Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

just wonderin if anybody got the plp g3 l8est heatshield under ur is300's hoods. if so, where did the heatshield exactly bolted? plus does any have disadvantages such as rubbin to any harnesses in the engine bay?

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
that doesnt look any different than the generation 2...What type of header do you have? You might want to consider the LMS one....Ive been loving mine ever since.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nothing much in my 05 is300 engine for a moment. Only JoeZ intake pipe for the engine performance and PLP Front Strut bar for suspension stabilizer.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Dakomo said:
nothing much in my 05 is300 engine for a moment. Only JoeZ intake pipe for the engine performance and PLP Front Strut bar for suspension stabilizer.
Yea...go to www.l-tunedparts.com and check out the lms heatshield. It looks very nice and works well also. Unless you getting a xerd header...I think any other header will work with this heatshield. If you wanna see pix of it installed, you can either search or you can msg me on aim...I have some pix of it installed on my car.

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Ok E12iC46 he asked about the PLP unit and you direct him to the LMS one... any REAL reason why?

Ok back to the subject, it doesnt look any diferent from the G2 one, so if thats what you want, get the G2 for around 100 bucks.

Note: despite the ad fo LMS with a dual layered etc etc etc, will not do much more for heat reflection than any sheet of aluminim. Why? cos once heat soaked, the dual setup will not be anymore efficient than even your DIY model at home.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Dakomo said:
just wonderin if anybody got the plp g3 l8est heatshield under ur is300's hoods. if so, where did the heatshield exactly bolted? plus does any have disadvantages such as rubbin to any harnesses in the engine bay?

The heat shield is bolted to the engine block. There are 2 10mm x 1.25 pitch holes. The rear one is already has a bolt holding something. The front one has nothing and the tapped hole is easy to spot. Mounting is easy.

As far as rubbing, there better not be any. Potential spots are the header, O2 sensor wire, and ABS unit.

I just have my homemade double layer job but the basic mounting points are the same....actually I am also using the throttlebody studs in the middle of the engine block as well for extra support but neither the LMS nor PLP use them.

Note: despite the ad fo LMS with a dual layered etc etc etc, will not do much more for heat reflection than any sheet of aluminim. Why? cos once heat soaked, the dual setup will not be anymore efficient than even your DIY model at home.
Kponti is correct here. Aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat so once it heats up, it heats up.....the benefit is that it will heat up to around 170 or so and radiate that heat up instead of the 400 degrees from the manifold.....hence a really noticeable effect of the shield is the absence of that blast of hot air when the hood is opened.

However in defence of the dual layers...this does depend on the construction...I made one with the second layer also bolted to the engine block and after an hour of driving it was as hot as the first layer.....meaning I could leave my hand on it for 2 seconds max.

So what I did was stand off the second layer from the first layer using thin bolts and after an hour of driving the temp of the second layer was significantly lower...at around 120-130 which is cool enough to keep my hand on it indefinitely, a success.

However, once the car is stopped for a while, everything gets equally hot.

pics of my single and double layer shield:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=252138

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
CEB said:
The heat shield is bolted to the engine block. There are 2 10mm x 1.25 pitch holes. The rear one is already has a bolt holding something. The front one has nothing and the tapped hole is easy to spot. Mounting is easy.

As far as rubbing, there better not be any. Potential spots are the header, O2 sensor wire, and ABS unit.

I just have my homemade double layer job but the basic mounting points are the same....actually I am also using the throttlebody studs in the middle of the engine block as well for extra support but neither the LMS nor PLP use them.

Kponti is correct here. Aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat so once it heats up, it heats up.....the benefit is that it will heat up to around 170 or so and radiate that heat up instead of the 400 degrees from the manifold.....hence a really noticeable effect of the shield is the absence of that blast of hot air when the hood is opened.

However in defence of the dual layers...this does depend on the construction...I made one with the second layer also bolted to the engine block and after an hour of driving it was as hot as the first layer.....meaning I could leave my hand on it for 2 seconds max.

So what I did was stand off the second layer from the first layer using thin bolts and after an hour of driving the temp of the second layer was significantly lower...at around 120-130 which is cool enough to keep my hand on it indefinitely, a success.

However, once the car is stopped for a while, everything gets equally hot.

pics of my single and double layer shield:
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=252138
Oh yeah CEB, I forgot about your little experiment and DIY heatshield. I have NO doubt that it does help the intake pipe stay cooler. And to be honest with you, if your setup had the same shape as the LMS and PLP ones, with the second layer covering the whole top of the unit, I believe you will have the most efficient heatshield for the IS300 and GS300 to date!!! Better than any out there right now!

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
kponti said:
Ok E12iC46 he asked about the PLP unit and you direct him to the LMS one... any REAL reason why?

Ok back to the subject, it doesnt look any diferent from the G2 one, so if thats what you want, get the G2 for around 100 bucks.

Reason is because I have one myself and like it. Second, im sharing some information about other heatshields incase he only heard about the plp one. Third, if you care about looks...imo, the lms looks a lot better than the plp one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts