Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a sound shop install my kenwood 7100. To begin with he routed the factory deck in the trunk so the factory amped still worked. Now I have a engine noise when the car is running. Can anyone give me instructions on how to install a kenwood 7100? All I find is how to install a pioneer. I paid this creep $230 bucks and he wants me to pay some guy he knows another hundred to get rid of the noise.

I knew I should of just done it myself but i wasnt comfortable tapping into the speed sensor and reverse wire.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Hmm, what did you meant when you said "he routed the factory deck in the trunk so the factory amped still worked"? I can't get past your grammer. Can you please elaborate?

FYI:

1) The factory amp is by the passenger glove box.
2) There is no speed sensor wire for the DNX7100.
3) There is no reverse sensor wire for the DNX7100.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He said he could not get the radio to come on without having the factory radio hooked up to the internal amp. I thought it was bs!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Maybe he didn't want to take the time to find which wire was the remote turn on for the stock amp as well as the speaker inputs to the amp. If so, he sure did a hell of lot more work than necessary though. Our wiring schematics are easy to find (Seloc.net).

Do you have stock Nav? Cause you have to keep the stock radio in the loop if you have nav. People like to relocate the radio (which has a Nav PC board in it) to the trunk to keep Nav functionality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i do not have nav.

so if i tap into the speaker wires i can take the stock radio out of the trunk? And hopefully that will eliminate my engine noise. The noise stays on even when you turn the radio off. I have never had so many problems from trying to install a radio!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Judging by how everything is working. I am hoping that all i will have to do is tap into the speaker wires and that will be it.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
The guy who installed your unit is an idiot.

Go back and get a refund.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
My guess is that the installer didn't know about the Metra Harness, or didn't know how to get it working with the wiring in the '01 so that's why he kept the stock HU to allow use of the stock amp. Either way, I agree, he was kind of retarded and most likely did not fully understand how the stock HU connects to the stock amp.... if he wanted to use the stock amp, he should have used the metra harness. And yes, the Metra harness does work with '01 with some very slight modifications.

Also, more importantly, if you do bypass the stock amp, just remember to replace your rear speakers!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So, if you keep the stock amp feeding the stock speakers with a signal from an aftermarket deck, you can keep the rear speakers? This makes sense, but I want to be sure.
Yep, that's right. The stock rear speakers are designed to work with the stock amp. In fact, if you keep the stock amp, you are also forced to keep the stock rears. What the Metra harness does is allow aftermarket HUs to feed a signal into the stock amp, and turn on the stock amp. Aftermarket HUs cannot (successfully) power the stock rear speakers directly. For more info, read the stickies.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Yes, pretty much what drinkmalk said.

Either spend $100 on metra harness, and get him to mod the metra harness to work with the 01 amp, or spend some $ on rear speakers, and just tap your Kenwood DNX7100 into the speaker wires and bypass the stock amp.

Also, for those that aren't aware, the DNX7100 IS a Nav.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep, that's right. The stock rear speakers are designed to work with the stock amp. In fact, if you keep the stock amp, you are also forced to keep the stock rears. What the Metra harness does is allow aftermarket HUs to feed a signal into the stock amp, and turn on the stock amp. Aftermarket HUs cannot (successfully) power the stock rear speakers directly. For more info, read the stickies.
The "unique" rear speakers are what have been holding me back from upgrading the audio system. I don't know why I never thought of this. I feel stupid. lol

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THANKS,

for all your replys I got my radio fixed for a bottle of crown. No more factory radio, internal amp, or engine noise.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn... I would've fixed for a bottle of crown too!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts