just called prolex to see when the gen3 is coming out. Guess what that idiot told me...the gen 3 has no eta and they are working on another project. Then that mofo told me there are decent b&m shifters out there....what kind of idiot works for one company and tells me to buy a different brand. I hung up on him...that moron.

·
Registered
352 Posts
still having probs ha.

I would just go to the dealer, car is still under warranty.
Make sure you put the old shifter back.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
forcedIS said:
still having probs ha.

I would just go to the dealer, car is still under warranty.
Make sure you put the old shifter back.
Yah...I put the stock shifter back in yesterday and let me tell you...that stupid fkn bushing was so hard to get out. I bought some picks at checkers and it took me like an hour to get out...I slowly rotated it to come out. But yea, I went for a test drive and I was having trouble getting in 2nd and 3rd still vibrates. I took it to the dealer today and they gonna call me probably tomorrow to tell me whats gonna happen.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i actually went to lex with the plp shifter still in, and they warrantied my clutch, tranny, flywheel and everything. i was shocked. they foremand and techs didnt know much about the manual tranny at all. i guess you could say i got over on them, but all that matters is that i got everything replaced for free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts