Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys,

Dumb question to which I need a quick answer. Where in the world is the wheel lock keys for the stock alloys? I dropped off my car at pepboys today to get a new set of tires mounted, and they said they can't find it.

I told the mechanic to look for them in the spare tire compartment space, where the jack is supposed to be. He said he can't find it there, either! :pissed:

Where is this thing? Please help.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
typically it's in a small, fake leather pouch
stuck in the middle of spare tire compartment
just above the large well space....
hope this makes sense... good luck!

·
8,849 Posts
2001 model had it attached to a handle inside plastic cover for the spare.
2002+ models use the above mentioned pouch attached to the removable handle of the car jack.

P.S.
Check their work afterwards. In the past, one member had his uni-directional tires installed in the wrong direction.
Also check your rims for scratches. They can even be inside of the rim. I noticed many tire installers can't tell aluminum alloy wheel from steel one (there's a reason why they work installing tires), so they use wrong type of equipment. On 2 separate occasions, there were marks left inside of the rims. One install shop even bent a few of my rims.

P.P.S.
For tire installations, I go to a dealer. Even though it costs a few times more, at least they know what they are doing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys.

I told the mechanic this, and he said that he can't find it. I'm 100% sure you guys are right, but this mechanic guy must either be blind or I must have misplaced them somewhere...

·
Registered
30,476 Posts
gobears said:

I told the mechanic this, and he said that he can't find it. I'm 100% sure you guys are right, but this mechanic guy must either be blind or I must have misplaced them somewhere...
mine was attached to the spare tire "bucket" handle w/ a zip tie...

G

·
s0yb0mb said:
gobears said:

mine was attached to the spare tire "bucket" handle w/ a zip tie...
mine wasnt zip tied. 8)

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should have gotten a card from the dealership with a code on it that, if worst comes to worst, you can use to order a new key.

When I bought my IS new from the dealer there was a handfull of small items that were missing. Eventually the dealer provided me with all of them except for the key to the locking lugs. Since they had given the code to me they couldn't even order a replacement.

So I had to order the key myself then they reimbursed me for it.
Never got the storage pouch though. The replacement fits in the tool tray above the spare, I wrapped it in some cloth to keep it from rattling.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I looked for the key myself yesterday. Dang, can't find it eitheR!!! :pissed:

My first guess was that I misplaced it somewhere (as I distinctly remember seeing it when I first got the car), but then my mind turned decidedly more sinister, and I started suspecting people who had access to my car and had motive to jack me up. (pun intended).

As some of you know, I've had problems with my car rattling and stuff, and took my car in about 4 times to different dealers to try to get it resolved. (the rattling is still there, but I try to live with it now). I got into a shouting match with one of the dealership managers in the past because of his awfully poor service, and both he and I were fuming at the end of the conversation. I think he may have taken the wheel key to screw me over. Oh well... I can't just go around accusing people without evidence, but at least helps me get it off my chest.

Anyhow, taking vlad_a's advice, I'm going to go to a dealer to get the tires installled. lexus of englewood, which is where I bought the car, told me that they have a master to get the lock off, and have other locks that I can purchase from the dealer. And overall, the cost isn't all that high, either. $84 for a set of four to mount and balance... so that's where I'll be headed next.

Thanks for the help, guys! Hopefully it won't snow before tomorrow.

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
Open the manual book.
In there, you should find a small clear plastic bag with your wheel lock details. Look for your lock number. It may be possible to order a replacement lock directly from the manufacturer (Lexus does not manufacture the locks).

On my previous car, I removed all of the locks and installed regular nuts (Advance Auto Parts has similar looking nuts) after breaking one of the locks off. It took me 3 days of work to remove it. Risk of stolen rims here is far less than breaking a lock.

P.S.
From my experiece, when you suspect someone of doing something on purpose, it usually turns to be the other way around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts